DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 09 ram reg cab and last sat i noticed a clicking noise right by my AC and it comes on right when i turn my truck on and will go for a few seconds and shut off then go on for 5 sec and shut off
i took it to the dealer no warranty!!!! 1,200 bucks and they will fix it they told me its mostly labor they have to take the whole dash off!
am i getting ripped off? and can this issue be resolved for less money.. i dnt trust the dealer there dumb as hell!
let me know!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Wow, $1200 bucks and they didn't even tell you what it was. Yeah, I think they may be trying to take some of your hard earned $$$$$.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on another forum someone said they quoted them for 4 hours!!!
they said its a faulty blend door actuator on another forum they said its a simple fix but idk

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is the blend door actuator for the AC I just had mine fixed. It took the dealership about 6 hours to get it done. Mine may have taken longer because I have the full center console and all that had to come out to get to it. Im sure you could get it done for a lot cheaper 1200 seems steep thats over 700 just for the actuator if the shop charge is 100/hr like it is here

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got a recall on my truck about that. Although I haven't heard the noise yet, But $1200 is ridiculous, Why did they say it wasn't covered under warranty? I would go to the dodge website, fill out your information and request to see if you truck has a recall on it. I have a 09 as well, and they told me I could take it to any dodge dealership, they would run my VIN # and fix it for no cost to me. I would try and find out if your truck has a recall on it as well before you decide to spend the $1200. I think it is bullshit if they try to charge you for a part that is going bad on a vehicle that Chrysler MFG put together. I believe you spent alot of money on a vehicle that you depend on and when a part thats bad goes out they should fix it. Like I said I got a letter in the mail about a recall for my HVAC, and I talked to a service rep at my local dodge dealership, and he told me they would reprogam the HVAC system and if needed they would replace my acuator, the noise you describing is the exact noise he told me was why the issued the recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got mine back from the dealer. Had the same noise and could not control the AC fan speed. Dealer replaced the HVAC actuator and reflashed; problem gone. Funny thing is that when I signed into my account on Dodge's website it showed no outstanding recall, even though I received the recall notice months ago. I talked with my salesperson who usually keeps tabs on my truck when in the shop and he joked about it being a recall of a recall. I'm guessing when I first got the recall the dealer checked during a routine oil change and cleared everything since the AC was working fine at the time. Recall notice is "Customer Satisfaction Notification K17" and covers 2009 and 2010 models. I'd either find a dealer who's willing to work with you or call the customer service number in the recall notice: 1-800-853-1403.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old forum but this just happened to my truck last night :(

I check the dodge website to see if I had a recall issued and it says no. Will they still fix it? Its odd that mine is having problems but has no record of being fixed or having a recall issued

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with 2010 RAM, Dealer ran my VIN and said no recall. Guess I'll deal with the noise until I want to pay or it breaks. Only had my truck for 10 months...Urrr

·
Registered
675 Posts
air conditioner recall

I have posted this before but will again. This is a recall issue. My dealer did not know anything about it until I looked up the recall number on the internet (I think it is K17 but check to make sure) and took it in to them. He started reading the recall and told me it only dealt with a reprogram issue on the HVAC. I told him to read a little farther and it says to replace the actuator on the HVAC system. Six hours later my truck was repaired at no charge. They also did a great job. The whole dash DOES NOT have to be removed as access is through the bottom of the dash. I have the center console and it added a little time to the process. Take this recall to the dealer with you and they will repair it at no charge.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I had the same issue about 2 months ago. I went to the dealer and bought the actuator my self for $35. replaced it on about 30 minutes. then I found out about the recall. they gave me a number to get reimbursed for the part.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
For those out of warranty and like to fix your own things, here is a quick guide for that clicking noise.

Chances are it is only the motor that is bad if it is clicking or thumping.
Not very hard to fix really. I think most of these cases are the motor gears stripping and not the doors themselves.

If you know how to take the center stack bezel around the radio off you are halfway there. Don't forget about the screw over the 115V out let. Take the bezel off then the two side 12V acc. plugs. Remove the ring bezel around the cup holder if equipped.

The culprit is the lower center motor, unplug remove two screws and remove.
If the gears are stripped you can position the big gear 180 out from the smaller gear. The door only travels about 120 degrees so won't hit the stripped part.

Reassemble and you should be good to go. 1 to 2 hours of your time. If you want to get a new motor it is about $40 from Chrysler.

Hopefully this is the extent of your problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clicking Noise AC

Anyone have any problems with a 2011 Ram with the AC blower clicking for a few seconds when you turn it on? It dosent stay on and dosent happen but 70-80% of the time. I have taken it in and all that was out there was the 2009-2010 recal which they checked out and said it was the issue.

·
Premium Member
32,560 Posts
I see Dodge is still using the CHEAP white plastic gears
when will they their collective heads screwed on right

·
Registered
23 Posts
thank you very very much for your repair pictures! just did mine and you just saved me alot of money and to the guy who started this post i guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

New to the forum but am hoping someone with some dealership experience can help me out. I own a 2009 Ram 1500 SLT. Had the clicking noise with my HVAC system and took it in recently for recall K17. Before the repairs, I could get cold or hot air but couldn't control where the air was going. After said work, it only blows warm air now and I was told that the actuator doors were replaced and the head reprogrammed. I was also told that a new control head was needed, to the tune of 265 dollars. Can someone tell me if I'm having the wool pulled over my eyes? I feel as though I am and when I asked why the system only blows warm air they gave me the standard answer of "the system is tricky with things like this and could be anything internal failing." Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Hey guys,

New to the forum but am hoping someone with some dealership experience can help me out. I own a 2009 Ram 1500 SLT. Had the clicking noise with my HVAC system and took it in recently for recall K17. Before the repairs, I could get cold or hot air but couldn't control where the air was going. After said work, it only blows warm air now and I was told that the actuator doors were replaced and the head reprogrammed. I was also told that a new control head was needed, to the tune of 265 dollars. Can someone tell me if I'm having the wool pulled over my eyes? I feel as though I am and when I asked why the system only blows warm air they gave me the standard answer of "the system is tricky with things like this and could be anything internal failing." Many thanks.
It sounds like they screwed something up. Your original problem definitely sounds like the blend door motor, (see my post above) only blows out the lower outlets both hot and cold air.

I would take it to another dealer and tell them what the original problem was and what was done to fix it and tell them you have a new problem now after the fix, only hot air blowing now.

The blend door motor is a simple fix really so if they replaced all the motors for the doors it might be a bad motor for the temperature blend or they updated the program wrong somehow. Not totally sure but I think the motor to blend hot and cold is behind the glove box.

This is just speculation on my part.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Blend door actuator replaced!!! I will add one thing to Ramzaq's write-up. When I initially got the new actuator put back in everything started coming out as defrost. I'd recommend hooking the two connections to the HVAC module back up and making sure it works right before you replace everything. I had to take the actuator out, crank the selector to the vent setting and then turn the blend door by hand so it was coming out the vents so that way the door and actuator were both on the same page. After that I buttoned everything back up and all is good.

It really is very easy. I ended up getting a new actuator on eBay for $22. Even if they fixed it under the recall, it'd probably cost me more than that just to drive to the dealer. Just to give you an idea, I threw a frozen pizza in the oven for the boys just before I was putting everything back together. I still made it back inside with 3 minutes to spare.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Good point. Just plug everything in first to make sure it is running right.

Interesting about what you had to do to get it working properly. Pretty much just plugged mine in and it worked. I did have to move the gear I turned 180 out a tooth or two to get a proper lineup, but that was about it.

Glad to hear everything worked out well and you didn't burn the pizza.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Who makes the actuators for Mopar? All the parts store actuators are from Dorman. I just replaced my bad actuator and the new one started clicking after a few days. I just got another one and replaced it, but I took the original and Dorman actuators apart and, as cheesy as the stock one is supposed to be the aftermarket look even worse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chrysler Case

Guys... had the same problem with the clicking noise in the dash. I lost the ability to direct air to the front windshield for defog/defrost purposes. I took my vehicle to the local Dodge dealership to have Cust Satisfaction Notification K17 done on my vehicle. But, they refused because my particular VIN didn't show that K17 was an option for me. I called the number on the K17 notification and opened a case with Chrysler... they called my dealership while I was still on the line and talked with the service manager. When Chrysler came back to me, they transferred me to my dealers service manager to schedule an appointment to have it done.

I'm very satisfied. If you're VIN doesn't show up, don't worry... just call Chrysler and they will make sure the problem is taken care of. Now that's an example of making customer satisfaction a top priority.

-Troy

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
25 Participants
db34
DODGE RAM FORUM
We’re the ultimate Dodge RAM forum to talk about the RAM 1500, 2500 and 3500 including the Cummins powered models.
Full Forum Listing