DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me 09 Ram is telling me it's time to change the oil. I'm not about to let a dealer rob me on an oil change so I'm planning to do it myself. I've never laid eyes on a Hemi until I bought one so it just as well could be from outer space cause I don't know squat about it. In fact, I've not taken the time to crawl underneath to see if I can actually spot the drain plug and filter.

Is there anything I need to know before I attempt this operation? Or is it basically the same as a V8?
And how do I reset the computer once it's done?

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
To rest the computer. Turn on the ignition but don't start it - then press the gas peddle to the floor three times within ten seconds of turning it on. The computer os now reset.

E

·
0 Posts
Changing the oil on the truck is pretty much the same as any other vehicle.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
It's cake...just did mine!!! Oil filter is vertical right above the passenger side steering rack.....use a thick gallon baggie around the fiter after it's loose to catch the oil coming down. The truck takes 7.0 quarts of oil 5W-20. Git er dun!!! :)

·
Premium Member
32,597 Posts
If your doing your own oil changes & you are still within the 36,000 mile warranty

keep all your receipts & start a file with the receipts, mileage, date & anything else that may be important
you will need them to prove service was done IF some warranty issues come up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, big Mahalo. I went in for the recall service and inquired about the 30,000 mile service and plain oil lub service at my dealer, the wanted 689 + tax for the 30k, then said "Oh it will be more because you have a 4X4", and quoted $76 + tax for a regular oil change, that's insane even for Hawaii, land of the mark up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just changed the oil in the hemi. Up on ramps (cant crawl underneath like I used to) but the drain plug is easy and the oil filter is a snap with a wrench. Thanks for the tip about the plastic bag catching the oil from the filter. Never thought of that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
not to change the subject but do the hemi engines not have the little trough that runs down on a 45 degree angle right under the filter? the 4.7 engine does and to my suprise it actually caught all the oil.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yes mine has the little trough under the filter. I wish it weren't there cuz it makes it hard to grab the filter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts