DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this problem a few weeks ago. I keep getting an error message on the dash and also the never ending beep when I press the brake pedal "CHECK TRAILER BRAKE WIRING" it only seems to do it in wet or damp weather. it was fine last night , when I started it up this morning it was raining ,I got the warning as soon as I pressed brake pedal to put truck into gear. I have had the truck to the dealer twice and they keep telling me it is a trailer problem. I have not pulled a trailer yet and told them that. They said they checked the controller and it works fine. Can anyone tell me if I should look for a bare wire? Grounded wire? what color the trailer brake wire is?

Les

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Sounds like a water intrusion issue for sure. Did the dealer sscan the trailer brake controller?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your dealer needs to get some tech help from Chrysler. He is not acting on your problem with good knowledge.
Without the trailer hooked up too the truck, all you should get when you turn on the key is; A reading on the controller of "8.8" with a yellow image of a trailer, & an explanation mark after it. It should go out in a few seconds & ONLY come on if you have a trailer hooked up & connected to the truck plug in. Once you have the trailer connected & turn on the key, you should get a reading of 6.0 or whatever you have set the "Gain' to. If you apply the controller manually, you should get a reading of 9.9 with the trailer hooked up. Now if you apply the brakes to the trailer with the foot pedal, you should get a 3 to 4 second delay & then get a reading of 10 then 20 then 30. This indicates the controller is working as required. The 10, 20, 30 indicates that there is 10% then 20% then 30% braking voltage going to your trailer brakes. This is the top reading you will get when the vehicle is stationary. The Controller is a Proportional type controller & is designed to give you more braking effort only when it can read decel from the combination units.
There is a new controller being released that is programmed to give more effort when pulling heavier trailers & allow the trailer braking to slightly lead the truck braking. The Controller has to be programmed to do this as there are no manual adjustments that can be made by the operator. I have been informed that this may change in programming for the new controllers in the near future. I know when, but cannot discuss that at this time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake controller update

Still having the same problem but now the check trailer brake wiring message comes on when I hit the brakes and if i turn the right signal on. it does this with no trailer

Les

·
Registered
219 Posts
The problem isn't in the controller, it's in the wires or trailer connector at the back. Best bets are a bad seal to the connector wiring allowing water intrusion or damage to the wiring between the connector and the firewall. Damaged wires is more likely if you off-road or have driven over road debris. Have the dealer test the trailer wiring (not the controller) including spraying water on the connector area if necessary.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm with you Al. There is nothing wrong with your controller. There has to be a problem with the trailer wiring connections in the truck. It certainly cannot be in a trailer as you have not hooked up to one as of yet, so the dealer is incorrect in stating it is the trailer wiring. Since it only appears to act up when there is moisture around, this certainly points at the connectors in the firewall area. Certainly cannot be the connections inside to your controller. JMHO

Reg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brake Controller

I have never been off road, I have 16,000 miles on the truck and have had the problem almost from the day I bought it. It has been to the dealer 5 times so far and have give up on them finding the problem. I started at the connector in the rear and working my way to the front checking the wires. I have done this twice already but this time cutting the tape/cloth off the wires so i can really see the wire. I don't like having to mess with the factory wires but I have to find the problem. I'm up to the fuel tank now and half to pull the tank down to check the wire. I'm open for suggestions if someone knows of an easier way to check the wires.

Les

·
Registered
219 Posts
When it is acting up remove power to the circuit and check for shorts betweeen all the wires one pair at a time at the connector with an ohmmeter. You can also leave power on and check for voltage from each wire to ground. During normal operation only pin 4 should be always hot. All other pins should only be hot when active i.e. only pin 6, right turn signal, and pin 4, always hot, should be hot when you turn on the right turn signal. BTW, the right turn signal and right brake light are on the same pin. This could be related to the warning conditons you last posted. The 7 pin diagram on this site should help. http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx My first thought is the problem is either internal to the rear connector or the connector that I expect you'll find at the firewall. Not sure about the new RAM, but my Ford van had a connector right under the firewall between the engine bay harness and the body harness. If I was the dealer I would have replaced the rear connector out of hand the first time you brought it in. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
In the wiring harness, the trailer brake wire should be the heavy Dark Green wire. If not familiar with wire gauges, the smaller the number, the heavier the wire. 14ga is heavier that 18ga.

Wire colors/sizes from wiring diagram -

Ground - Black 14ga
+12V - Red/violet 12ga
Elec Brake - Dark Green 14ga
B/U - White/Red 18ga
Park - Brown 14ga
Left turn - White/Orange 18ga
Right turn - White/Dk Green 18ga

Based on you symptoms, I think there is an issue at the trailer connector in the bumper. Look carefully to see if there are any terminals touching. If available, plug in a trailer connector with no wires, and see if the problem still exists.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is a old really old post. But I just started having this same problem in December 2019. I took my 2016 Ram 2500 to a trailer supply store. They checked it out. they found one of the plugs on the wiring harness broken and was getting water in it. So all of the wiring was replaced. The plug in the bed all the way to the bumper plug. all brand new. it was tested while there and all functions were good. Left the parking lot hit the brakes same thing. It would ding and show the message check trailer brake wiring. Took it right back in. The guy rechecked it and everything he did still worked correctly. He told me it would have to go to the dealer so they can test it. He said it seems that it is in the module in the truck. I'm not sure where that is in the truck. I want to try and figure this out instead of taking to the dealer. I do want to have to pay a 160.00 charge to hook it up to their computer. And them tell me its the wiring I just had replaced. The trailer brake fuse that's in the engine compartment was reset and still does it. Not sure where to go from here. hope someone on here can point me in the right direction. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 2010 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel yesterday, during the test drive everything was perfect, great truck, couldn’t be happier!
After the dealer took it to car wash and fueled it up and after about 20 min of driving home this Check Trailer Brake Wiring alarm and message also began occurring in this truck every time the brake pedal is depressed and then it dings annoyingly simultaneously.
Has anyone found a definitive fix yet?
Is it the rear plug or the firewall plug?

·
Registered
1 Posts
For those of you wondering, I had this issue happen to my truck yesterday and took it to the dealer today, they’ve fixxed it so it seems as of now, here’s a pic of the diagnostics they ran to find the problem and what was done to correct it

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
For those of you wondering, I had this issue happen to my truck yesterday and took it to the dealer today, they’ve fixxed it so it seems as of now, here’s a pic of the diagnostics they ran to find the problem and what was done to correct it View attachment 131099
Hello Ohiohoonigan,
We are happy to hear your dealer was able to assist you with your recent brake concern. Please know that our team is available for additional assistance in the future if needed!
Laura
RamCares

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those of you wondering, I had this issue happen to my truck yesterday and took it to the dealer today, they’ve fixxed it so it seems as of now, here’s a pic of the diagnostics they ran to find the problem and what was done to correct it View attachment 131099
Well, when the weather stops freezing I’m going to disassemble both plugs, one in bumper, one in gooseneck and perform this maintenance. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, when the weather stops freezing I’m going to disassemble both plugs, one in bumper, one in gooseneck and perform this maintenance. Thanks for the info!
Hello all, first post here, but I found this thread via elgooG, so here I am.

I just installed an aftermarket brake controller in my 2013 Ram 1500 using the prewired harness for the controller. I had no trailer connected, and with the ignition off it seemed fine. I was driving today and the controller was indicating that there was a trailer connected. I figured it was only happening with the ignition on, but when I got home and was able to troubleshoot a bit more I noticed when I applied trailer breaks from the controller (still no trailer connected) I could hear the solenoid to allow the truck to shift out of park and the lights on the shift knob (yeah, I hate the shift knob) blink.

Reading the posts above about moisture it appeared I was experiencing a similar problem with slightly different symptions. As a test I opened up both the 4 pin and 7 pin connectors at the bumper and sprayed them with WD-40 and let it dry. Once dry, everything was working as expected, so it does seem that it is a water intrusion problem, and for me at least, on the least expensive end to repair / replace.

Anyway, I just hope to add to the conversation for the next lost soul hunting on Google. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reading the posts above about moisture it appeared I was experiencing a similar problem with slightly different symptions. As a test I opened up both the 4 pin and 7 pin connectors at the bumper and sprayed them with WD-40 and let it dry. Once dry, everything was working as expected, so it does seem that it is a water intrusion problem, and for me at least, on the least expensive end to repair / replace.

Anyway, I just hope to add to the conversation for the next lost soul hunting on Google. :)
Yes, after I disassembled the electrical plug for the trailer connection in the rear of the truck it was very obvious that water was causing a short between the top two contacts on the 7. The chrome had worn off the screws that captured the wiring and they were very black in color. After adding some dielectric grease to each contact and then sealing the seams of the connector itself the warning and dinging bell have completely stopped and I have not had a problem since.
I shopped around the local Walmart in hopes for a higher quality device however, all I could find was the exact same thing.
It’s odd that something like this would not be impervious to the elements.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts