DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I was just wondering if there is a cheap way to activate the gps/nav on my in dash system on my 2014 ram i have the one with no cd player approx 7 inch screen, just would be nice to use the one in the truck but I dont like the $600 price to activate! thanks for any help, T

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Walleveca,

Unfortunately there is no other way around the activation. The only other option is to buy a radio that already has nav and sell yours.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you have the 8.4 radio system, you can get the software down loaded from dealership. I did that and cost was $700. plus labor 1 hr. Expensive but for me, worth it.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,426 Posts
RAM gives the dealer the activation code so no work around. Mine came factory. The climate controls and settings are incorporated in these systems so replacing them with just a radio isn't an option. There is a company that sells the 8.4 with the Nav activated and a kit to install it in RAMs without the high end system. I saw the name somewhere on the forum.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Make sure if you get it activated, current maps are included or you will be ticked. Roads, speed, lanes will be missing or wrong.

·
Registered
501 Posts
RAM gives the dealer the activation code so no work around. Mine came factory. The climate controls and settings are incorporated in these systems so replacing them with just a radio isn't an option. There is a company that sells the 8.4 with the Nav activated and a kit to install it in RAMs without the high end system. I saw the name somewhere on the forum.
You can switch from the 8.4 RA3 NA to the RA4 NA by just swapping head units which costs just about as much as activating the nav at the dealership. (Not 100% on the radio code for the 8.4 nav ready)

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,426 Posts
You can switch from the 8.4 RA3 NA to the RA4 NA by just swapping head units which costs just about as much as activating the nav at the dealership. (Not 100% on the radio code for the 8.4 nav ready)
Right. The link posted above has the head units. I think everything comes activated but not sure if any dealer programming is needed. Also not sure if any future updates from uconnect can just be added like factory.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Don't do any of the above if you want to go the cheap route. If you already have a factory 8.4 Uconnect system without NAV (known as 8.4A VP3 RA3) all you need to do is go onto the classified section of this forum, the "other" forum, ebay, or a salvage yard. The unit you want is a 8.4AN VP4 RA4 and is a plug and play swap. If you want to experience as little upgrade issues as possible, use a radio from a 2013 or 2014 RAM truck (1500,2500 or 3500 doesn't matter).

I bought mine from LKQ Online for $275 shipped. Expect to pay anywhere from $250 to $500 for one. I wouldn't spend more than $550 for one. Then you can sell your 8.4 RA3 for around $200.

Bonus of upgrading the radio is 3D maps and HD Radio. It literally takes 10 minutes to install and only requires that you get a 4 digit unlock code from a dealer (free) or a website that sells the codes ($10-$20). Input the code when prompted and presto, cheap NAV FULL upgrade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't do any of the above if you want to go the cheap route. If you already have a factory 8.4 Uconnect system without NAV (known as 8.4A VP3 RA3) all you need to do is go onto the classified section of this forum, the "other" forum, ebay, or a salvage yard. The unit you want is a 8.4AN VP4 RA4 and is a plug and play swap. If you want to experience as little upgrade issues as possible, use a radio from a 2013 or 2014 RAM truck (1500,2500 or 3500 doesn't matter).

I bought mine from LKQ Online for $275 shipped. Expect to pay anywhere from $250 to $500 for one. I wouldn't spend more than $550 for one. Then you can sell your 8.4 RA3 for around $200.

Bonus of upgrading the radio is 3D maps and HD Radio. It literally takes 10 minutes to install and only requires that you get a 4 digit unlock code from a dealer (free) or a website that sells the codes ($10-$20). Input the code when prompted and presto, cheap NAV FULL upgrade.
QUESTION I HAVE A 2019 challenger R/T super track pack but came with 7 inc uconnect go figure I want to upgrade it To 8.4 found 2016 challenger at junk yard with gps on 8.4 can I swap that one to my 2019 challenger and it will work ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
QUESTION I HAVE A 2019 challenger R/T super track pack but came with 7 inc uconnect go figure I want to upgrade it To 8.4 found 2016 challenger at junk yard with gps on 8.4 can I swap that one to my 2019 challenger and it will work ?
My knowledge on this is limited to RAMs. All I can say is "maybe"?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Late to the party but I just activated my navigation and updated the map for around $280 total. I went through a seller on ebay called navi-expert-uk. You buy codes from him. You buy the code, send him a picture of the request code your vehicle displays, send it to him and he send you back the activation code. Same goes for the map update which he provides the files too available via download. His prices are listed in GBP so you have to convert to know what you are actually paying. His map listing you can make an offer. Which he accepted my $70 offer. I'm very satisfied. I could have spent double and still would not have gotten what I did.
EDIT: I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. You have to read his listing to see if it works with your vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It appears you can do this yourself for 8.4 RA3 navigation upgrade. There is a uconnect youtube video for installation instructions and then you can buy the code directly from Chrysler. For the month of August 2020, they have it on sale for $420 (usually $595). Dealerships are still charging $600 + for the upgrade despite Chrysler having this product on sale. Here are the links:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts