DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody new to THIS forum, but this one seemed the most legit and responsive.

Usually with our vehicles I can pretty much figure everything out... but not this time I'm stumped.

Background info... 98 Ram 1500 2wd 318 V8 new trans and rear

Now the problem-I've been noticing driving the truck up certain hills I hear a slight tick (sounds kind of like snapping your fingers). I also noticed around 55 to 60 I hear it to. Oil pressure, voltage, temperature, and everything seem to be working proper. Trans and motor are knock on wood perfect and she handles great. I got the check engine light to appear and got my scanner out and got 4 codes. A p0138 (02 sensor circuit high voltage bank 1 sensor 2), a p0305 (cylinder 5 misfire), and (2) two p0740 (TCC circuit malfunction).

I have recently put a whole new cat, plugs, wires, cap/rotor on...
Also I filled up with 92 octane and still have it.

I am kind of thinking the misfire (the misfire I don't even and haven't noticed) is because of the bad 02 sensor..

But back to the noise, It's literally driving me insane. Today I erased the codes to hopefully maybe trigger the engine light again and see which code is the responsible problem for the tick.

But with all those codes and info. I was wondering if anyone has had this or new what the problem would possibly be?

Please help I'm sick of this BS!:mad:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hey everybody new to THIS forum, but this one seemed the most legit and responsive.

Usually with our vehicles I can pretty much figure everything out... but not this time I'm stumped.

Background info... 98 Ram 1500 2wd 318 V8 new trans and rear

Now the problem-I've been noticing driving the truck up certain hills I hear a slight tick (sounds kind of like snapping your fingers). I also noticed around 55 to 60 I hear it to. Oil pressure, voltage, temperature, and everything seem to be working proper. Trans and motor are knock on wood perfect and she handles great. I got the check engine light to appear and got my scanner out and got 4 codes. A p0138 (02 sensor circuit high voltage bank 1 sensor 2), a p0305 (cylinder 5 misfire), and (2) two p0740 (TCC circuit malfunction).

I have recently put a whole new cat, plugs, wires, cap/rotor on...
Also I filled up with 92 octane and still have it.

I am kind of thinking the misfire (the misfire I don't even and haven't noticed) is because of the bad 02 sensor..

But back to the noise, It's literally driving me insane. Today I erased the codes to hopefully maybe trigger the engine light again and see which code is the responsible problem for the tick.

But with all those codes and info. I was wondering if anyone has had this or new what the problem would possibly be?

Please help I'm sick of this BS!:mad:
First thing to do is to fix that misfire. Now as for the sound that you are having, it may be a exhaust leak. At first I thought maybe the engine is pinging because you say it happens under load (up hill) but you are using a higher octane fuel so it shouldn't be pinging. Since you put a new cat on that gives me the notion that their is a small exhaust leak.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
wouldn't an exhaust leak make a constant noise?
Well depends on how bad a leak, think of thermal expansion and such. Also at certain engine speeds themselves overlap from a cam will go from EGR effect to a purging effect at higher speed. But ok lets just say it's not the exhaust then what else?
We know a couple things, the noise occurs at 60MPH? Only at 60 or does it start at 60 and continue up?

Also the noise is of a finger snapping sound right? Not a knocking sound or a pining sound? It would be ping but we ruled that out based on high octance fuel and the fact that you report the noise occur at a certain speed which means this is strictly a speed related issue which is go narrow things down.

Now where do you notice this noise to be coming from? The front of the vehicle, middle, the rear? Is their a vibration with the noise? Do you notice any changes in RPM when the noise begins? Things like this will be helpful, a single type of noise like a knock for example can originate from almost any part of a vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems around 50-70 is when it occurs and also there is no powerloss or rise in rpms. The truck is completely normal when it happens and you feel no difference. The noise also doesnt happen all the time only here and there. Also It seems like closer to drivers side but just on the other side of the fire wall or close to floor boards(sorry for not being specific as to where the noise is coming but its just hard to exactly tell). It is definetly driver side though. So if the noise is related to the misfire on 5 it would make sense (cylinder 5 is on drivers side).

Today the light popped back on and this time just the misfire. Nothing about the TCC. The only code was the misfire on cylinder 5. There is absolutely no exhaust leak, compression is great, and exhaust is not popping like a valve going bad or anything.

Today i worked from the plug backwards. The plug turned out fine, but I pulled the cap and rotor both were a little dirty for being new so i scraped them clean and upon test drive the noise didn't appear as much. So now I ordered a new cap and rotor (grandfather works at napa so 60 to 75 percent off everything) and I will see where that takes us:4-dontknow:.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
It seems around 50-70 is when it occurs and also there is no powerloss or rise in rpms. The truck is completely normal when it happens and you feel no difference. The noise also doesnt happen all the time only here and there. Also It seems like closer to drivers side but just on the other side of the fire wall or close to floor boards(sorry for not being specific as to where the noise is coming but its just hard to exactly tell). It is definetly driver side though. So if the noise is related to the misfire on 5 it would make sense (cylinder 5 is on drivers side).

Today the light popped back on and this time just the misfire. Nothing about the TCC. The only code was the misfire on cylinder 5. There is absolutely no exhaust leak, compression is great, and exhaust is not popping like a valve going bad or anything.

Today i worked from the plug backwards. The plug turned out fine, but I pulled the cap and rotor both were a little dirty for being new so i scraped them clean and upon test drive the noise didn't appear as much. So now I ordered a new cap and rotor (grandfather works at napa so 60 to 75 percent off everything) and I will see where that takes us:4-dontknow:.

Any other ideas?
Yea a misfire will make a pinging like sound, similar to what you describe. I would check the spark plug for any fouling and test the fuel injector.

To test the fuel injector try switching out the #1 and #5 fuel injector, if you get misfire with #1 then you know the fuel injector is no good. If you still get misfires with #5 it can be the injector wiring or the ECM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I was thinking the same thing. I am still going to order a new cap and rotor though. thanks for your help, it will be till next wed. until i have time to go deeper into this. I will be sure to update then.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Ya I was thinking the same thing. I am still going to order a new cap and rotor though. thanks for your help, it will be till next wed. until i have time to go deeper into this. I will be sure to update then.
Well in the mean time just try switching those injectors.
No problem anytime.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts