DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started having this problem in December 2019. I took my 2016 Ram 2500 to a trailer supply store. They checked it out. they found one of the plugs on the wiring harness broken and was getting water in it. So all of the wiring was replaced. The plug in the bed all the way to the bumper plug. all brand new. it was tested while there and all functions were good. Left the parking lot hit the brakes same thing. It would ding and show the message check trailer brake wiring. Took it right back in. The guy rechecked it and everything he did still worked correctly. He told me it would have to go to the dealer so they can test it. He said it seems that it is in the module in the truck. I'm not sure where that is in the truck. I want to try and figure this out instead of taking to the dealer. I don't want to have to pay a 160.00 charge to hook it up to their computer. And them tell me its the wiring I just had replaced. The trailer brake fuse that's in the engine compartment was reset and still does it. Not sure where to go from here. Hope someone on here can point me in the right direction. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have a 2016 Ram 2500 5.7l. I had Check Trailer Wiring and Park Sensor Faults coming up on dash. Last summer when my truck still had warranty i had it to the dealer for no trial park lights. The fuse was blown when i checked. The dealer ended up putting a new TIPM in and it worked for a day. Took it back after I checked the circuit myself and it was shorted to ground on the output side of the fuse. The deal looked again, said they went through the entire harness with no faults. That was summer when it was dry and warm. Now that it is cold and wet I am having more issues and park sense issues. So with having no confidence in the dealer myself and a friend took a stab at it. Low and behold we found the problem. The factory harness on the left side under truck had rubbed through to the bottom of the cab. The wires were wore through and there looked like there might have been some flame damage, arcing for sure. We repaired the 11 wires that were damaged by adding wire soldering and heat shrink. The trailer problems are gone, the front park sensors now work but the rear still has issues. I suspect the shorted park sense wires might have damaged a sensor or two. I am going after Chrysler for a new harness.
I wanted to get this post out due to the amount of issues i had read about with the same type of symptoms. The location of the rub through was located left side frame rail between the evap canister and the fuel tank where it goes over the frame and touches the cab bottom. I will post the pictures i took later, just wanted to get this info out.
I will be checking my wires 1500 as the harness is the same..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[Thank you CFD RAM. I will look there when it warms up a bit. I'm probably going to jinx myself. But it has stopped for now. but I have a feeling the it will start back up again. Thank you again for posting that. looking forward to seeing the pics you have.

So I have a 2016 Ram 2500 5.7l. I had Check Trailer Wiring and Park Sensor Faults coming up on dash. Last summer when my truck still had warranty i had it to the dealer for no trial park lights. The fuse was blown when i checked. The dealer ended up putting a new TIPM in and it worked for a day. Took it back after I checked the circuit myself and it was shorted to ground on the output side of the fuse. The deal looked again, said they went through the entire harness with no faults. That was summer when it was dry and warm. Now that it is cold and wet I am having more issues and park sense issues. So with having no confidence in the dealer myself and a friend took a stab at it. Low and behold we found the problem. The factory harness on the left side under truck had rubbed through to the bottom of the cab. The wires were wore through and there looked like there might have been some flame damage, arcing for sure. We repaired the 11 wires that were damaged by adding wire soldering and heat shrink. The trailer problems are gone, the front park sensors now work but the rear still has issues. I suspect the shorted park sense wires might have damaged a sensor or two. I am going after Chrysler for a new harness.
I wanted to get this post out due to the amount of issues i had read about with the same type of symptoms. The location of the rub through was located left side frame rail between the evap canister and the fuel tank where it goes over the frame and touches the cab bottom. I will post the pictures i took later, just wanted to get this info out.
I will be checking my wires 1500 as the harness is the same..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts