DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
You might want to consider an extended warranty before the 3/36 expires.
There are several options including mopar plans that can be bought online much cheaper.
Or if you have Geico car insurance (possibly other ins. plans too) you can add on breakdown mechanical coverage for a fair price.

Reason I say this is, once you pass 36k miles you will be out of warranty - though you took it in before then, they have determined that there is "no problem" since they refuse to tear down. Chances are you will NOT be covered after 36000 miles esp. IF they did not transfer the powertrain warranty.
You need to be sure these warranties were transferred as it isn't automatic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You might want to consider an extended warranty before the 3/36 expires.
There are several options including mopar plans that can be bought online much cheaper.
Or if you have Geico car insurance (possibly other ins. plans too) you can add on breakdown mechanical coverage for a fair price.

Reason I say this is, once you pass 36k miles you will be out of warranty - though you took it in before then, they have determined that there is "no problem" since they refuse to tear down. Chances are you will NOT be covered after 36000 miles esp. IF they did not transfer the powertrain warranty.
You need to be sure these warranties were transferred as it isn't automatic.
They said it would be under the Powertrain warranty with 60000, but I’m gonna add one may go with someone besides mopar though because I can’t seem to get any help with them

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
In a way, I don't blame them for not wanting to tear it down.
To be honest, if they do tear it down and don't find anything damaged, FCA is not going to pay them - so either you or Carmax would have to pay for the teardown time and parts.
And it is possible that they wouldn't find anything.

·
Premium Member
32,659 Posts
I would buy the extended Ram warranty through Zeigler or there is another company that discounts Mopar insurance. Parts & Labor add up fast for things like Alternators & water pumps on new Rams.

No one that i know would tear down an engine before some tests were done, like the Compression, Leak Down & Combustion tests.
Those tests are just time consuming, but labor is not cheap, unless you have some friends & beer & burgers.

·
Registered
588 Posts
its the rocker/lifter, do a search on you tube or jeep forum. It can be changed without pulling the cam shaft. It has some play from a bad bearing and causes some ticking because of the play, it does not ruin the camshaft, at least not for a long time. look on youtube.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I would try to push Carmax to pay for the teardown inspection - after all if anything is found it will be covered under warranty and they should want you, the customer, to be happy with your purchase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like the RAM "tick" which I have on my 2016. Especially noticeable when you start it.
I've got a 2014 w/ 5.7 Hemi that has the noticable "Tick", especially when first started. My tick is from the exhaust manifold. Very common issue. I have bolts on both manifolds broken and head shields as well. Gonna strip it all out and install headers. Just a possible cause worth looking at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
In a way, I don't blame them for not wanting to tear it down.
To be honest, if they do tear it down and don't find anything damaged, FCA is not going to pay them - so either you or Carmax would have to pay for the teardown time and parts.
And it is possible that they wouldn't find anything.
Don’t matter what they find, they heard it ticking so the tick should be repaired under bumper to bumper, the metal from the cam is in MY oil but they don’t care what happens after warranty, but bottom line went from can’t tell me I can drive it, to I have to drive it until it blows and then hope they are willing to fix at that point, or maybe I’ll even by on the interstate and it won’t be their problem anymore, that’s how it feels anyways, and fca will agree with you until time to stand up for you, they call dealer then call back and say sorry they wouldn’t budge,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Carmax was going to
I would try to push Carmax to pay for the teardown inspection - after all if anything is found it will be covered under warranty and they should want you, the customer, to be happy with your purchase.
carmax says fca will void warranty if they tear it down, and
from the feel of it, that’s what they are waiting on is an excuse

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
You might want to try a different oil on your next oil change.
It does sound like you don't have a very friendly dealer, but like I said, if they pull it down and don't find anything then they don't get paid.

ON the plus side, the 3.6 doesn't have many problems - very few lifter issues and no manifold ticks that I have heard of.

I would try adding 1 quart of Rislone to your next oil change and see if it is just a sticking lifter.

Are you seeing metal in your oil? Or are you assuming metal is there?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts