DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently when driving my 1999 dodge ram 2500 5.9L v8 once in gear the clutch begins to slip majorly, oddly enough it only began to slip over two days to get as bad as it is now which is almost undrivable because of how much it slips, there was a small grinding noise when engaging the clutch in the past but not all the time. I can also hear a bad bearing while idling, not extremely bad but just enough to hear it, i dont think the clutch plate is worn or at least what caused the problem to begin with, i've been pointed towards the throwout bearing but i dont know enough about clutches yet to say any advice?

·
Registered
312 Posts
How many miles are there on the clutch? When the clutch goes, it goes. Sounds like a worn out clutch to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not very sure, i got the truck at 196000 miles and ive gotten to 212000 so far, i can also hear a noise like a bearing going bad kind of, are there any other possibilities before i dive into taking the transmission off? Ive been told to look into throwout bearing or to adjust the clutch in some way.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Usually slipping clutch is worn out clutch and at this mi)rage I'd guess it's about time for it to go, unless you know for sure that it's been replaced??
Whether you can adjust the clutch or not, your best bet is to consult the owners manual, or Google how to adjust clutch pedal on your truck year and model.
If it was a throw out bearing that got stuck and not disengaging/engaging the clutch fully, you'd feel a change in the pedal resistance, you've had your truck for a while so I'm sure you'd have noticed if something changed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't noticed any changes in clutch resistance, and the clutch system is hydraulic so i havent found anyway to adjust that excluding play in the pedal and theres not much if any, so would best bet be a new clutch kit?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I haven't noticed any changes in clutch resistance, and the clutch system is hydraulic so i havent found anyway to adjust that excluding play in the pedal and theres not much if any, so would best bet be a new clutch kit?
Look buddy, I don't want to bring a bad news but to even get to a throwout bearing will require you to pull the transmission and if you're going into all there problems you may as well replace a clutch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts