DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change the alternator, and I was looking at the alternatives.
I've found a Bosch AL6509N really cheap (89.99) in Amazon, it gives 90 amps and it says that it's valid for the 98 Ram 1500.

Any clues? I accept recommendations, trying to save some money (the other option is the ultima from O'reilly for $146 and lifetime warranty.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Is there any warranty on the Bosch? And if there happens to be a problem with it is it still feasible and economical to save the $50 and have to wait until you get it straightened out?

Have you checked locally for a rebuilder that'll give you a warranty. They can usually do it in a day for around $50.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
If you are completely stock, no fancy amplifiers, excessive lighting, or other power drains, then 90 Amps is enough & Bosch is a good brand
As to that particular model i can't say anything

Up at the top of that ad it reads that it is NEW, down below it reads that all parts are new, why would they say that if it is not rebuilt, just strange to me
Who the hell is the seller Damlow Prices
that price is less than 1/2 of a NEW alternator of the same stock number

If i were you, i would look in the phone book for a shop near you that rebuilds
Starters, Generators, & Alternators, usually they sell new & rebuilt Batteries too
Look under AUTO ELECTRIC Repair & Service

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I think I'm going to buy one new with lifetime warranty. It may be worth spending a bit more but being sure it's going to last. Probably the one from autozone.

Edit: The one from autozone is re-manufactured too :4-dontknow:

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Orielly's carries them also

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just replaced the alternator in my '97 on Wednesday. I went to a local auto parts store (not a chain) and I bought a new 136 amp alternator with a lifetime warranty for $92. There are deals out there, just gotta look for them. Autozone, O'Reily and all them are good, but sometimes, they can cost more than other shops.

The lifetime warranty is always the big ticket in deciding to purchase too. :smileup:

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Glad to hear it!

Most of the independent auto parts stores around here are just about swallowed up by the chain stores. If you happen to have one near, I'd use it before it's gone too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I moved to near Fort Worth (Tx) a month ago, and I'm really lost about shops and places to go, or look for a trustful mechanic. So I will appreciate all the help you can give me. If someone in the forum lives around here, please pm me.
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts