DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check Engine light came on and message popped up saying “Engine will not start in 200 miles”. Is this some sort of ransom attack?
Have only driven this new to me truck about 100 miles, fingers crossed that I’m not going to regret this big purchase. Checked fluids levels and all good, don’t see and loose wires or anything out of ordinary.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Never owned a diesel but that message baffles me. Never heard of a message that tells you your truck won't start in so many miles. Just talked to my boss and he said he has heard of this type of message and it is probably that you have something that requires some type of service coming up. Read your owners manual and or go to the dealer and ask about it.

With the check engine light on there should be a code set, so I would check the code and see what it says. Maybe you can fix it yourself.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
You need to have the codes read. To best serve yourself you need to go to the Ram1500Diesel dot com site as this site is all about the Ecodiesels. Good people there will guide you thru. I believe that it has something to do with the def system, but the codes will guide you thru.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is possible your DEF level is very low. If the DEF runs out, the truck will not start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is possible your DEF level is very low. If the DEF runs out, the truck will not start.
Sorry, yesterday was first time driving truck except when I drove it home from dealership and have no idea what DEF is, even after seeing gauge.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Hello @San Diego Ron!

We would like to offer our assistance of desired. Please message us privately with your VIN aas well any any other additional details that are relevant to this matter to get started.

Hannah
Ram Cares

·
Registered
2 Posts
DEF, is Diesel Exhaust Fluid. Some gas stations sell it at the pump, and you can also buy at Walmart, Farm and Fleet. It is separate tank on t he truck, and the filler is next to the fuel cap. Typically, it will have a blue cap. DEF is used to reduce emissions and the black smoke. According to the owners manual, if the DEF gets too low, the truck will not start.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check Engine light came on and message popped up saying “Engine will not start in 200 miles”. Is this some sort of ransom attack?
Have only driven this new to me truck about 100 miles, fingers crossed that I’m not going to regret this big purchase. Checked fluids levels and all good, don’t see and loose wires or anything out of ordinary.
Well, it's time to start studying and understanding exactly what you bought. The Ram EcoDiesel can be a tremendously reliable and efficient workhorse, AND a tremendously finicky and sometimes troublesome engine.

First, yes you have a DEF Low issue...simply go to any autoparts store, walmart, etc and find the DEF...it'll be somehwere near the motor oils and stuff. Be VERY careful putting it in your vehicle and DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT accidently add DEF fluid to your fuel port. When you open your fuel filler door you'll see Green for fuel, and Blue for DEF. I cannot state this any stronger...DO NOT EVER MIX THEM UP. Oh and never make the mistake of putting gasoline in your truck...All of these are very costly mistakes.

You should really familiarize yourself with the maintenance requirements...you need to use very specific oil and filters, and regularly replace the fuel filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it's time to start studying and understanding exactly what you bought. The Ram EcoDiesel can be a tremendously reliable and efficient workhorse, AND a tremendously finicky and sometimes troublesome engine.

First, yes you have a DEF Low issue...simply go to any autoparts store, walmart, etc and find the DEF...it'll be somehwere near the motor oils and stuff. Be VERY careful putting it in your vehicle and DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT accidently add DEF fluid to your fuel port. When you open your fuel filler door you'll see Green for fuel, and Blue for DEF. I cannot state this any stronger...DO NOT EVER MIX THEM UP. Oh and never make the mistake of putting gasoline in your truck...All of these are very costly mistakes.

You should really familiarize yourself with the maintenance requirements...you need to use very specific oil and filters, and regularly replace the fuel filter.
Thanks so much for this information, bought truck at Chevy dealer and returned it to them, they checked and got a 800 something code and said they were sending it to Dodge to be repaired because it is still under warranty, that is to be today. I did tell Chevy to check DEF level after it was suggested here but they said that was not the problem. Sucks having a new truck to only drive it 100 miles and need to be taken to shop, and my 30’ boat is sitting in yard waiting to be dropped off in ocean. The Chevy Trax they gave me as loaner won’t do the job and Dodge said they need truck for a week or so….we’ll see.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Awile back, some guy (not to smart) posted on this site that he was traveling in some state and his truck went into limp mode because of low def. So this genius just put water in where the def goes and he created all kind of problems for himself. Just remember, it says DEF, not H2O or anything else. Hope that they find your problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks so much for this information, bought truck at Chevy dealer and returned it to them, they checked and got a 800 something code and said they were sending it to Dodge to be repaired because it is still under warranty, that is to be today. I did tell Chevy to check DEF level after it was suggested here but they said that was not the problem. Sucks having a new truck to only drive it 100 miles and need to be taken to shop, and my 30’ boat is sitting in yard waiting to be dropped off in ocean. The Chevy Trax they gave me as loaner won’t do the job and Dodge said they need truck for a week or so….we’ll see.
Hope this gets resolved. You will want to get to a diesel specific forum for more information. I might also suggest that the 1500 ecodiesel might be a bit light for a 30' boat. What does that beast weigh?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Go and join the ram1500ecodiesel dot com forum for a very informative Ecodiesel based group. The forum was designed around anything Ecodiesel and is a very knowledgeable and friendly group. They can answer any and all questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just brought my truck home, Chrysler said they replaced DEF pump and fixed open recall of diesel EGR Cooler. Nice to have this home to pull my 5700 lb boat.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

1 - 13 of 13 Posts