DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2000 Dodge Ram V8 5.2L 2WD thinking of adding a Cold Air Intake, Along with the Air Scoop? Does anyone have any types they think are best for dodges? i was thinking about going with the Volant

Air Scoop: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2000/dodge/ram_1500/air_intake/air_intake_scoop.html

Cold Air Intake(the Volant is at the bottom): http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2000/dodge/ram_1500/air_intake/cold_air_intake.html

Basically im just looking for ways to make my truck better and i have been told this could help looking for all different anwsers thank you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I made my own cold air intake from a dakota air hat & some ACM which is aluminum with plastic insulation sandwiched in between it has great insulation properties to keep the air cool coming in I have about $35.00 in the intake.

I use to get about 14.1 mpg
Now I get 17.1 mpg avg.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just installed a spectre cold air intake I bought off ebay for under $80 delivered. Buyer has a few more on there, his name is loffs.

I'm happy with the throttle response, and you can really hear the difference on the road. I'm going to also modify the box to add airflow from the grill using some flexible gutter spout.

Downside is a whistle noise at certain RPM's, which I read is somewhat normal. And, my engine will have to learn the new airflow, my trans seems to want to shift earlier now when i have the gas mashed. But I'll worry about that after my engine rebuild, exhaust work, and 4.56 gears in, which I'll be doing next week or 2.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
A CAI will definitely help. But I don't know that the scoop will help much. As long as you pick one that gets it's source from outside air, it's all good.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I made my own cold air intake from a dakota air hat & some ACM which is aluminum with plastic insulation sandwiched in between it has great insulation properties to keep the air cool coming in I have about $35.00 in the intake.

I use to get about 14.1 mpg
Now I get 17.1 mpg avg.
nice fab work, by the way

1 - 6 of 6 Posts