DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,446 Posts
I use windex, then put a good paint sealant on them and then a coat of wax. Protects well and the brake dust and crap just seem to rinse off.
Jay

·
Registered
340 Posts
I did not even notice they were plastic chrome wheels till later. What's up with that??? To bad my 1996 ram wheels are not 20's. I would switch them out. I have been thinking about real wheels. To many things in the way at the moment though.

Me...

·
Registered
89 Posts
seeing as its not real chrome, its just chrome cladding, I dont use any chrome polish since it will destroy the wheel.

I just use windex and some paper towels, Spend about 15-20 minutes a wheel. When im done those things sparkle.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The chrome on the plastic is the only problem I have with my truck they seam pitted and stained is the only way I can describe never get completely clean any suggestions?
You can use a product called Iron X. I'll use it if I have a wheel that is pitted/stained with brake dust. This will eat the iron and disolve it. Spray it on the wheel, agitate a bit, spray lightly again and watch the product work. You know the product is working as it turns from clear to purple. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, agitate again then rinse. After you finish washing your car, hit the wheels with the wheel brush again with soap mixture making sure it is washed. Your wheels will look better than new.

My Fathers wheels are pretty bad, so I will see if I can take a couple before, during and after pics this weekend.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I just use quick detailer. It works better than Windex. And its easier to remove and bring the shine up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Been wondering about this because of my rims being plastic chrome plated, you have to be sure not to put harsh chemicals on them. I purchased a kit from McGuires that includes a foam wheel that attaches to a drill. The kit also comes with a bottle of chrome/metal cleaner and a bottle of sponge cleaner. The chrome/metal cleaner included in this kit is NOT to be used on chrome plated plastic (as indicated on bottle). I use the rotating foam" brush" and a few squirts of Sunlight dish soap diluted in warm water to wash my rims. Then I rinse with water and wipe dry with a clean cloth and they sparkle like new. That is one advantage of the plastic chrome rims I guess...they are easy to clean and maintain. I am hesitant to put anything other than mild soap on those plastic rims as I would not want to risk ruining them in the long run.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.