DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
Is there a list put together someplace of the chronic problems that the '14 Ram 1500 has (mines a Laramie with the 5.7 Hemi). So far I've done the sunroof drains, the rear sliding window and 3rd brakelight gaskets, the coolant bypass valve (that ones really stupid), the airbag computer (crazy expensive), and just today, the oil pressure sender. I'm sure there are other surprises lurking, but is there a list of them someplace so I can know what to expect?

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I guess their will always be certain trucks that develop problems with any brand. My 2014 has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned so far. I'm at 52K and I've only had the coolant bypass valve that threw a check engine light, that was fixed when the truck was still under warranty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
2014 Lonestar here.
Slowly creeping up on 60k,,,
Cab light leak, currently addressing a potential leak involving the slider gaskets, new fuel pump due to gauge sending unit failure, new valve body, then a complete transmission replacement approx. 3 months later,,,
Somewhere along the lines it was in for some kind of side curtain airbag recall,,,
My 09 was nearly perfect. (cab light leak)
My 14 has been in the shop more than any other vehicle I've ever owned,,,
I'm sure folks have had worse experiences with all manufacturers, but 'Here I am, and that's been my experience so far',,,
(Kinda scared to research 'coolant bypass valve')

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
At 78,000 miles I've replaced a rear main seal and a fuel pressure sensor. The original brakes even lasted almost 75,000 miles. I don't think either of the aforementioned are really what I'd call problems; sensor lives can be all over the place and I attribute the seal failure to long periods of sitting while I was deployed, followed by extensive driving when I got back-and its a wear part anyway.

Haven't had any leaks (I don't like sunroofs) or issues with the coolant bypass valve. Not sure what you mean by "airbag computer." How many miles are on it? 4 years sounds kind of young for an oil pressure sender to die

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a 14 Big Horn 5.7 at 64,000 and not one problem other then the recalls has never been in garage yet. :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the Longhorn with Ecodiesel. I currently have 121,000 miles on mine and the only two things I’ve had issue with is the air ride and that is only an issue in cold weather. The fix for that is to live in Florida! Lol! Or just not use the air ride to enter and exit. The only other issue was the 4X4 mode. It kept telling me to service the 4WD system. I found out that was caused by not going in and out of FWD often enough. My local mechanic told me to drive on gravel and keep shifting from 2WD to 4WD to get it work freely. I guess it gets a little surface rust or gummed up from lack of use so don’t be afraid to switch it back and forth once a month or so. Otherwise, mine has been trouble free!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Over 91k miles on my 2014, nothing major on my truck. Parking sensors on the front act up in rain / snow / sleet. But everything else has been flawless. I have some noise in the 4xd transfer right now that I need to get looked at. After my truck gets the rear bumper and tailgate replaced and repainted I'll probably set that up with the dealership later this month.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My old mans needed exhaust manifold studs around 35k if I recall, Wisconsin truck. Only issues I've had are previous owner related... cut wire on ambient air temp sensor (pretty sure someone ripped off the mirror.) The stock tires were complete junk (and curbed to hell on the inside, somehow,) but that's not really the truck.

Edit: 3rd brake light did leak but that was after I had it off to fog with VHT.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hemi exhaust manifold and bolts (one potential reversible cause of what you think is the hemi tick )had it done last year and it's back again. Think the bolts are on part revision I or J or something like that.

I've had bad luck with my leather wrapped steering wheel quality. Bought a replacement steering wheel and the seems to be wearing just as bad.

Third break light leak

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I've had bad luck with my leather wrapped steering wheel quality. Bought a replacement steering wheel and the seems to be wearing just as bad.

Curious about this one; dad and I both have leather wheels and no bizarre wear issues to speak of. Actually my Durango and mom's Durango have them too. What do you mean by "wearing bad"?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Specifically the seam at the 10/11 o'clock. I'll take some pictures later for you. Of my current one and the one I've removed from the truck and have as a spare now. I care for my leather and keep it clean and use conditioner and don't over condition either. And I always try and make sure I have clean hands before I drive. Yeah I know it's a truck but I'm also a grmafobe

Wait till I get home and show you the old one.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have 69K on my limited and I've had the oil pressure sensor, airbag control module, driver's side door control module, cruise control module, and the post-cat O2 sensor go out. Also have had the blower motor replaced and the upper console light thingy (the component with the sunroof controls and reading lights) replaced, both due to "short circuits". Finally, have had one of the valve body gaskets replaced due to a leak. Along with numerous odd electrical things like the remote start only works about half the time, other half the time it turns over then dies immediately and says "remote start disabled, start engine to reset" in the EVIC and the parking sensors will just randomly stop working while I'm driving. Out of nowhere in the middle of driving down the street it'll pop up on the EVIC saying "Parksense unavailable" and then immediately ding again saying it's available again.

I've never had a vehicle in the shop more than this one. Oh I also have had the driver's side seat rails replaced because they squeaked like a mofo.....that's coming back again but now that I'm out of warranty I'll have to suffer through it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts