DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to fix the part of the cluster where the screen lights up and tells you the mileage/lamp out and maybe other things on an 04 ram I forgot. I'm not sure I'll know how to fix that exactly so I was thinking about just swapping out with one from a junkyard or online. If I did this would there be a special procedure I need to do or just remove the old and plug in the new? Would the mileage adjust automatically? Thanks!

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Mileage will not adjust automatically. Your original mileage will be stored in the PCM and the cluster will accrue mileage as you go, but they won't sync up. This is why dealerships won't install anything but a new cluster because it gets initialized to the vehicle and it's mileage. There are services that can update and/or probably repair your original cluster; for mileage update on a replacement you'd have to see what their requirements are (and my vary by state law).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm going to check and maybe reset some solder tomorrow and see if I can fix it. If I do get a used cluster I'll have to just get it close to my mileage for now. I wouldn't care if it was off a few thousand miles but really not more than that. I know my jeep had less miles on the odometer than whatever was recorded when it was inspected prior to me owning it (the mechanic was sent an alert but it wouldn't tell us the actual mileage). I believe cars after 10 years the mileage doesn't need to be recorded in NY.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
A vehicle owner can go to a shop that works on speedometers
They can certify that the speedometer was replaced & you carry the Certification with your Registration.
They do that so a person can't sell the vehicle claiming that the vehicle has less mileage on it then it really does, because that would be Fraud

As you mentioned, it may not matter after 10 years

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually I know that on some makes mileage is checked by the PCM through the transmission. My 03 venture (I know I know) had to have the tranny replaced. It had little over 200k when we took it in. When we got the van back the mileage changed to 172k, so I am pretty sure newer vehicles that use digital displays do not store any data they just display. It makes it harder for someone to roll the odometer back just by replacing the instrument cluster with one out of a junked car. Now you have to replace something that is more expensive and tedious just to get a few $100 extra when you go to sell it.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
When a cluster is new for these vehicles it is uninitialized. Once it gets plugged into the vehicle harness, it gets initialized to that vehicle and pulls mileage from the PCM. Once that happens, it will not change unless you have the proper connecting hardware and software to do so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts