DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got my new ram (2017 3.6 big horn) love it so far except noticed a ticking from motor on passenger side, so I go to the dealer tell them I need to make appointment for recalls, and need them to listen and see if what the tick is , he says to come back the 29th at 8:30, I say anyway someone could at least listen to it any sooner, he says nope, so I said so you are saying to drive it until then, he says “ haha no I can’t tell you that”, then tells me the recalls will take all day, I said anyway I can get a loaner, “nope”. So I call Chrysler, and they said they can’t do anything until the dealer diagnoses it, then called dealer ask if they could make 5-10 min just to tell me if I could drive, he told her no .... so I’m out a truck for two weeks, is this the norm with Dodge Ram Jeep?

·
Super Moderator
5,925 Posts
Welcome to Ramforumz! It's good of you to join us. I don't have an answer for you, but I can move you post to an area where it will garner more attention. Again, welcome.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
It may be the norm with "that" dealer but not every dealer. Can you try another dealer?
Did you buy it from this particular dealer? Maybe get sales/general manager involved if you did - at least for someone to listen to it.
If not just drive it, if it blows it is under warranty.

·
Registered
647 Posts
First, WELCOME! I believe I'd find a different dealership! Sounds like a good time for "RAMCARES" to chime in!:rolleyes: I would like to hear what kind of "help" they might offer? GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
910 Posts
is this the norm with Dodge Ram Jeep?
From what I've read on forums like this one, unfortunately it's normal for some dealerships to act like complete dicks like yours is doing.
Our local dealership doesn't act like that at all, but the one in the next town over to the west is notorious for that kind of crappy attitude.
You could try a different dealership if you live where there are enough of them to choose from close at hand, and hope to find a more congenial one.
Failing that, there aren't many promising options, since a business with that kind of attitude is unlikely to provide customer-centered service no matter what. It's just not in their DNA.
Trying to turn up the heat by contacting FCA and bringing pressure from that direction probably won't do much 'cos the corporate structure doesn't give them that much leverage to begin with and that's likely to just piss them off anyway.

It's the old problem of trying to teach pigs to sing. It just frustrates the hell out of you, and infuriates the pig.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may be the norm with "that" dealer but not every dealer. Can you try another dealer?
Did you buy it from this particular dealer? Maybe get sales/general manager involved if you did - at least for someone to listen to it.
If not just drive it, if it blows it is under warranty.
I did not bought at CarMax, I did bring it in, during the 7 day return period, gave salesman my finance paper ask if they could do better, he looked and said we don’t have anything that cheap, didn’t go to computer, or try to run credit, but next dealer is an hour away, and has same owners. Fca said it would likely be considered neglect to keep driving without diagnosis, and couldn’t help me get a diagnosis before the 29th

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Since the dealers are not Corp. owned, FCA doesn't have really much pull at all.
Unfortunately, this does occur with almost all businesses not just auto dealers - if you don't buy from them you don't get top notch service.
I had the same experience with my furnace that I installed myself - couldn't get anyone to do a warranty call.

Best bet might be sneak to the dealer around quitting time and try to find one of the tech to just take a quick listen to it for $20 or something - or get an independent shop opinion. At least to let you know whether it is ok to drive.

IF the oil is full and no lights/gauges flashing FCA shouldn't have any grounds on which to say neglect. You would be in your rights to drive it as long as you make a fair attempt to make sure all is ok. After all dealer doesn't appear to be overly concerned.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Moral of the story is many many dealers of all makes take care of their customers first.

While Carmax and carvana (or whatever it is) sounds good if you want to buy a vehicle from your desk in your underwear, in reality the deals aren't anything special (in most areas, maybe are better in sparsely populated areas), you have to also consider after sales service in your calculations.

Look at it this way, they don't know you, didn't make a dime off of you, and think (usually rightly so) that the chances of you ever buying there are slim and non. So who would you put first, your loyal customers or a carmax purchaser?
You is you in a generic sense, not you personally.

Sucks but just being real and it is like that for more products than you can think. In a way, I can't blame them either.
Like my furnace, I just said fine, bought the part and installed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So got my new ram (2017 3.6 big horn) love it so far except noticed a ticking from motor on passenger side, so I go to the dealer tell them I need to make appointment for recalls, and need them to listen and see if what the tick is , he says to come back the 29th at 8:30, I say anyway someone could at least listen to it any sooner, he says nope, so I said so you are saying to drive it until then, he says “ haha no I can’t tell you that”, then tells me the recalls will take all day, I said anyway I can get a loaner, “nope”. So I call Chrysler, and they said they can’t do anything until the dealer diagnoses it, then called dealer ask if they could make 5-10 min just to tell me if I could drive, he told her no .... so I’m out a truck for two weeks, is this the norm with Dodge Ram Jeep?
Find another dealer Sounds like they suck !!. I had the same issue and it was the overhead cam bearings. Not sure where you live. There has to be a better one out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Find another dealer Sounds like they suck !!. I had the same issue and it was the overhead cam bearings. Not sure where you live. There has to be a better one out there.
Well there is another one an hour away, but same owner, then an hour and a half to the next one, but I’m gonna ask about a extended warranty, and ask about another loaner when I drop it off for recalls, if he’s an ass again I’ll go to sales manager and explain why my wife won’t be buying there (she test drove one the same day) and why I’m buying my warranty and service plan elsewhere, doubt they will care but oh well

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's not like that with all Chrysler dealers. While I may have some issues with the technicians at my local Chrysler/Jeep/RAM/SDodge dealer which by the way are complete idiots and I won't go into detail here so as to not make this post about me, but they do offer a loaner, my small town dealer has 8 loaner vehicles for us to use while they repair/recall maintenance, etc. I did not buy my RAM new, and I got an extended warranty through a company that deals with the loan company. So long story short, My dealer took care of my issues, and did it with a smile and they didn't even sell me the vehicle, which in my opinion is what a good dealer network should do. They need to take care of the customer's vehicle. Isn't the tick due to a exhaust manifold issue? If the vehicle is under warranty or a recall repair, have it towed to the dealer and make them take you seriously. The one thing in this world I hate over anything else is poor customer service. Take care of your customer and they will buy from you for life. I plan on buying a new RAM in the next two years, and even though this group of technicians in my small town are worthless, I might still buy the truck there and take it 60 miles away for service issues if need be. Not trying to tell you what to do, but that's my experience with FCA. Now if their stock would just pick up some and bring me some profit, lol...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ask to speak to the owner of your dealership. The dealership where we buy all of our vehicles, I told them from the start, if you don't treat me right, I will take my business somewhere else. Even the sales manger calls ever so often to see how things are going. Talk to the person that you bought it from also. Like the old saying, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ask to speak to the owner of your dealership. The dealership where we buy all of our vehicles, I told them from the start, if you don't treat me right, I will take my business somewhere else. Even the sales manger calls ever so often to see how things are going. Talk to the person that you bought it from also. Like the old saying, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
I called the corporate headquarters when I had problems where I bought my new 2014 years ago. Got called the next day by the dealership to bring mine in for correcting the problem I was having.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The tick on your 3.6 could be a common problem with the 3.6. The bearing in the cam followers sticks. It then starts wearing the lobe of the cam. But if you are just hearing the tick, and it's not throwing any codes. You have some time.

If that is the problem, first it's already broken. I agree with the earlier post, fluids okay and no codes, drive it. It will just get louder until it throws a cylinder misfire code.

The repair, it sounds terrible but it really isn't that bad. I've got photos to prove it. Heck, you don't even have to get under the darn thing!

As to the Dealer, they probably already have made the same determination that I have. Therefore they don't see the need to hurry. Of course, that's giving them the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Take it to a good independent shop. If you don’t know a local, reputable mechanic, ask friends and family. They can diagnose the problem and if it’s serious and covered by warranty, then bring it to dealer as scheduled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like the RAM "tick" which I have on my 2016. Especially noticeable when you start it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, took it in today, they said it sounded like cam and lifter, but couldn’t tear in to it until it was worse. So I’m at a loss, CarMax can’t tear in to it because they said it will void warranty, dealer won’t tear in to it until it’s worse.

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
910 Posts
Well, took it in today, they said it sounded like cam and lifter, but couldn’t tear in to it until it was worse.
That's such a completely batshit crazy thing for a dealership to say that it's hard to know where to begin.
It's like a tire shop saying "it looks like your tires have bad weather checking but we can't do anything about it until they go flat."

I'd totally take that up directly with FCA.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts