DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some detailing advice (Primo Spaghetti??).

Just had my brand new black 2014 Laramie 1500 washed for the first time. Did my research and went to a highly-regarded hand wash operation here in Atlanta. They did a great job. Man, that is a BEAUTIFUL truck!!

I wanted them to put a good coat of wax on also. The owner recommended that before I seal it, I should do a Clay Bar treatment. Said since this was a new car that there is always dirt and particles that get trapped under the factory clear coat and Clay Bar is an effective way to smooth it out. He said I should do it before I wax so I don't seal in those "imperfections".

Is this a legitimate and safe process? If it is something that will preserve the beautiful black finish I'm willing to do it. However, I don't want to get tricked into an expensive process that I don't necessarily need.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
989 Posts
You received sound advice. It is safe and easy to do yourself if you heed the warnings on the box. Both Mother's... and Mcguiars... make a kit for the do-it-yourselfers. $25-30 at AutoZone type places.
If I were going to pay a detail shop to do it for me I'd ask them to assure me they were using a new piece of clay that had never been used before ...ever.

I'd recommend you do it yourself.... even if you've never done this type of thing before. It takes an hour to complete the entire truck and it's kinds fun.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
They gave you good advice. I clayed my truck 3-months after getting it new and the clay picked up crud, not much but enough I was glad I did it. It is an easy job to do oneself if you choose to, but a good, reputable detail shop should be fine if you prefer to go that route.

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Need some detailing advice (Primo Spaghetti??).

Just had my brand new black 2014 Laramie 1500 washed for the first time. Did my research and went to a highly-regarded hand wash operation here in Atlanta. They did a great job. Man, that is a BEAUTIFUL truck!!

I wanted them to put a good coat of wax on also. The owner recommended that before I seal it, I should do a Clay Bar treatment. Said since this was a new car that there is always dirt and particles that get trapped under the factory clear coat and Clay Bar is an effective way to smooth it out. He said I should do it before I wax so I don't seal in those "imperfections".

Is this a legitimate and safe process? If it is something that will preserve the beautiful black finish I'm willing to do it. However, I don't want to get tricked into an expensive process that I don't necessarily need.

Thanks for any input!
First off congrats on the truck.....You did receive good advice however I used a Nano Towel that was recommended by Primo.....Use that with the Nano lube and it works awesome.....I found it way better and saved some time using that product....I will attach a thread that I posted after I completed my first detail of my 13 Longhorn......

If you have any question, send me a PM....

Ed

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! I am sure you are as good as advertised, but it took me 1 month to convince my wife to spend $35K on a Ram. Convincing her that I need to spend $1000+ to detail a band new car might be impossible!

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Wow! I am sure you are as good as advertised, but it took me 1 month to convince my wife to spend $35K on a Ram. Convincing her that I need to spend $1000+ to detail a band new car might be impossible!
Wont cost you anywhere near that at all....

Send PrimoSpaghetti a PM and he can hook you up....Trust me you wont be disappointed.....

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Hi Sowen;

as everyone has stated, claying is a must do step IMO. there is a lot of garbage on the paint from transportation (rail dust) that you don't want to grind into the paint.

i would even recommend a polish after the clay but that is up to you.

you can get away with this all on your own for a lot less than 1000.00.

check out this post, an if you have any questions, shoot me a PM or an email.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=147243

Jeff

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Primo! I have an appt Friday to get clayed and waxed/sealed for $140. I'm one of those that doesn't have a lot of extra time so I don't mind paying a reasonably to get it done by professionals!

I appreciate everyone's feedback!!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Thanks, Primo! I have an appt Friday to get clayed and waxed/sealed for $140. I'm one of those that doesn't have a lot of extra time so I don't mind paying a reasonably to get it done by professionals!

no problem! good luck and post some pic when it is all done!

i think that is pretty reasonable price considering you don't have the time to do it yourself.

·
Banned
5,858 Posts

If you can get a quality wash/clay/seal/wax for $140, then GO for it! That is a great price, provided you are happy with the results. Please post again to let us know how it came out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts