DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 SLT Crew Cab. It does not have fog lights and I'm looking to eventually install a bull bar with fog lights. I don't want to cut into any of my dash for the switch, and I want it to look clean. I found the same headlamp switch online with the fog lights feature to hopefully replace my current one without the fog light capability. If I switch out this switch, is it a simple wiring job, or will I have to dig into stuff that makes it not worth it (i.e. computer programming)?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
From looking at my truck I don't think you'll have to mess with any programming, as far as I can tell it's just a simple push switch just a matter of wiring it up. I'll try and take some pictures of my switch if you'd like if you need a reference. If you have the center console maybe consider installing a switch in in one of the coin pockets, just seems like it might be a more cost effective option and can look really good if you purchase a decent switch.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Your truck may already be wired for fog lights as my 2011 was. If that is the case all you need is the factory switch that has the fog light button and you are there. You should be able to use the factory wires that should be taped just behind your bumper to control any lights you decide to install. Only thing is that you will have to have the fog light sales code added to your truck to activate the switch.

It is probably a wash in cost to activate the code or buy and wire up a good switch/relay combo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. A bit off topic but still to do with mods, I have chrome door handles and am looking to replace them with the body color (black) handles. Anyone know any places to find some and the difficulty level of replacement?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Thanks for the help. A bit off topic but still to do with mods, I have chrome door handles and am looking to replace them with the body color (black) handles. Anyone know any places to find some and the difficulty level of replacement?
You can go down to the parts department of your local dealership and buy them. I can't imagine the process being to difficult as much as it would be time consuming. All you have to do is remove the door panel to access the parts needed to remove it, like you would if you were replacing the door speakers.

naturally if you wanted to go the cheaper route, you could always use Plasti Dip, Primer, Color Match Paint, and a Clear Coat. After a while you'd have to do it again but I'd imagine it's cheaper than buying 4 new door handles :smileup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Help???

I have a 2011 ram 1500 and I recently bought a 3 gauge pillar with gauges. And the gauges have the yellow 12v constant power the red 12 v on/off switch the black ground and a orange 12v constant headlight dim wire thing.my problem is idk where to install the orange 12v headlight wire...if anyone can help me out with this ill be very happy

·
Registered
290 Posts
on my 2012 the fog light wires are not there. it looks like dodge has two different wiring harnesses for these trucks one w/fogs and one w/o fogs. I'm looking into what needs to be done to add fogs using the factory switch w/fogs button.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the info to purchase a fog light capable factory switch so my truck cab will look as clean as possible and I won't have to cut into anything. If my truck does indeed have the fog light harness installed from factory, will it be able to handle light force hid lights or would I need a new harness to piggy back the current one?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts