DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are 4000 miles of brake dust on the front rims. The stuff wont come off with soap and water. It is almost like the brake dust has bonded to the chromed plastic. I have used a Mr. Clean Magic eraser on the larger surfaces but can not get in the smaller areas or crevices.

Any ideas/solutions?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Try Westleys bleche white, if that doesn't do it I would try some undilluted white vinegar in a spray bottle.

spray it on and let it work for a minute, its a solvent and should break that stuff up.
Use a wheel brush to get into the tight spots.

·
Registered
95 Posts
After you get em cleaned, what I did was put on "Turtle Wax once a year" on em and they stay clean. When they get dirty they clean right up with regular car wash soap!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Try Westleys bleche white, if that doesn't do it I would try some undilluted white vinegar in a spray bottle.

spray it on and let it work for a minute, its a solvent and should break that stuff up.
Use a wheel brush to get into the tight spots.
+1 on the Bleche White. That stuff eats brake dust and road grime and doesn't damage plastic. It will melt cheap paint but not hurt plastic.

Also +1 on a good wax or such occasionally. This material will benefit from it and cleanup will be easier.

·
Registered
87 Posts
go to napa and get yourself some "wheel brightener" by napa, its the only place i can think of that sells an acid based wheel cleaner over the counter. I run a detail shop, i use similar stuff every day. you're going to want to wear a mask and gloves, its nasty stuff but it will eat the grime and not damage the wheels. Just dont use it on any bare aluminum wheels (cheap aftermarket)....you'll make a mess of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are 4000 miles of brake dust on the front rims. The stuff wont come off with soap and water. It is almost like the brake dust has bonded to the chromed plastic. I have used a Mr. Clean Magic eraser on the larger surfaces but can not get in the smaller areas or crevices.

Any ideas/solutions?
I have the ultimate solution for you. Citrus Degreaser. I get it from The Home Depot. I have used it for years. It's very powerful and must be diluted 50%. It comes in a 1 gallon jug, or premixed in a squirt bottle. Made by ZEP. Don't get just any citrus degreaser, get that one.

You can use that stuff on everything! Wheels, Tires, suspension, engine, road grime, shoes, floor mats, household cleaning, all with a fresh orange scent! LOL.

p.s. the Wesley's White Wall cleaner is a very good product too. Very expensive for what you get though. I used to use that product until I found the orange cleaner.

my .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts