DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About a month ago I took my Ram in to have the tech look into an annoying clicking sound coming from my steering wheel column when I turn the wheel left. They came back with a broken spring, that is in some sealed component, for the airbag system. I gave them the go ahead to perform the r&r and went back to pick it up later in the day. Drove it home and the moment I turned the wheel I hear...Yup! The annoying clicking sound happening in both directions!:Wow1: I drove it back for them to go over it once more. This time, when they went over the problem, they couldn't recreate the sound I was getting when I drove it home. The tech also told the service manager, whom in turned told me,...are you ready for this..."Some Rams will have some clicking sound in the steering column." This is news to me and also the biggest load I ever heard. Fortunately, I have the service manager agreeing with me and I have a year for the dealership to make good on the parts and labor.

So! Is it bs talk about some Rams having that clicking sound or is it true - More so because the weather turned hot or some weird phenomenon? Of course I am hedging towards the "bs talk". Last question, if not this sealed unit that somehow ties into the air bag, then what else could it be? I am going back and I would appreciate all the ammo I can carry with me to the dealership so I can go a few :box:. OH! And yes to this day it is still clicking. In fact, for them to hear the sound now, shouldn't be no problem at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only swag (scientific wild a** guess) would be the turn signal mechanism...
You know, I ran that by that service goof and got "We didn't see any other problems, other than the air bag unit." I wondered if they even looked? I am heading back over with the "turn signal mechanism." Thanks for the "swag"...Appreciate it!:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
2010 Dodge Ram

Same thing happening here, but for the most part it only happens first thing in the morning when I head off to work. Then it goes away after I turn out of the parking spot. Is anybody else having this issue?

Thanks,
Josh D.

·
Premium Member
32,612 Posts
Before air bags, you only had a horn & turn signal devise, the only thing that could make a noise was the signal device

Now that they have the steering wheel air bag, which is the ONLY sealed unit in the column, unless there is something that i can't see, there is still only one device that ratchets & that is the turn signal device

self canceling mechanism
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turn-signal3.htm

Dodge seems to be avoiding anything to do with the turn signal device
as it is a MULTIFUNCTION devise
turn signals, windshield wipers, high/low beam headlights are all controlled by it
with the 2006 - 2008 Mega Cab, many owners are complaining about pulling the lever down to make a left turn & the right side turn signals come on instead
to give you idea, i will try to post a website, although no one seems to have your problem
http://vlane.com/discuss-topic/1336/2006-dodge-ram-turn-signal-problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same Problem

I have four thousand miles on my Ram and the steering wheel clicks all the time, every time I turn the wheel in both directions. It's so loud now I can hear it over the radio. Going to try to get it in today and see what the problem is. Just wondering if you had any updates on yours?

TD

·
Administrator
53,067 Posts
I have a similar clicking sound as well, which I was told was normal and I hear it turning in either direction but since it's not loud enough to be annoying I let it be. When I took mine to the dealership, I was getting the sound even driving on a straight stretch of road, and that sound they were never able to replicate. Figured that one out myself after reading some other posts on here, it was actually my brake pedal making the noise.

- Cajun

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have four thousand miles on my Ram and the steering wheel clicks all the time, every time I turn the wheel in both directions. It's so loud now I can hear it over the radio. Going to try to get it in today and see what the problem is. Just wondering if you had any updates on yours?

TD
My 2012 is doing the same thing. Its getting louder too. Anyone find out what this is yet? My brake pedal squeaks too. I'm afraid to take it to the dealer without some idea of what it is. I really don't want them to just squirt a bunch of WD40 all over everything...

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
my jeep has a clicking sound when ever i turn the steering wheel and i was told its a clock spring and they wanted 600 to fix it

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2012 Sport just started doing this the other day. Not very happy considering it has less than 2,000 miles on it. Has anyone figured out exactly what it is? I'll be calling my dealer fairly soon and would like to have some knowledge on this before I take it in.

It only happens while turning left and when straightening the wheel back from the left turn.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
4000 klm and it started this weekend, after about a half hour it start to click, whether I turn left or right or go left and turn back right or vis versa, it does this little incremental click, like its a steering position sensor for the computer to record where the steering is at. Not sure, was gonna look under there and spay some lubs in to see if it will go away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have this strange tick as well. Sometimes but not always! After I pulled the wheel off incl. the Airbag, I thought later that it might be this Airbag Spring but I think it comes more from the Left side of the steering wheel. So maybe something from the whiper signal?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just purchased a 2002 quad cab 4.7 with 136K miles. I have noticed that the steering column will click for the first 3 or 4 miles but then stops clicking. Has anyone figured this out yet?

·
Registered
649 Posts
It's the Steering Wheel Position Sensor also called by some a "clock spring".

Don't bother getting it replaced. Had mine replaced 3 times in the past 2 months. Would go away for a few weeks then come back. After the third time I gave up. I bought a steering wheel cover and when I make turns my hand rubbing the cover overrides the clicking. My dealer said it is the only thing that will click in the column. Anyone figures out how to defeat this please let me know.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I noticed that when I was on the highway driving 65+ i was using my knees to steer the vehicle. I pressed up a little to hard and herd the same clicking sound I get when I turn. I now notice that my vehicle no longer clicks when I turn the wheel. Try pulling up or pressing up on the wheel with your knees.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clicking when turning steering wheel

My 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 has a clicking sound when I turn my steering wheel, left or right. I was told the only part which could cause this was the clock spring. My mechanic removed the clock spring preparing to replace it and found out the clicking sound was still there. Dodge said the clock spring was the only thing that could cause the sound. My mechanic proved that wrong, Dodge still stood by the only cause of the clicking sound. What to do now, my mechanic this problem is beyond his expertise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 has a clicking sound when I turn my steering wheel, left or right. I was told the only part which could cause this was the clock spring. My mechanic removed the clock spring preparing to replace it and found out the clicking sound was still there. Dodge said the clock spring was the only thing that could cause the sound. My mechanic proved that wrong, Dodge still stood by the only cause of the clicking sound. What to do now, my mechanic this problem is beyond his expertise.

Did your mech come up with a solution as well?
My 2011 developed this noise some time ago.

We pulled off the steering wheel and turned the clock spring, noise came from that region, then we replaced the clock spring and everything was good. For one day... The noise is back now.

Don't know if it could come from the indicator, but if yes, I'm even willing to swap the lever if it elliminates that noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Merry Christmas everyone I'm new to forum's but I have a 2004 quad cab 1500 hemi 5.7 liter and had the air bags recall done after about a week or so my steering wheel started clicking and then started rocking side to side up and down dealer put new clock sping in after I just Changed it .they put a Chrysler clock spring and I was told the old one was bad yup a ate 115 bucks and it taste like sh_t seriously so I had a mission to prove them wrong .so there one person in this whole country who kinda figured it out upper steering column bearings that connect to the steering wheel. Oh great now I know what its but not that easy they discontinued making that steering column and any parts for it now I can get a used one but I'm right back with the same junk that was put in there in the first place. IF ANYONE CAN SUGGEST ANYTHING BETTER PLEASE I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.PLEASE PLEASE HELP HOPE EVERYONE HOLIDAYS ARE SAFE THANK U

·
Registered
53 Posts
Boys, I found a solution for my problem!
I alsways had the noise when turning the steering wheel to the left. Lately I saw how the whole airbag module lifted itself about 4-5mm when the wheel was about 90° right while turning it left, as it was close to center the airbag module "fell down", which caused the noise and a slight vibration in the wheel.

We put the airbag out of the wheel an tightened the lower clamp on the module a little bit in center direction and boom - no more noise!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts