DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've read about the "hemi tick" etc. and I've had a Dodge Charger R/T, but I've never actually heard it, nor am I sure that's what I've got.

Twice now when I've started the truck (2014 Ram 1500 Express, 12k miles), it "ticks" , "clicks" for ~5-10 seconds then stops and everything seems ok. Scares the hell out of me though (just bought it last week):SHOCKED: . It sounds like its coming from the Driver side of the engine, almost like the fan hitting something (think baseball card in spokes) is the best I can describe it. Doesn't sound like knocking, there's no real vibration and seems utterly fine after that 5-10 seconds of butthole clenching:str: "clicking".

Anyone have any suggestions? Is this normal? Switch to synthetic? Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
What brand of oil filter is on it? Are you sure you have 5W20 oil in it?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Fuel, temperature, oil viscosity

The tick is also from a slight delay in oil pressurization at start up. Hard valve metal ticks as it contacts other metal surfaces.
Certain fuels have so called "oxygenates" or depending on your area of the country - grain or corn alcohols with slightly different combustion activity.
In colder weather they (thank you midwest corn lobbyists) can be a bit stubborn to combust.
You can use any modern motor oil and get YEARS and years from your motor with regular oil changes.
Video tape the noise, if it persists or get worse, tell your dealership.
There is after all the possibility of a out of spec valve or something odd.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If it was me.......I would put a NAPA Gold 7899 oil filter on with Pennzoil Platinum synthetic. Sounds like the anti-drain back valve is leaking in the oil filter. Just use the dealer oil change as a good engine flush. When you change oil/oil filter "you" know what's in it for sure. Ticking gone? Done. Not gone? Back to dealer. Keep the receipts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have heard this "ticking" noise as well twice in the past few weeks. Have had the truck almost a year and never heard the noise before. It's only happened on a cold start and goes away after a few seconds. I have oil changes done every 6mo 6k miles through dealer. My brother who owns an 09' RAM HEMI said he's heard the noise as well before. As stated above, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary after this happens.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I get a tick sometimes, not always though. - minus 10-20c when it happens. will be going to synthetic soon as I wanted to run conventional for the break-in

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine has the same tick after start up as well with 8900 miles on the clock. All my oil changes have been done at the dealer. They said it's normal for the Hemi.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Mine does and it has synthetic in it. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Absolute junk if you ask me.

Lol the Hemi has the best track record for reliability and durability of any gas truck engine currently available.

I know you're upset about your paint and transmission, but come on.

·
Registered
99 Posts
For the last few days of cold weather, so far I have not heard of the ticking noise on the engine. I got ~1600 miles on it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
My 2010 with the 4.7L would tick every morning. The Hemi's do the same. Not an issue. (unless a rocker breaks)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, I've read about the "hemi tick" etc. and I've had a Dodge Charger R/T, but I've never actually heard it, nor am I sure that's what I've got.

Twice now when I've started the truck (2014 Ram 1500 Express, 12k miles), it "ticks" , "clicks" for ~5-10 seconds then stops and everything seems ok. Scares the hell out of me though (just bought it last week):SHOCKED: . It sounds like its coming from the Driver side of the engine, almost like the fan hitting something (think baseball card in spokes) is the best I can describe it. Doesn't sound like knocking, there's no real vibration and seems utterly fine after that 5-10 seconds of butthole clenching:str: "clicking".

Anyone have any suggestions? Is this normal? Switch to synthetic? Thanks for reading!
Put penzoil synthetic ultra in there and it will stop!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts