DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Hit something on the road the other night doing 65 mph. Punched right thru the front tire. 30 seconds later the low tire pressure indicator illuminated, followed shortly by the EVIC showing the tire pressure page. The pressure was dropping fast so pulled onto a side street under a street lamp. Got out and heard the hissing leak, hole was between the middle threads.

OK, time to change the tire.

Grabbed the tools from under the front seat. Impressed with how easy to get to the tools and how well they are packaged.

Grabbed the owners manual. The section on removing the spare tire is missing one important piece of information which is the reason for this post. When you insert the jack extension tool thru the access port and into the receiving cone and turn counter clockwise to lower the spare - it is the female end of the jack extension that you insert, not the male end. This took 40 minutes and then help from a security guard for me to learn.

Once the spare was removed, changing the tire was a breeze.

Putting the tools back was easy. Nice design.

An hour at the dealers and $33.50 later, good as new.

A note is that the spare does not have a pressure sending unit, so the EVIC will complain when you start the truck.

Hopefully y'all want need to try this for a long, long time.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
:goodpost7td: An excellent post, it's something that happens rarely but when it does it can be very frustrating. I actually tried everything shortly after getting my RAM just too make sure it all worked properly. Yes, dropping the spare down took me awhile to get sorted out as well.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Nice info, thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on the Jack!

Interesting about the spare tire TPMS. My 08 Wrangler and my wife's 12 Wrangler both had TPMS on the spare tire. Infact, more than once the TPMS alarm has gone off due to the spare tire being low on pressure

BTW - I hate TPMS. It's just another bad idea from our constantly interfering government. I rank it right up there with ABS. These ought to be choices and not mandates. Try ABS sometime when you're off road, pointed down on a big boulder, when the ABS starts to let go, (I put in a bypass switch for the ABS on my 08 Jeep).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on the Jack!

Interesting about the spare tire TPMS. My 08 Wrangler and my wife's 12 Wrangler both had TPMS on the spare tire. Infact, more than once the TPMS alarm has gone off due to the spare tire being low on pressure

BTW - I hate TPMS. It's just another bad idea from our constantly interfering government. I rank it right up there with ABS. These ought to be choices and not mandates. Try ABS sometime when you're off road, pointed down on a big boulder, when the ABS starts to let go, (I put in a bypass switch for the ABS on my 08 Jeep).
Never been on a big boulder, but I wonder if this is why I keep almost getting stuck in beach sand even in 4x4...

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Thanks for the info.... Great to know....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts