DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Other kits out there. I was reading up on this the other night. What exactly it is that is problem with the MDS motors this shows up is puzzeling to me.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Now you opened up a can of worms, if you had any bolts-ons planned(long tube headers) then you can look at shifting the powerband. You’ll need a custom tune so things will get pricey quickly. Greene Racing, Moe’s performance, and TexasSpeed are the heavy hitters and will answer any questions.

Just make sure you replace with Hellcat or 2016+ OEM Lifters so you don’t go through this again.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Not sure what you mean by he is focusing on cam and lifters.

Its pretty simple, pull the vavle covoers and see what vavle is not moving as much or as far s teh others, that is teh failed vavle and slagged camshaft is the result. hence, the misfire.

Yoru mechanic is not inpiring confindence, to me.
COuldbe yoru reporting but, even so, you have been given enuff info to test this simple test, assume you have told your Wrench so still not usnderstanding why it has notbeen done. talking few minutes here to rexolve.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yeah, I had that instinct right at the beginning of this thread after hearing about just throwing all brand-new plugs and coil packs at a single cylinder misfire problem in an engine with a known issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Of it is your cam and lifters, depending on the amount of debre in your engine, you may have to replace the whole motor. That's what i had to do when my cam failed. Chrysler said replace it. I had an extended warranty so it only cost me $675 out of pocket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My truck is in the same situation. I’m waiting for nicer weather so I can work on it myself.
I’m not really happy with dodge right now.
I have 141,000 miles on it and bought it brand new. Since owning it I’ve kept up with synthetic oil changes. From my research this is a very common issue with the Hemi.
The lifters are junk. Dodge knows this and after I think 2014 they used different lifters.
I called a dealer around me and they told me
that if my truck was under 100,000 miles it would be covered under the powertrain warranty but unfortunately I have 141,000.
You might want to call a dealer and find out since you only have 80,000 miles on yours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2016 2500 with 6.4, got a tick at 60k. Luckily I had the extended warranty so for $100 I got ONE new lifter, a cam and all the goodies to go with it! You would think they would have replaced all the lifters but hell, this way when the next lifter goes they will just extend the warranty another 24 months!!! Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
vinniegambini - what model year is your truck, and which engine? Ram claims they changed lifter vendors circa 2017 to "improve" reliability, whatever that means.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Not sure what you mean by he is focusing on cam and lifters.

Its pretty simple, pull the vavle covoers and see what vavle is not moving as much or as far s teh others, that is teh failed vavle and slagged camshaft is the result. hence, the misfire.

COuldbe yoru reporting but, even so, you have been given enuff info to test this simple test, assume you have told your Wrench so still not usnderstanding why it has notbeen done. talking few minutes here to rexolve.
After all the research I did and with the clicking noise I told him to look at the lifters. He started calling around and one of the dealerships he called had 4 vehicles sitting waiting for new cam lifters. Was not going to get the parts from dealership.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Update coming tonight. Not good news.
One of the lifters the mechanic he showed me was all scraped up on top and loose (that's what causes the the "hemi knock" Then he showed me inside the cam with a camera of how it was rough it was.

Now the 2 options are:

1) Put the new parts in and have no idea when it will all go bad again
2) Put in a re-manufactured engine but would have to get some type of warranty but who is to say it won't go bad again thanks to Dodge.

Decisions ................... Decisions.................

·
Registered
864 Posts
You said the truck had 80K miles?
Any chance there's still some powertrain warranty still active?
You'd have nothing to lose by seriously bugging the crap out of FCA even if the powertrain warranty has timed out. An engine shouldn't take a shit like this at 80K miles if it's been maintained properly like yours, and this is absolutely a known issue.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
You said the truck had 80K miles?
Any chance there's still some powertrain warranty still active?
You'd have nothing to lose by seriously bugging the crap out of FCA even if the powertrain warranty has timed out. An engine shouldn't take a shit like this at 80K miles if it's been maintained properly like yours, and this is absolutely a known issue.
My warranty was 5 years / 100,00 miles. The 5 years came first. Makes you wonder why Dodge cut back their warranty to 3 years 60,000 miles. They know what the problem is but won't address the issue. Don't feel like bugging the crap out of them. It can and will happen again but the question would be when. Don't feel like handing them money they don't deserve.

·
Registered
864 Posts
They know what the problem is but won't address the issue. Don't feel like bugging the crap out of them.
Yeah, I'd be pretty damn disgusted too, so I hear that.
And yeah, they know what the problem is, how could they not after all this time?
:mad:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts