DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...got a question for ya. On a road trip, and my check engine light came on and I started getting really bad gas mileage. I just figured it was bad gas and didn't think much of it but now I notice that my eco light isn't coming on either. If it was a bad tank of gas it should be gone now because that was three tanks ago. And my check engine light is still on. I'm getting between 15 and 16 mpg and I have gotten between 19 and 20 every other time on the highway. The truck runs fine and all the gauges are normal except for check engine and eco. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just read your other post. Sounds like what I got going on. Any idea if this can be a DIY thing or do I need to find a dealer? I'm kinda in the middle of nowhere and I would hate to get stranded. Hopefully the truck will keep running. lol

·
Registered
690 Posts
check engine light can mean many things. The easiest thing to do is take it to autozone or something similar and have them check the codes for you. They will do it for free. That will give you an idea of what it is. If you want to clear the code yourself without checking to see what it is you can disconnect the battery and that will reset the computer. As far as the eco light, it will not come on with the check engine light, but mds still works. coast at 35 and then barely press the throttle and you'll see for yourself. Good luck!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Later GM vehicles have the same issue with a nonfunctioning remote start when an active code is stored. I guess it's some kind of punishment to encourage the driver to go to the dealer...LOL! I think just about everyone who has any personal mechanical interest in their vehicle and a desire to really know what's going on with their vehicle's operation should probably purchase something like a Scanguage II or other code reader. You'll always know what code is thrown, and you can remove it if it's just a temporary. Plus the Scanguage II allows you to read real time engine functions on a very finite scale in the digital readout. For about $130 it's a good investment IMO.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Sometimes resetting everything will put the computer back into running mode, you might have had bad gas at some point the error will stay there generated by the computer till the fault is fixed., once the fault found and fixed they will reset the computer (dealer). But if the fault had been bad gas, the computer may still be in protection mode, only a reset will fix that (either by removing the power or reset by the Dealer). If you want, try and remove the negative pole on your battery for about 5 min, this will reset your computer, and your radio stations etc. and it should put the computer back in Normal mode, run your truck and see what happens, if the engine light returns, then you had a fault that really needs to be looked at, if it does not, you might see your mileage return to what it was. Since your not anywhere near a dealer that can tell you what the error code is I would do that first, but its up to you.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I just read your other post. Sounds like what I got going on. Any idea if this can be a DIY thing or do I need to find a dealer? I'm kinda in the middle of nowhere and I would hate to get stranded. Hopefully the truck will keep running. lol
From what I was told about mine something wasn't securely plugged, they checked the pins on the plug, plugged it securely, reset the fault and I haven't had any problems since. I'm lucky to have a good dealer 10 miles from me so as long as it's under warranty it's easy for me to let them handle it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Today I had this same problem - Check engine light and no eco. Dealership cant see me till Tuesday so I unplugged the negative from the battery to reset everything and when I started the truck after reconnecting the check engine light flashed a couple of times and turned off. Is it safe to call it a day or should I still waste half my Tuesday morning while the dealership spends 4 hours to do 5 minutes of work so they can screw the warranty company?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 2012 express is doing the same thing, The engine light came on and now the eco doesn't work either. I was hoping this was a problem coming to light, As I always thought the truck had a slow throttle response At low rpm's. Slight pressure on the throttle then a little more pressure, then a little more pressure,Still no response. Then I get a downshift and a burst of speed. I'm hoping the dealer can do a few mouse clicks and take care of this problem.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
i feel your pain Tom...sounds like a lot of them

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Take back to a dealer, why mess with it?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I remember another member had posted that a Dodge service dept put 5w-30 instead of 5w-20 in his truck by accident. It caused the MDS issue and a CEL light.

·
Registered
46 Posts
okay, took my truck to the dealer yesterday, they found a bad oxygen sensor. they change it out. no more light, and the truck has never ran so good as it does now. it must have been faulty from the get go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How hard it is to change the oxygen sensor yourself? Dealership wants $260 to replace mine plus diagnostics. They also want $160 for a fuel filter. I've changed the fuel filter on my car and it was a pain to do but definitely worth the money saved. Any thoughts on either for DIY?

·
Registered
323 Posts
For 260.00 dollars you can buy a new O2 sensor and a nice Code reader which will tell you what sensor is not operating in it's range. which is about .7 Volts. Depends on how much you like to get dirty. I had three go bad over time in my 05 Ram. Had to apply lots of heat to one of them to get it off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
my brothers truck did same thing turns out it was a problem with a selonoid in the eco system 860$ job i belive its deffintaly a dealer thing trucks these days are less and less DIY, my laramie has had no probs yet, hope this helps ya out

1 - 20 of 33 Posts