DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
One good thing about our RAMs is that there are many different grille inserts available to change the look of the truck.

Some have mentioned how it was an easy 20 minute job.. either they are geniouses or totally full of it. Others have mentioned the problems I encountered but offered no advice. I hope to help others avoid teh pain I just went through.

-- It takes just 10 minutes to remove the grille from the truck. Just make sure you tape up the painted bumper pieces so you dont scratch it up. When removing the christmas tree fasteners from the radiator support sight shield, put your prying tool/ screw driver under both the panel and the clip. Do not put it under just the cap of the fastener. there are 6 christmee tree fasteners. 2 at the front corners of the radiater and 4 smaller ones along the front of the panel. The OEM part number for the smaller ones are 6030441.

--You have to give the 2 fasteners at the bottom of the grill a bit of a yank to remove. The fasteners on both sides on my 2016 broke a little when I did this so best to have new fasters ready. The Mopar part number is 68213168AA. There are 4 of these plastic clips. The 2 bottom ones broke on me with just moderate pressure during removal. They are not strong. To remove these fasterners, push on one of the 2 tabs on the other side of the grille and twist/ pry up and out.

-- Next remove the ten 10mm bolts from the back of the grille support and remove the plastic support. Now comes the hard part. You have to remove the right and left black plastic grille closure panels. They are both pressed on and have a little lip where they clip on. They were not made to be removed as there is no way to get them off the secure tabs w/o mangling the parts at least a little. This part took me about 2 hours. I used a combination of a taped up motorcycle tire spoon (lever), strong thick wooden chop sticks, small screwdriver, etc. You have to try and push the tab back while pulling up hard. The problem is there is another plastic tong that prevents you from pushing the tab back. Nearly impossible w/o bloody knuckles and curusing. You really need to try different tools and approaches for each tab. For some, I had to bend that little tong up with a small screwdriver to take the pressure off the tab so I could push it back. This probably means that if you try to reuse these closure panels again, they might not be quite as tight as they were from the factory. I probably could have reused mine, but with just 1000 miles on the truck, I wanted to use new ones. They are $15-$20 each and the left/ right OEM part numbers are: 68197700AB and 68197701AB.

--Getting the grille inserts off was easier. I used a medium sized flat blade scewdriver with a decently wide tip. Insert the screwdriver sideways into the side of the tab and turn clockwise or counterclock wise to lift the clip off the tab while pulling the insert up. Not to bad compared to the closure panel removal. About 15 minutes

Assembly is quite easy and grille should be back on the truck in 15 minutes after you replace any broken plastic fasteners.

Hope this helps someone avoid some of the grief I went through that could have been avoided.

mike

Reactions: Desert Ram

·
Registered
818 Posts
lolz - I broke two of the 68213168AA clips when I pulled my grille to plasti-dip it,
mainly since the write-up I read only mentioned expecting the top two..
BUT THERE"S FOUR !

anyhow yes you may wish to have couple handy.
theyre fragile... but
theyre SUPER CHEAP like $0.61 each

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The new grille is back on the truck.. I replaced the chain link fence look of the Longhorn grille with the better looking horizontal slats of the Big Horn Grille. Looks much much better. Super easy snapping the grille pieces back together and putting back on the truck.

The only real hard part was getting the closure panels off the back of the grille. The new panels I bought for $13 each snapped on real easy. It is just getting them off that is a pain. I did notice that the slots that clip in, the clip (hook) only overhangs a slight bit, while other slots have no hook and are just a pressure fit. If I were to do it again, I might have gone after it with more force to pull them off as you do more damage trying to pry them off with screwdrivers from the top. Finding the right size peices of wood to stick under the plastic panel to leverage them off the clips would probably be the best way with minimum damage if you want to try and reuse those panels. At just $13 each, you just might want to order new panels along with the new clips so you get the job all done right at once and everything is night and tight like it came off the assembly line. Those 4 special plastic fasteners that hold the grille on are fragile and you will surely break a "wing" off one or two of them. Get them in advance.

mike

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
The chain link fence looking grilles must rattle like hell when driving down a country road.

There is a 2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab at the same auto body shop as mine, you can hear that grille rattle when they move the truck into the storage area, there is a little bump just as you enter that area

this style grille is what i am referring to

By the way, if i had not had my grille apart, i would not have any idea what you are trying to describe

on something like this topic, we need pix :4-dontknow:

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
I've had my grill off many times, due to the headlights and the canbus adapters needing frequent changing. I have also changed my inserts twice now. At first those right and left black plastic grille closure panels confused me however I realized that just pulling straight up on each clip with some good force they pop right off and don't break anything. No tools needed and no bloody knuckles.

Swapped limited inserts for honeycomb so I could put my Mopar badge on.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
After the color change, sport bumper added, & grille insert change :)

before the project began, truck is on the left in this pix

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
I was going to change the grill on my Laramie, but I saw a Laramie with the Sport Grill that was painted the same color as my truck, I also saw one that they changed the Grill to the Ram Unlimited Grill, It didn't look good either (at least IMO). Also I didn't like the price to get the Grill. More than likely they are going to change to that grill when they do the Re-Design. And at almost 600 Green Stamps (even with a Calif. Re-Sale Number) it's not worth it.:kissass:

That's what the parts dept. quoted for the grill. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
When changing my headlights I broke several of the clips. I went to order them from Mopar and for like $4 in clips they wanted over $50 in shipping. I found the clips on clipsandfasteners.com cheapest. I bought a box of like 15 for somewhere around $10 and replaced the ones I broke and now have some on hand in case I pull the grille again.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The chain link fence looking grilles must rattle like hell when driving down a country road.

There is a 2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab at the same auto body shop as mine, you can hear that grille rattle when they move the truck into the storage area, there is a little bump just as you enter that area

this style grille is what i am referring to

By the way, if i had not had my grille apart, i would not have any idea what you are trying to describe

on something like this topic, we need pix :4-dontknow:
Also, I love the AEV Prospector!

·
Registered
107 Posts
When changing my headlights I broke several of the clips. I went to order them from Mopar and for like $4 in clips they wanted over $50 in shipping. I found the clips on clipsandfasteners.com cheapest. I bought a box of like 15 for somewhere around $10 and replaced the ones I broke and now have some on hand in case I pull the grille again.
So many different kind of clips there...:doh:
Can you tell me which one ?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
So many different kind of clips there...:doh:
Can you tell me which one ?
Sorry, it's the part number that the OP listed originally. On that website they are listed as Chrysler Grille Moulding Clip 68213168AA. :smileup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've had my grill off many times, due to the headlights and the canbus adapters needing frequent changing. I have also changed my inserts twice now. At first those right and left black plastic grille closure panels confused me however I realized that just pulling straight up on each clip with some good force they pop right off and don't break anything. No tools needed and no bloody knuckles.

Swapped limited inserts for honeycomb so I could put my Mopar badge on.
Ok, this whole thread was helpful, this post especially. I spent a while trying to figure out how to remove those closure panels. Read this post and tried just pulling them up. One minute or so and both sides are off! Thanks!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
rebel grille

has any body tried to put the rebel grille and bumper onto their trucks yet? Ive been thinking about trying it but its 1100 just in parts to buy and if it doesn't work then I'm screwed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts