DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went ahead and swapped out my clutch fan and ac fan to an electric fan out of a 2010-2013 ram 1500 v6. I also changed my old thermostat to a 180 that I got from Moe’s Performance. The project was simple, theres a tutorial video on how to do the fan swap online I’ll post that below. My truck used to run at about 197-204 degrees, I now hold steady below 185 after doing a little messing around with the diablosport tuner since you can adjust what temperature the fan kicks on at. If you can’t find a local junkyard that has that oem fam, heres where you can find it on amazon. The job is easy, me and a friend did it in about an hour or so. In a week or 2 I’ll post back and let you know any significant changes in mpg, if any. Also, the picture of the Denso tag is off the oem fan thats out of a 2010-2013 ram 1500 v6, just so you can match them up if you get lucky and find one.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-621-4...---------0&dpPl=1&dpID=51iNU31ZVTL&ref=plSrch

https://youtu.be/Fn0whRnJqWU

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
+1, I’m knew to the RAM trucks scene,and I’m curious to know the purpose of this mod as well, I have HPTuners and I’ll be diving into tuning my truck soon, typically I mod the fan first as it’s the easy part usually ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I hear The clutch fan creates an unneccessary load on your engine, taking that off lessens the parasitic loss of HP, so that and lowering the temperature of your engine gives it a little more get up and go. So for that reason and the fact that I got the replacement fan for cheap and the job itself seemed pretty simple, I figured just to do it and see what happens. And it worked out good. I think the key to this all coming together though is having a tuner that allows you to set the kick on temperature for the fan. i have the diablosport dcx-1000. Im not sure how it would work without the tuner. Im also in the process of switching from the hemifever 89 octane tune to 91, so i just filled up with super, and I was told to run 3 tanks of super through the truck before switching the tune. So maybe when i put it on I’ll see the full potential of this mod.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Realistically there is minimal parasitic loss to the clutch fan, especially when the additional load of the efan on the electrical system, i.e. alternator which is driven by the engine, is considered. You may pick up a couple HP, but remember that if an E fan goes out it just stops working-if a fan clutch goes out then it stays on all the time.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
There is only one thing to gain with this mod for everyday driving.
That is it makes the engine bay a good bit cleaner and gives you more room, and makes it just a hair quieter.

There is no measurable mpg gain, not really any power gain in the everyday rpm range and very well may be a mpg loss with the coolant at 185 or less.

You "may" see a slight quarter mile increase with the fan mod - but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have any idea where i could get engine cover halves for my 2014 Ram 5.7. I would like to take off my full engine cover and replace it with 2 halves should help it run a little cooler......ramman123

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Do you mean the plastic trim cover on top of the intake? If so, why not just remove it completely, as far as I know it is just for looks and noise reduction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I went ahead and swapped out my clutch fan and ac fan to an electric fan out of a 2010-2013 ram 1500 v6. I also changed my old thermostat to a 180 that I got from Moe’s Performance. The project was simple, theres a tutorial video on how to do the fan swap online I’ll post that below. My truck used to run at about 197-204 degrees, I now hold steady below 185 after doing a little messing around with the diablosport tuner since you can adjust what temperature the fan kicks on at. If you can’t find a local junkyard that has that oem fam, heres where you can find it on amazon. The job is easy, me and a friend did it in about an hour or so. In a week or 2 I’ll post back and let you know any significant changes in mpg, if any. Also, the picture of the Denso tag is off the oem fan thats out of a 2010-2013 ram 1500 v6, just so you can match them up if you get lucky and find one.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-621-4...---------0&dpPl=1&dpID=51iNU31ZVTL&ref=plSrch

Do I need to tune my truck to run the E fan? In the video he was saying he’s getting the Diablo tuner soon so I’m not sure if I should tune it as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts