DODGE RAM FORUM banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

· Registered
13,692 Posts
I'm sure you can find the exhaust pipes right? Crawl under there and trace the exhaust pipes all the way from the engine to the muffler. I'm pretty sure on your truck you will have 2 exhaust pipes(one on each side of the engine) that lead to a y pipe where they merge in to 1 pipe and then go off to the large muffler. Somewhere between the engine and y pipe you probably have 4 O2 sensors and 2 catalytic converters. You probably have an O2 sensor in each exhaust manifold near the engine(upstream sensors) then an O2 sensor in or just behind each catalytic converter. You want these sensors that are at or just behind the catalytic converters. It should be self explanatory how to unclip the connectors.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
you should get a turn down pipe and clamp or weld it on and direct the exhaust down and if possible out from under the truck. Yes it will get in the cab if you sit still.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
A muffler only reduces sound level. it is very dangerous to breathe exhaust fumes(one of the stars from the show "buck wild" and some of his friends/family just died from this while mudding, actually). I don't know exactly what happened but I'd guess there was exhaust leaking into the cab(windows up since mudding) and they all passed out in the cab. Your body doesn't get enough oxygen and you pass out and eventually die.

Not having a muffler has no effect on this. What's important is to keep the exhaust out of the cab. Many people "dump" the exhaust under the bed, just use some common sense. Try to at least point it away from the truck.

· Registered
6,242 Posts
are you just taking the muffler out and straight piping? you will lose low end performance and it will be loud incab...if you are going to dump it (turndown), I suggest to do it after axle..

· Registered
45 Posts
What's a km????? :)

That's roughly 100,000 miles and that's a fair amount of mileage. It is possible the sensor is faulty. Also possible the cat is clogged.

If it's running fine I'd try the sensor. Although you don't really need to replace them if it is running ok and the light doesn't bother you too much. It's just an emissions thing, it doesn't effect the truck in any other way. Now, if the truck starts running poorly it could be a clogged cat.
I'd guess a new downstream sensor is ~$50 to $100.

So can u tell if a o2 sensor is hooped or u just have to change it?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.