DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been contemplating in installing a CIA in my 2010 ram, I hear so much of this mod, increasing hp, torque and some mpg. In the same token I see a lot of them for sale in the ram forums. Some of the comments i read is that they are too noisy and did not produce what it was expected. If somebody has had good results, in relation to the investment, please send me some info, thanks,:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I have a new Vararam Air Grabber intake, and it has been awesome the short time I have had it. They just started selling, and they offered a group buy for foum members. There are a ton of good options out there, but remember that everyone wants something different! Check out the performance section for all kinds of threads!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
It's more about managing your own expectations. Don't expect to see a lot of HP gains (especially without any of the other 'holy trinity' [CAI, Exhaust, Programmer]). Don't expect to see a big increase in MPG (maybe 1-2 MPG and that's IF you can keep you foot out of it). Now, why, you ask, would I have trouble keeping my foot out of it if I'm not getting more HP? They do add a nice WOT growl and (with a free-flowing exhaust) you may notice a bit quicker throttle response. Most CAI's replace the stock rough intake tube (better/smoother/laminar flow into the throttle body) which is another plus as well.

I have a Volant but only because I could not fit the PowerCore Dry Filter into the stock air box. The filter comes with a 100k mile warranty and that, along with the growl, was enough to warrant the expense (~$250) for me.

·
Registered
286 Posts
In my experience and I've put CAI's on all of my vehicles for the last 15 years with some vehicles getting several different CAI. I've noticed a touch better throttle response, negligible mpg gains/loss. The "noisy" ones are typically the open air box style such as the k&n, Brute Force, Air Raid to name a few while the more quieter ones are closed box styles such as Volant, which is my personal favorite, and I've installed them all. The Volant and AFE seem to get the best reviews on this forum from what I've read. Good luck and let us all know what you go with!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Just put a k&n in mine i get much better throttle response its a tad noisy like a growl when you get on it but i love that sound.As far as some saying your get a whistle well i have yet to hear that and like i said its not loud till you get on it then it just sounds like you wake up the exhaust, so on top of my magnaflow i love the sound. Varam just put one on market heard good and bad things but i never buy brand new things just released i let them work out the kinks first.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I too recently put the new Vararam on my truck, i don't notice any additional noise at all, def. getting better throttle response. As for MPG's, i added the CAI, Exhaust and programmer all about the same time and don't notice any huge gains... Good luck with your purchase, whatever you decide

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have a K&N and I love it. I love the sound it makes. I have noticed a slight improvement in power and fuel mileage. There will be negligible difference in performance between the quality brands. Just pick what appeals to you. I have always used K&N products and been very happy which is why I picked K&N..

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
alot of good info posted above bud and that should sum it up for you alot of people like the growl the intake gives and alot of people done me personally i love it when i can hear it lol but its kind of hard to hear over the exhaust but i say pull the trigger bud and scoop one up for the ol girl and let her breath a lil better:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys

It's more about managing your own expectations. Don't expect to see a lot of HP gains (especially without any of the other 'holy trinity' [CAI, Exhaust, Programmer]). Don't expect to see a big increase in MPG (maybe 1-2 MPG and that's IF you can keep you foot out of it). Now, why, you ask, would I have trouble keeping my foot out of it if I'm not getting more HP? They do add a nice WOT growl and (with a free-flowing exhaust) you may notice a bit quicker throttle response. Most CAI's replace the stock rough intake tube (better/smoother/laminar flow into the throttle body) which is another plus as well.

I have a Volant but only because I could not fit the PowerCore Dry Filter into the stock air box. The filter comes with a 100k mile warranty and that, along with the growl, was enough to warrant the expense (~$250) for me.
In my experience and I've put CAI's on all of my vehicles for the last 15 years with some vehicles getting several different CAI. I've noticed a touch better throttle response, negligible mpg gains/loss. The "noisy" ones are typically the open air box style such as the k&n, Brute Force, Air Raid to name a few while the more quieter ones are closed box styles such as Volant, which is my personal favorite, and I've installed them all. The Volant and AFE seem to get the best reviews on this forum from what I've read. Good luck and let us all know what you go with!
Just put a k&n in mine i get much better throttle response its a tad noisy like a growl when you get on it but i love that sound.As far as some saying your get a whistle well i have yet to hear that and like i said its not loud till you get on it then it just sounds like you wake up the exhaust, so on top of my magnaflow i love the sound. Varam just put one on market heard good and bad things but i never buy brand new things just released i let them work out the kinks first.
I too recently put the new Vararam on my truck, i don't notice any additional noise at all, def. getting better throttle response. As for MPG's, i added the CAI, Exhaust and programmer all about the same time and don't notice any huge gains... Good luck with your purchase, whatever you decide
I have a K&N and I love it. I love the sound it makes. I have noticed a slight improvement in power and fuel mileage. There will be negligible difference in performance between the quality brands. Just pick what appeals to you. I have always used K&N products and been very happy which is why I picked K&N..
I appreciate all the info you guys put out on my question. I forgot all about my ride, just got busy with customers wanting cabinets and other furniture made. After deciphering all the info I think I am going with Air Grabber, just have to rat hole some of my earnings:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts