DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short--- Check engine light came on and come to find out there is a misfire on one of the spark plugs. Truck has 80,000 miles on original spark plugs so I conferred with the mechanic that he should go and change them all and the coils too. All done and went to pick it up yesterday and as soon as I turned the corner the engine light cam on again. Took it straight back and they put the code reader on it and it said misfire on # 3. I do not know if it is the same spark plug from the start or not. What could be the cause of that even though everything is new? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
It's Showtime!
570 Posts
I had an injector leaking by that caused one for me. Cold start was fine, always cranked without any issues. Hot start was a different story. It leaked by & left enough fuel that it caused the misfire causing the CEL to turn on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had an injector leaking by that caused one for me. Cold start was fine, always cranked without any issues. Hot start was a different story. It leaked by & left enough fuel that it caused the misfire causing the CEL to turn on.
I will pass that onto the mechanic as a possibility. Thanks for responding!!.

·
Registered
2014 8 Speed Hemi 3.92
1,416 Posts
Depends on the shop rates as it’s at least a 2 shift job or more if their first. Usually $4k average.

Have the tech pull the valve cover on the misfire side and observe rocker movement when turning over.
Should have metallic flakes in the filter if you want to cut that apart for a second opinion.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends on the shop rates as it’s at least a 2 shift job or more if their first. Usually $4k average.

Have the tech pull the valve cover on the misfire side and observe rocker movement when turning over.
Should have metallic flakes in the filter if you want to cut that apart for a second opinion.
I sure as hell hope it is not that.

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,004 Posts
I would wonder about how competent your mechanic actually is, given that the code showed a misfire on a single cylinder.
A simple check to see if it was caused by a plug or coil pack would have been to switch both components to another cylinder, and if the misfire followed the component(s) that's the problem. If not, the problem lies elsewhere.

Nothing wrong with changing the plugs at 80k miles of course, but changing all the coil packs too, "just to see if that fixes it" is pretty lame.
And not thoroughly road testing it to see if the CEL returns is pretty lame too, especially since in these RAM engines of the same vintage as yours and with similar mileage as yours are known to have issues with failed cam and lifters.

There are plenty of other possible causes for a single cylinder misfire also, of course, with a fuel injector issue being one of them as @jkelly16 mentioned, and a competent mechanic having the right scanning equipment and the knowledge to use it would be able to run various real time tests to see how likely the misfire is to be caused by injector failure.

Anyway. Onward.
At any time prior to the appearance of the misfire code did you notice anything about the way the engine sounds? Specifically, have you noticed any recent ticking or clicking noise(s)?
If so, that will increase the chances of the problem being cam/lifter related.
If not, that's good, but not definitive.

Removal of the valve cover to see if valve movement is reduced on the affected cylinder would be a good next step, as @Garc suggested. You might get lucky and find the cause is something much simpler, but you really need to know for sure before you spend more money just replacing parts and hoping.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would wonder about how competent your mechanic actually is, given that the code showed a misfire on a single cylinder.
A simple check to see if it was caused by a plug or coil pack would have been to switch both components to another cylinder, and if the misfire followed the component(s) that's the problem. If not, the problem lies elsewhere.

Nothing wrong with changing the plugs at 80k miles of course, but changing all the coil packs too, "just to see if that fixes it" is pretty lame.
And not thoroughly road testing it to see if the CEL returns is pretty lame too, especially since in these RAM engines of the same vintage as yours and with similar mileage as yours are known to have issues with failed cam and lifters.

There are plenty of other possible causes for a single cylinder misfire also, of course, with a fuel injector issue being one of them as @jkelly16 mentioned, and a competent mechanic having the right scanning equipment and the knowledge to use it would be able to run various real time tests to see how likely the misfire is to be caused by injector failure.

Anyway. Onward.
At any time prior to the appearance of the misfire code did you notice anything about the way the engine sounds? Specifically, have you noticed any recent ticking or clicking noise(s)?
If so, that will increase the chances of the problem being cam/lifter related.
If not, that's good, but not definitive.

Removal of the valve cover to see if valve movement is reduced on the affected cylinder would be a good next step, as @Garc suggested. You might get lucky and find the cause is something much simpler, but you really need to know for sure before you spend more money just replacing parts and hoping.
They did drive it around and no engine light showed up. Only when I picked it up and drove around the corner did the CEL pop up. Now that you speak about it, it is making a clicking sound that was never there before. I pointed that out to them last night. The reason I did all the coils was because they told me they were intertwined so if you replaced one and and then another one could go down the line and so on.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Now that you speak about it, it is making a clicking sound that was never there before.
That sucks.
OK, the next move is to remove the valve cover and carefully evaluate whether the valve movement on the affected cylinder is reduced.
If it is you are almost certainly the victim of a known issue with these engines, which is a lifter failure causing damage to the camshaft lobe(s).
Not what you want to hear, I know.
In your situation I would want to know how familiar your mechanic is with this condition and how much experience he has with fixing it. This is not the kind of repair where you want your mechanic to be in brand new territory.

There are some very long comment threads about this failure here on this forum and elsewhere too. And a lot of speculation and guesswork also. You'll need to do some serious research to protect yourself going forward if it turns out your engine has wiped a cam lobe.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank
That sucks.
OK, the next move is to remove the valve cover and carefully evaluate whether the valve movement on the affected cylinder is reduced.
If it is you are almost certainly the victim of a known issue with these engines, which is a lifter failure causing damage to the camshaft lobe(s).
Not what you want to hear, I know.
In your situation I would want to know how familiar your mechanic is with this condition and how much experience he has with fixing it. This is not the kind of repair where you want your mechanic to be in brand new territory.

There are some very long comment threads about this failure here on this forum and elsewhere too. And a lot of speculation and guesswork also. You'll need to do some serious research to protect yourself going forward if it turns out your engine has wiped a cam lobe.
Thank you! I will do my research. Too bad Dodge doesn't step up since it was a known issue.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Thank

Thank you! I will do my research. Too bad Dodge doesn't step up since it was a known issue.
OK
Please do keep us updated on what you find.
There are a lot of forum members here who have endured a cam/lifter failure and are thus in a position, out of their own personal experience, to give valuable input to you going forward.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK
Please do keep us updated on what you find.
There are a lot of forum members here who have endured a cam/lifter failure and are thus in a position, out of their own personal experience, to give valuable input to you going forward.
I will keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well the coils are sort of connected. Each cylinder coil has 2 leads for the plugs in that cylinder. But all eight arnt. For crying out loud, if there wasnt a misfire or obvious tracking or something to warrant replacement why a reputable tech would recommend changing them all. I mean OK if you have say 3 or 4 that are carbon tracking then you could say I'm gonna nip this in bud and go all in. On the cam, I would think if its lobe is gone it would miss like crazy all the time not intermittent.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update. Mechanic tried to see if it was a fuel injector. Nope that's not the problem. Now he is focusing on the cam lifters. He has friends at the dealerships and they told him they have 5 to 6 vehicles waiting for the cam lifters (I assume from Dodge) with the same problem. If that is the case, and I've seen it mentioned on here, why no one takes Dodge to court for this problem.

·
Registered
2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport, LTHeaders, S&B CAI, DIabloS T2, HF, PD, UPR CC, RGB UnderGlow9” lift on 37s
143 Posts
Only good thing if cam/lifter, you have a reason now to move and install that performance cam!

·
Registered
773 Posts
You can look in the direct connection catalog. Or Jegs probably has as good a selection of parts, Summit Racing also could be a source. I have seen complete cam, lifter and parts kits offered at those places. Its up to you if you want to add the deactivate kit for the MDS.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts