DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Dodge 3500 with a Pleasure Way RV on top. I made a big mistake, spinning the wheels in a ditch where one rear wheel was up in the air, and shifting back and forth between drive and reverse trying to escape the hole. The CEL (Check Engine Light) came on, and I can't get it to go off.

I had the codes checked, indicating a problem in the first cyclinder, so I had the plugs, wires, rotor, and distributor cap replaced. The light came back on after a few miles of driving. I then had the crank sensor replaced, with the CEL again coming on after 8 miles of driving. The mechanic doing the work says that he doesn't think its worth trying to do anymore, and that I should wait until the vehicle starts having some kind of running problems. Right now it seems to be running fine, without any hesitations coming from the engine. It is just that the CEL won't go off. It really bugs me that I can't find out how to get it to go off permanently.

Does anyone have a similar experience? More importantly, does anyone have a fix? The mechanic says he only knows of one other instance like this with another Dodge Van, and the owner spent $3000 with a local Dodge dealer trying to get the CEL to go off. The owner was charged the entire $3000, and the CEL never did go off.

Thanks in advance for any solutions.

MIKE HARRISON

·
Premium Member
32,785 Posts
If the Check Engine Light is On, then a code reader would detect a Code
What is the Code number ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Codes

The mechanic didn't give me the codes. He just told me that "the cyclinder one is misfiring", and another code said pending. I can ask the mechanic for the exact code numbers tomorrow if you think it will help. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
32,785 Posts
The Code number may help

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to the mechanic about the codes for the Check Engine Light staying on in my 1996 Dodge 3500, 4.9L, RV van. He said that there was the Code PO 300, which is a "Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire", followed by Code PO 301, which he says is "Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected". As I mentioned earlier, he has already replaced the plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap, and the sensor for the crankshaft. I appreciate any advice any one can give to me to pass on to the mechanic.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had recently fixed an old kia with PO300 and several cyl misfires by adding a missing vacuum cap on the throttle body and replacing a broke vac hose. Start by looking at the easy stuff that literally rots with time.
Spinning the wheels would not have set this, but instead the action had upset something else that was on the edge of failure. An example would be if the engine was twisting repeatedly on its mounts and finally broke a weak part...
Just thinking out loud, hope you get it fixed!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips. I will make sure that the mechanic working on the Dodge takes a look at your suggestions. I also hope that it gets fixed. Best regards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts