DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so my buddy showed me how to change the oil in my truck, 08 Ram 1500 Big Horn, we drained the old oil and added Castrol Edge W/Titanium (gold jug) 10w-30 and took off the factory oil filter and added a Fram Tough Guard (TG2). i noticed it was making a high pitched sound today and checked up the hood and noticed a little oil was on the bottom of the oil filter so i wiped it, tightened the oil filter pretty good, check the oil level, added just a bit more oil still in the "Safe" zone but i still have this high pitch sound coming from around the oil pan/oil filter area. any suggestions?? when i first start her up i dont hear it, it seems to take a few minutes til she gets warm.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
you could put 10 w30 in it
5w 20 is recommended because of the MDS

thick oil would NEVER cause a squeal
neither would a cheap oil filter

You have a different issue

·
Registered
63 Posts
you could put 10 w30 in it
5w 20 is recommended because of the MDS

thick oil would NEVER cause a squeal
neither would a cheap oil filter

You have a different issue
I agree. The oil wouldn't cause the noise. It's a long shot, but you might check and make sure the old oil filter gasket was not stuck to the housing when you took it off. When you installed the new filter, it will not seal properly agains't another gasket. This would explain the leak around the filter, and it could be sucking air between the two gaskets. You should have NO oil leaking around the filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts