DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a week ago I heard a clunk while backing out of my driveway in my 2009 Dodge Ram 4x4. I jacked up my front end and found my drivers side wheel has slop in it. I'm pretty sure it's the ball joints (+94k miles). Looking around online I see that the 4th Gen doesn't have replaceable ball joints and the entire control arm needs to be replaced. The dealership quoted me $172 for the upper and $470 for the lower, that's each plus $95/hr labor. I can find them online for much less. I was hoping to save a few bucks and I enjoy working on my truck.

I was wondering how much time/how difficult is it without Air Tools?

The dealer book time says 1.9 hrs, but I was looking at some of the other threads and saw torque specs at 200 ft-lbs. I don't have a pneumatic impact gun, but I'd be willing to invest in +200 ft-lbs torque wrench if it's worth it.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
I can tell you that it's quite simple to do the control arms without air tools. If you want to know for sure what the problem is, I'd find out if your dealership or a local chain repair shop does free suspension inspections. They can tell you exactly what the problem is then you order the parts and do it yourself.

Is the slop top-bottom or side-side? If it's top-bottom then it's the ball joint, but it could easily be only one of them. If it's side-side then it's the tie rod. I wouldn't replace everything unless you knew they were all bad.

Also, invest in a 1/2" torque wrench anyways, most are 250ft-lb and are useful for so much when working on these vehicles. Also, you can torque your own wheels after a swap or rotation and know for sure they're not jammed on by a tire monkey with an impact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have an appointment with a local chain to get a free estimate. When I was checking the slop it was mostly top to bottom, but I think there is some side side play as well.

I'll get the "quote" from the chain shop and see.

What's the opinion on doing both left/right side at the same time? My passenger side was solid, but I'm wondering how long that will last.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I took it to the local chain shop, and they found out my wheel bearing assembly was bad. After changing that the clunk didn't go away, so now they are telling me it's the Sway Bar end that is popping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts