DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have another (probably stupid) question, but how necessary is it to change out spark plug wires? I've had multiple vehicles with over 100k and my last one I sold at 200k after I put 100k on it and have never changed any spark plug wires. I've always understood this as a performance mod, or replace when broken, have I been starving the ol' girl with poor spark? I intend to change the plugs shortly as I have 113k on her and I'm doubtful they've ever been changed, debating on doing the wires also. Thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So for a daily driver that's never seen a drag strip or super deep mud is it a necessary thing or more something just to say you really baby your truck or something? And if I were to do it, any brands to go with who would make a lime green cable for me by chance?

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
So for a daily driver that's never seen a drag strip or super deep mud is it a necessary thing or more something just to say you really baby your truck or something? And if I were to do it, any brands to go with who would make a lime green cable for me by chance?
No, replacing the plug wires is actually in the maintenance schedule every 60,000 miles (listed as 'ignition cables'). Like I said, wiring tends to break down and increase resistance over time and use. That's probably why they tell you to replace them every 60,000 miles (in both A and B schedules).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the info. Yes it's for the Hemi I own. Sorry for the delay on the reply, been busy at work.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
If you are planning on replacing the plug wires, I would seriously encourage you to swap to the Taylor Shorty wires, they will turn the dual coil into a single coil so you'll have a burn similar to the '06+ rather than the off-compression spark that the early hemis used. It was an attempt at clening out the combustion chamber oon the off-cycle, but it never really did anything.

·
Registered
698 Posts
If you are planning on replacing the plug wires, I would seriously encourage you to swap to the Taylor Shorty wires, they will turn the dual coil into a single coil so you'll have a burn similar to the '06+ rather than the off-compression spark that the early hemis used. It was an attempt at clening out the combustion chamber oon the off-cycle, but it never really did anything.
Can you expand on this a bit? I'm coming from a long life of Chevy engines with 1-plug-per-cyl and a distributor, but I understand ignition systems fairly well...including many motorcycle ignitions. This is my first Dodge ever and obviously my first hemi. Not being familiar with the different systems in different year models of hemis, are you talking about a spark cycle that is occuring when a given cylinder is in its exhaust stroke vs. a spark not occuring at that time? Many motorcycle systems have coils with dual leads, and there is often a harmless and maybe even beneficial spark during the exhaust cycle in a cylinder. Does my '12 hemi have 2 coils per cylinder, 1 coil with dual leads, or what? And how does this differ from the earlier model you mention? And exactly how does the plug wire swap you mention work in this case? I know I could do a bunch of research and come to some conclusion on these questions, but it sounds like you're already familiar with these issues. Are you saying there's a benefit in doing away with the exhaust cycle spark, and if so, why?

·
Registered
340 Posts
All good questions TNC. I will watch for good answers...

Me..

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked at the Taylor Shorty wires and I like what they have to say about them. Hard to find though... They mention that the loom tray removal is optional, do I need to do this, or what exactly is it? I've never heard of the loom tray. I, unlike the previous posters, am not very familiar with ignition systems. Walkin in the dark here. lol. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Can you expand on this a bit? I'm coming from a long life of Chevy engines with 1-plug-per-cyl and a distributor, but I understand ignition systems fairly well...including many motorcycle ignitions. This is my first Dodge ever and obviously my first hemi. Not being familiar with the different systems in different year models of hemis, are you talking about a spark cycle that is occuring when a given cylinder is in its exhaust stroke vs. a spark not occuring at that time? Many motorcycle systems have coils with dual leads, and there is often a harmless and maybe even beneficial spark during the exhaust cycle in a cylinder. Does my '12 hemi have 2 coils per cylinder, 1 coil with dual leads, or what? And how does this differ from the earlier model you mention? And exactly how does the plug wire swap you mention work in this case? I know I could do a bunch of research and come to some conclusion on these questions, but it sounds like you're already familiar with these issues. Are you saying there's a benefit in doing away with the exhaust cycle spark, and if so, why?
this only applys to 03-05's, after that they did away with wires and have both plugs firing at the same time from coils..

I did run shorty's years ago but i did run into misfire issues at higher rpms so i went back to long wires (Taylor 8.2's)

I still have the shorty's and use them at car shows...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, Fred. Does my '12 have 2 coils per cylinder or one coil with 2 leads? I see mention of some talking about replacing plug wires on what sounded like gen 4 models, but I'm not sure. Is there one coil with 2 leads where one plug is directly capped into the coil and the other plug has a plug wire? Hate to sound so ignorant of the design elements of this engine, but this pickup was the only 1/2 ton candidate at the price and performance level for my needs, and I wasn't really concerned that the engineering of the truck would turn out to be crap...regardless of not having been a Mopar guy. I've always heard almost nothing but good feedback from most owners of these later Rams, and so far I haven't been disappointed either.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Thanks for responding fred, but let's remind him that when you say 'high rpm' you are typically talking about ranges that most people aren't running in.

TNC, your '12 has 2 plugs per cylinder and has one coil firing both plugs at the same time. The hemi has been this setup since '06, the op is in the '03-05 range so he has the cross-cylinder firing sequence which wasn't as great as the dual fired coils in the later generation.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thanks, Cdnoil. Yeah, I knew about the 2 plugs per cylinder...kind of like the old Nissan NAPS-Z engine. I just wasn't clear on the coils, firing, and wiring issue and wasn't aware that some models had changed ignition design since the hemi started coming in the pickup. That clears it up a lot. Still one more question. Are there two plug wires for each coil and cylinder, or is the coil snapped directly on one plug and has a plug wire leading to the second plug? I've seen some coil packs that attach directly to the plug and some that attach by a plug wire for each coil and plug.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Oh man, that's a nice add-on. I've used MSD ignitions on my last 3 GM vehicles and have always had good performance out of all their components. I don't really plan on going as indepth into this truck like I did my last vehicle. I had to work to get to the kind of power this truck came stock with, so for right now the exhaust and intake mods I've done are probably all I'll need. Still, I've never left any of my vehicles alone for very long, so I'll probably fall victim to a little of the mod disease as usual...LOL! Thanks for info, Cdnoil.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
True CD, you guys will probably never run as high an rpm as i do (almost 7k) or spray at the same time so it will most likely be ok in everyones applications...

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I use the MSD super conductors, no feedback through the radio or any other problems
plug wires? they caused my engine to have random misfires after a period of time...same with another local friend of mine...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts