DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know of any ways of making this beast lose weight? i have an 04 hemi quad cab and id love to shed a few lbs if anyone has any ideas please share....

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
hmm, never thought of this, the biggest difference would to trade it in for a singlecab, but we will avoid that.

If you have a tonneau cover, it could be removed.
Tailgate can be removed.
resonator(s) cut off
Don't fill your tank all the way, maybe half everytime.
Drain your windshield washer fluid???

I really don't know to be honest.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Don't know many ways to lighten up a truck. They're build heavy, unlike cars. A few things I could think of are a fiberglass hood, remove the tailgate, install a low capacity fuel cell. Switching to aluminum heads over the stock cast iron will save you a good 50lbs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm..lol yea i ditched the spare in my mustang and of course a day came where i needed it.lol. well ill keep looking around.Id like to keep the tailgate thanks to mythbusters proving you get better gas mileage with it and in the upright position....but maybe its worth a shot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i made a reference to my friends LS1 in another thread about being open header...he also has gutted over 1000 LBs from the car.besides interior things that i could think of i should message him.I just figured if there were items that could be driven without in a car that they would just be heavier in a truck and able to lose them too.lol.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Well here are two things I can think of if you can live without them. 1) Air conditioner - taking out the condenser and accessories you could eliminate about 50 lbs i'm guessing, just make sure to get a new serpentine belt. 2) Windsheild washer tank - take out the reservoir and lines, a full tank could probably weigh upwards of 20 lbs or more.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Jenny Craig, maybe?
I always had to laugh when guys would try and get their cars to weigh less for the track. They would talk about shaving off things that were 5-10 lbs, but weighed 220 racing their car. They could afford to lose 40-50 lbs themelves to make their car faster, lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well ouch to the jenny craig comment...im just big boned d*mnit! lol.yea suprisingly my 24s are a little more than half the weight of my factory steel/chrome wheels and A/Ts. I was pleased at that. Yea im thinkin ill need fiberglass hood and replace the rear bumper with a fiberglass or poly roll pan and the front with a poly one.Damn all the steel.Why couldnt these people just stop thinking about function for once.lol

·
Registered
875 Posts
Even though your 24's are lighter, that doesn't mean they are better. They are putting a lot of weight further away from the center of the wheel. That is an increase in centrifical mass, meaning that it takes more work to get them moving, regardless of their actual weight being less. So 24 inch wheels may look good (depending on who you ask) they are not beneficial for racing and optimal fuel mileage.

Another way to loose weight is to remove the sound deadening material in your cabin. Rip all of that out.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Fiberglass bed (may need to be custom made). Replace the glass with Lexan and mount them fixed in the up position and get rid of those unweildly power window motors. Remove all stereo components. Replace stock seats with poly race buckets. Replace all factory restraints with 5 point harnesses. Rip out the airbags and associated components.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think we are getting into a race only truck now. These are some things you don't want to do to a truck you drive everyday.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
My drag car was a daily driver for a while (only slightly illegal)! By the time it was done, the only thing street legal about it were the exterior lights and the fact it was still registered and tagged.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yeah, you have a point, most of those things are street legal. But I know I want my daily driver to have a few of the comfort things that you don't find in a drag car, like airbags, lol.
And don't lexan windows have a tendency to fog up or fade easier? thus it isn't a real good choice to put them on a car you drive regularly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts