DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals. I’m about at the end of the rope on this thing. I’ve got a 93’ W150 and thank F it’s a second vehicle as well as a project but holy mother of horny toads this thing is driving me nuts! I recently parked this beast in the grass off the side of my driveway. And by recent, I mean near two months of symmetrical grass killing, oil dripping excitement hat has my wife tickled between the skins about. I have wiring diagrams, I’ve cut a hole in my floor tunnel, dropped the tranny like it was hitting on me in the men’s room, cut my EGR tube like a child molesting inmate gets treated and all this just to access a cheap hooker crankshaft position sensor. And before you say anything, it was all completely necessary...(even if it wasn’t) to me. I’ve got the Haynes manual on testing the ignition. I’ve got two wiring diagrams from two different sources including Haynes. I’ve run test after test on wires. I must have a fukin two headed unicorn of a truck because there are small differences in everything. I have what must be the only version of Multiport fuel injection ever produced or something. During tests, I’m “supposed” to see a 5v reference at the sensor power. Well, there’s two voltage references on this abomination I guess. According to my wiring diagram, there’s a white and violet wire from the pcm that gives 5+v and an orange one that gives 8 or 9v... the print is really small, and my penis is huge so there’s that. The violet/white wire with the correct voltage reference only goes to the throttle pos and map sensor. The orange goes to the cps and multiple others. I have ground. I’ve checked the ignition coil and it gets 12v on key turn just for a second but no spark past it. Relays have been tested and passed and replaced just because I wanted to hope I’d just missed something small. Injectors have proper voltage. Fuel pump works and has pressure at the rail. I’ve tested the crank sensor by manually rotating the crank pulley and get no signal when it passes. It literally stays at 6.4v solid signal (for some friggin reason). Cam sensor passes with 5v reference when it’s supposed to. The old crank sensor looked exactly like one I saw on napa’s Site for a manual transmission one. It had a thick plastic mount with sleeved holes for the bolts. But now my replacement is metal and I can’t even get the black plastic one. But I also tested it with a wrench activating the magnetic portion and had no drop voltage. So I got another sensor thinking the first was a bad egg. Well, no friggin difference there. Same shit. But no where can I find any exact reference to my issues. Even the one page I found for diagnosing crank sensors mentioned the violet/white wire being a 5v reference but that was for 1994 to whatever. Mine must have been made in between a space time continuum fold of epic proportions because this bitch is about to roll off an imaginary cliff. Oh, I also took the pcm to the dealership and they looked at me like I had a dick poking its way out of my skull. I mean, this chic looked at me like I owed her child support when I held up my “can you test this” pcm. So before I go spending money on another pcm, or go carbureted (I already have a brand new 600 carb btw. It’s not even out of the plastic wrap yet), can anyone possibly shed some light on my oh so minor dilemma? Pleeeez haha
Oh and go (put your favorite football team name here)!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Wow, just out of curiosity, have you scanned it for codes?Also, maybe there is an old retired geezer mechanic that used to work on them 25 years ago that you can find? My friend was able to find an old guy locally that was able to rebuild the carburetor in his 1947 Dodge flathead 6. Guy even had a bunch of oem rebuild kits. Sorry I was no help, but good luck. I think a carburetor entails a bit of change over? Fuel delivery, ignition, intake manifold, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not scanned it for codes yet. The only reasons being My scan tool doesn’t do obd1 and won’t read with the adapter. Buying one that has multiple manufacturers adapters is around $300. I’ve only found smaller scanners for Ford and GM. Mopar decided not to join those ranks. I’m basically at the point where I’m going to spend a decent amount of money either way hence my not wanting to potentially waste more on something bad may or may not fix the problem. I’ve been looking locally for someone that may have the options but haven’t found anyone yet unfortunately. I do appreciate the reply though either way

1 - 3 of 3 Posts