DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Ram 1500 5.2 automatic. My truck has been great, till a few months ago. It is having a charging problem at idle in gear. I have replaced the alternator, the battery, replaced the cable ends, replaced the alternator again, checked all the wires, checked the fuseable link, I cleared all the codes, replaced the alternator again, getting ready to replace the battery again. Still I have a problem at idle in gear, it drops down to 10.5 volts. Anyone that has something else to try it would be appreciated. I really need my truck back.

:3-smash:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Idle

What's your idle speed. Could it be that the idle speed is simply too low. What's the charging voltage at 1000rpm? 2000rpm?:thk:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hooked up the computer to the truck and the idle is at 650 where the computer says it is supposed to be, the voltage is at 13.6 to 13.8 volts the rest of the time.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Ok

Well, if an independent voltmeter says you have 13.2+ volts then I don't think you have a charging problem. You have a faulty gauge problem. As long as the charging voltage is above battery voltage and goes us when you drive, you will be ok.:smileup:

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
I've run across this problem in the past.

Sounds like you have a bad voltage regulator. However, te reg is in the engine computer. There are a few options. You can wire in an aftermarket regulator, replace the ECM, change the pully and drill out the holes in a GM alternator and single field it, or have the ECM rebuilt.

That's an external regulator

1 - 5 of 5 Posts