DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've got a 08 Big Horn Quad Cab with 11k miles on it (just got it with 7500 miles on it) and I have recently, over the last week or so, been noticing a popping/clicking noise anytime I turn the steering wheel to cut it hard for a turn (usually backing out in reverse or making a tight turn somewhere).

The noise is only coming from what sounds like just behind the steering wheel, not the front end itself. I'm concern because the noise hasn't stopped but if anything maybe slightly worse over the last few days.

Anyone have any ideas of what this could be and why? Also would it be something that is covered under warranty and how much is it to fix a problem like this...if anyone even knows what it may be?

Thanks for the help :smileup:

·
Administrator
53,082 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't really paid it too much attention that I can answer yes or no to that sorry. However I think most of the time when it does it I have to turn the radio down or have it quiet inside. It's not terribly loud but its not something that you barely hear either, obviously...

With the truck in park I can turn my tires all around and get it to duplicate the clicking/popping sound usually... it normally is when I do full rotation of the tires....almost like even a "catching" sound.

Hopefully someone out there know!

·
Administrator
53,082 Posts
Oh, mine is the opposite, I don't get it in park, but like yours, it sounds either right behind the wheel or in the column itself. I checked the multi-function switch, everything, and when I took it in last time, dealership said key cylinder......To be continued, lol, but good luck with yours! :)

- Cajun

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Hi all,

I've got a 08 Big Horn Quad Cab with 11k miles on it (just got it with 7500 miles on it) and I have recently, over the last week or so, been noticing a popping/clicking noise anytime I turn the steering wheel to cut it hard for a turn (usually backing out in reverse or making a tight turn somewhere).

The noise is only coming from what sounds like just behind the steering wheel, not the front end itself. I'm concern because the noise hasn't stopped but if anything maybe slightly worse over the last few days.

Anyone have any ideas of what this could be and why? Also would it be something that is covered under warranty and how much is it to fix a problem like this...if anyone even knows what it may be?

If your truck is still under it's basic warranty, then yes, it would be a covered repair.

·
Registered
433 Posts
when i back out my driveway and turn to the left it does it pretty loud on my 2005 1500 slt.... but mine sounds like it comes from the a arm or something

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
My truck does the same thing and I dismissed it because of my lift. I also have it coming from the rear on a decent rolling right turn, it's coming from the left. My tech can't get it to duplicate either.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
My truck does the same thing and I dismissed it because of my lift. I also have it coming from the rear on a decent rolling right turn, it's coming from the left. My tech can't get it to duplicate either.
Hehehe...it never did it when during the cruise either. At least not that I ever noticed!

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Touche'! Promise it does. The F**d service mgr across the way said it was the um....crud...not steering box.....it's a sleeved item that you screw to tighten slop in the wheel/loose alignment????? He could hear it. But it never fixed it. I never thought to have you drive it! Dang it. Next year! You can drive her next year! PP2G

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
He thinks it needs an over center adjustment? That's why he's a service manager and not a service technician!

·
Registered
22 Posts
mine does the same noise but i back up to the right makes e distinct pop nois bout 3/4 the way through wheele turn i thenk its the driver tie rod but havn't looked into it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Mine does the same thing. Found that, if I adjust the steering wheel position, (up or down), the clicking noise goes away. But in that certain position, the clicking continues. So at least I have narrowed the problem down. I am going to take the bottom of the dash off, to see what is hitting, (in that one wheel position), that causes the clicking. One I find the point of clicking, it may just need a little grease or WD. (Hopefully)!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts