DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks;
'16 PW 64K miles. I have towed once with it, a 15 hundred pound boat about 40 miles. NOT towing when this happened.

Had a CEL come on steady (not blinking) while I was driving down the highway a few days ago. Saw nothing wrong under the hood; kept an eye on the engine temp and oil pressure till I could get it to the dealer this morning. The CEL went out last night on the way home.

Had them do the shift interlock and can bus recalls, also had an oil change with Mobile One and a K&N oil filter and a tire rotation.
They told me that it was showing "Code P0740 TCC out of range." They said torque converter slip is excessive and out of spec. They are ordering me a torque converter. They will call when it arrives and it will take 3-4 days to fix it. It will be covered under warranty.

Does this code sound right? And why would the converter go bad? I drive a lot, but I don't abuse it.

Just does not make sense to me. BTW, I've owned maybe 40-50 vehicles in my time and worked in an automotive machine shop for 10 years as well as worked on cars for many years. I 've never seen a converter go bad with "normal" use and proper care..........

George

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
A regular 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi and 4.10 gears is rated to tow 15,630 lbs.

A Power Wagon has a unique suspension and different axles geared towards off roading more than load bearing and is only rated to tow 10,030.

Not saying it should give you transmission problems because the driveline is the same, but towing ~150% of your towing capacity (GCWR-curb weight) is not normal use.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2016_ram_2500_towing_charts.pdf

·
Registered
937 Posts
Thunderhorse, he towed a 1500 lb boat once, that is only 15% of capacity.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Whoops, I read thousand...:str:
IDK then, maybe just a one off problem

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Not normal but stuff happens. Good thing it was under warranty. I would get it repaired and don’t worry about it again. There is nothing you did.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
....An update

So, they did the converter......a couple weeks later the CEL came on again. Took it in for them to check; they said it was the same code again. They "cleared the computer memory"....yea, I know; I looked at him cross ways also......
It came back on the next day.
On the way to the shop, I got rear-ended....HARD! That poor Denali....nothing left of it. I drove my PW home....
After almost a month in the body shop,and a 10K bill to the guys insurance company, I get my truck back with the CEL off. Turns out the body shop cleared it.
A couple weeks later it comes BACK on....
Took it in last week for an oil change, tire rotation and diagnose the CEL.

NOW the story is :it's either the converter again, or the transmission; we need more time to diagnose it." So I take it home..........
The very next morning, the battery is stone cold dead. I take it out and have it load tested. it was fine a week ago, now its down to 220 CCA......
replaced battery, now it is ok.............
oh BTW, the drag link recall showed up the other day. I think we are at 8 or 9 recalls on this truck now..........................
Darn good thing I love this truck....................

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I don't understand why FCA calls everything a RECALL

Recalls are for Safety issues

Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) are recommended steps and procedures for repairing vehicles. A TSB is issued by an automaker when there is a growing trend with an unanticipated problems, but does not warrant a recall.

Rapid Response Transmittal (RRTs):
A Rapid Response Transmittal is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) but is of a higher priority or importance than that of a standard TSB.
This also is intended for dealers and auto mechanics. A normal TSB may or may not be implemented in the course of a vehicle repair as it can and often is done at the discretion of the dealer.

Customer Service Notification (CSNs):
Customer Satisfaction Notifications are preventive in nature and involve warranty or customer satisfaction issues such as non-safety repairs. FCA US will correct the problem, at no charge, even if the vehicle is out of warranty and you are not the original owner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts