DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the guys who've had previous gen rams, does the a/c in the 2019 work better? My 08 and 15 both didn't quite cool as cold as I would like.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,560 Posts
I had a 2017 Bighorn for about a year & a half. I took it to that dealer to have the A/C checked shortly after buying it. The dealer said everything checked out & the temps were within normal operating range. After it was totaled back in January 2019, I purchased a 2019 Bighorn. IMHO, it takes my 2019 a little longer to cool, but it does the job. I haven't gotten cold air out of either one of them.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback! For the life of me, I don't understand why its so hard for ram to make their ac cold.

·
Registered
43 Posts
New 2019 Laramie. Cools great. Important to remember after sitting in the sun, open the rear slide window and the two back windows for a minute or two with the ac running to push the hot air out. The cool seats are “to die for”. Best option every........

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a 2017 Bighorn for about a year & a half. I took it to that dealer to have the A/C checked shortly after buying it. The dealer said everything checked out & the temps were within normal operating range. After it was totaled back in January 2019, I purchased a 2019 Bighorn. IMHO, it takes my 2019 a little longer to cool, but it does the job. I haven't gotten cold air out of either one of them.
My 2019 Bighorn had the same problem. Took about 30mins to start cooling. Dealer replaced the "H" valve. they also said the factory had put in the wrong freon which screwed up their evacuator system. when I finally got my truck back the A/C works good.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,560 Posts
The cool seats are “to die for”. Best option every........
Not to derail this subject, but when I bought my 2019 back in February, I did not realize the trim levels had been changed. It was a trim level one, just like my 2017, but some things were not the same. My wife truly misses the heated seats I had in my 2017.

·
Registered
63 Posts
For the guys who've had previous gen rams, does the a/c in the 2019 work better? My 08 and 15 both didn't quite cool as cold as I would like.
MY "Silver" 15 Laramie was excellent and would freeze me out of the truck. 19 is no where near as cold.... its also "black" and has the full length sunroof that probably doesn't help.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It is a new system they started to introduce in 2014 but not all Rams. I have a 16 3500 with the old system and I can hang meat that it can get that cold. But I have two friends that have this new 1234yf system. One says his works fine and the other has had it in the shop twice and still not happy. Current prices for this new refrigerant are around $120 a pound and of course the dealers are the only ones that have it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not so fast guys; the problem with the AC is an easy fix. A strange one to newbies, but something truckers have been doing for over 50 years. The problem is Ram engineers removed a valve from the system that keeps hot water from mixing too hot in the "mixer system." Because of that hot water from the coolant gets into the cold air system making things a little warmer than what is actually available. By sectioning off the coolant from the mixing area, you get super cold freezing air. This is done by installing a $5 valve in-between the heater hose and heater core.

I know we are now approaching winter and it's not a hot topic now (pun intended), but it will come back up as soon as June gets here. Anyway, I'm going to post the fix here after my first post (admin rules), if you want SUPER COLD FREEZING air, even in 110 degree heat, perform this install and you will be very happy. I installed the valve in my Limited 2020 and it works amazingly.

Like I said, I can't post the link here because it's my first post, so I'll be back with the link soon. (or you can go to 5th gen ram Forum and type in "AC Hack" into the search area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All well and good, but nobody should have to "hack" a brand new truck
Yeah, I don't think anyone would argue that; I'm just trying to post information to help someone. I guarantee next summer a crapload of guys with 2019 and 20's will be complaining about how hot their AC is and they will try the AC Hack. I did, because I don't want any dealership idiots tearing into my dash (because that's where the problem is, behind the dash where the mixing door is) or anywhere else on my truck and then returning it to me without it working properly. This is a manufacture screw-up and sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. Oh, and if you think FCA is going to come out with a fix, be ready to wait forever. Reason being, for this to become a real issue, the AC has to show it can't keep up with 50% of what the ambient temp is outside. Meaning, if it's 100 degrees out, the AC only has to blow 50 degree air at the vents with the truck running down the freeway (that's their spec). With the current issue, the AC systems can do that, but that is not good enough as an owner. Getting in a hot truck and blowing 50 degree air is lame as hell. It takes like 45 minutes to cool the cab and even then it's barely keeping up.

Anyway, next summer give it a shot if you want ice cold AC. Also, If you read the instructions you'll see this is 100% reversible and not traceable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I decided I wasn't going to let the dealer rip my dash out for no reason and I came across this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092YVQS7K or, you can find it by searching for "Muzzys A/C Hack Kit". For 20 bucks you really can't go wrong! I live in AZ and we're almost up to 100 degrees here already and this made a world of difference! I no longer want to get rid of my truck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts