DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Informational Post

My Truck - 2013 Ram Crew Cab Bighorn 5.7 Hemi 4X4.

Recently, the gas cap warning light lit. Checked the cap and all seemed fine. A week later the CEL appeared and I pulled the codes above.

P0304 (Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected) - I bought the truck with 32,000 miles and at the time thought all new vehicles came with 100k mile spark plugs. Shame on me. I changed the plugs and this code hasn't come back. :smileup:

P0455, P0456, P0457 (Evaporative Emission Control System)- I bought a new gas cap and that did not fix the issue. The new spark plugs didn't either. I have an extended CarMax service plan, so I took the truck to a local approved shop (Precision Tune - Serverna Park, MD). Supposedly, the EGR?? valve on the gas tank is faulty and will be replaced under my plan. I get the truck back tomorrow and will let you know if all fixed.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
My dealership was chasing around the P0456 on my truck the last few months. They replaced the purge flow solenoid and canister, but the CEL came back on with the same code about 500 miles later. They then replaced the FTP (fuel tank pressure sensor), said it had a very small evaporative leak and it took them a week or so to isolate it. My truck has been fine so far. No more CEL, but I don't drive it that often.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TruBlu, it was noisy when I talked to the shop before, but after reading your post I now think it was the FTP sensor that is being replaced. An EGR just didn't make sense on a fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
As the EVAP System hoses get older, say around 10 years old, they begin cracking near the hose clamps
Those little cracks soon turn into a small split & the quickest way to find them is by going to a garage that has a Smoke Machine.
Smoke seeps out of all the cracks from the fuel filler neck to the evap purge solenoid valve up near the Throttle Body

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, GTyankee. I remember the shop saying something about smoke coming out of whatever they're replacing so they must have used the smoke machine. That makes me feel better that they're doing their due diligence.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the truck back and all is good. Using the smoke test they found the fuel pump seal leaking. They had to remove the tank to replace it. Cost $1,300 per the invoice but my extended service plan paid 100%. The plan just paid for itself.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Good to hear you got it all figured out

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Good ole smoke machine to the rescue

Glad that you got it fixed & for just the price of the extended warranty

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
This is great news, glad to hear you're back in working order and that the extended service plan came to the financial rescue. I purchased the lifetime maxcare warranty for my 2017. Reading posts like this certainly help reassure the value of that plan. :smileup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update. A few weeks after the fix above the CEL came back on. I pulled the code and it was P0456 (Evaporative System Leak). I took it back to the shop and it ended up being a small animal chewing through an evap hose. Unfortunately, not covered in the extended warranty. It is on my auto policy, but my deductible is too high.

What my insurance agent told me is that newer wire and hoses now are made with soy and that is attracting the small animals. Anyone heard of this?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
What my insurance agent told me is that newer wire and hoses now are made with soy and that is attracting the small animals. Anyone heard of this?
Yes, it has been around for several years, primarily in foreign brand vehicles. The goal is to have biodegradeable insulation but that's also kind of a bad thing

·
Registered
1 Posts
As the EVAP System hoses get older, say around 10 years old, they begin cracking near the hose clamps
Those little cracks soon turn into a small split & the quickest way to find them is by going to a garage that has a Smoke Machine.
Smoke seeps out of all the cracks from the fuel filler neck to the evap purge solenoid valve up near the Throttle Body
I took my 2009 Ram 1500 in for a fuel tank bracket recall, dealer had to drop the fuel tank to install the fix. Ever since getting it back I have had p0456 and p0457 codes. Year later I took it in to have it diagnosed ($160) and they found a broken harness at the ESIN module. Test showed the system was leak free. They wanted $600 to replace the harness, ESIN and gas cap, I had installed 2 new gas caps trying to fix the problem. I took it back as is and found the broken harness was obviously from dropping the fuel tank without disconnecting the connector. Connector only has 2 wires, I stripped and connected the harness wires together, no more error codes. I will replace the ESIN $35 when the weather clears. It is frustrating when service screws something up and does not take ownership.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I took my 2009 Ram 1500 in for a fuel tank bracket recall, dealer had to drop the fuel tank to install the fix. Ever since getting it back I have had p0456 and p0457 codes. Year later I took it in to have it diagnosed ($160) and they found a broken harness at the ESIN module. Test showed the system was leak free. They wanted $600 to replace the harness, ESIN and gas cap, I had installed 2 new gas caps trying to fix the problem. I took it back as is and found the broken harness was obviously from dropping the fuel tank without disconnecting the connector. Connector only has 2 wires, I stripped and connected the harness wires together, no more error codes. I will replace the ESIN $35 when the weather clears. It is frustrating when service screws something up and does not take ownership.
You should have gone back sooner; all dealer parts and labor are warrantied for 12 months or 12,000 miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts