DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
You might also think about resale value. A truck with the 8-speed will likely be worth more down the road.
I'm not sure how concerned OP is with resale if he keeps his trucks for ~20 years, but you're right.

I just finished pre-delivery inspections on a pair of Hemi Rams where the only difference besides paint color was one having a 6 speed and the other having an 8 speed. My take is that if most of your driving is on the highway, it really isn't going to make much difference in overall fuel economy since the OD ratios are the same. In city driving, I would give the advantage to the 8 speed. That being said, how many of you bought a Hemi Ram just for fuel economy?
You will still see an improvement in highway mileage with the 8 over the 6 despite having the same top gear. The 8 is much more efficient.

8-Speed ratios:

R (RWD) 2.65:1
R (AWD) 3.06:1
Where did you get these? The 8 speed's reverse ratio is 3.30:1, there are no AWD Rams, and there is no different gearing in the trans for 4wd vs 2wd. If you get an 8 speed, your reverse gear is 3.3:1, even if you get the V6.

OP, the 8 speed is also stronger, with a max torque rating of 516lb-ft vs 410lb-ft with the 6 speed. They could actually put the 8HP70 that goes behind the 5.7 Hemi in the 1500s behind the 6.4 Hemi in the HDs

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Fuel economy ratings for the 2015 Hemi Ram 1500 with the 65RFE are 13 mpg city, 19 mpg highway, with a 17 mpg average. Fuel economy ratings for the 8HP70 are 15 mpg city, 21 mpg highway, with a 19 mpg average.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey all,

Thanks again for your replies...lots of good info to consider regarding the 6- vs 8-speed transmissions.

I'll give it careful consideration with regard to my intended use and anticipated length of ownership.

Thunderhorse - I'm not sure if the max torque rating for the 8-sp of 516lb-ft vs 410lb-ft for the 6-speed is relevant for my intended use. I probably would not tow more than a 5-6K lb trailer, and not likely more than a few times during the life of this truck. I won't be pullin' stumps.

RamTech - It's what I expected...the 2 mpg advantage with the 8-sp is not a very compelling reason to justify a $2,300 cost increase for the 8-sp. The pay-back would likely be quite a ways off for me.

All - Don't get me wrong. I'm all about science and improved technology. In general, the 8-sp is likely the better tranny, but for my intended use, frequency of use, and anticipated long-term ownership, the cost/benefit is marginal for me.

Good thread...I'll keep y'all posted on my decision

Thanks again
Regards

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
Thunderhorse - I'm not sure if the max torque rating for the 8-sp of 516lb-ft vs 410lb-ft for the 6-speed is relevant for my intended use. I probably would not tow more than a 5-6K lb trailer, and not likely more than a few times during the life of this truck. I won't be pullin' stumps.

RamTech - It's what I expected...the 2 mpg advantage with the 8-sp is not a very compelling reason to justify a $2,300 cost increase for the 8-sp. The pay-back would likely be quite a ways off for me.

All - Don't get me wrong. I'm all about science and improved technology. In general, the 8-sp is likely the better tranny, but for my intended use, frequency of use, and anticipated long-term ownership, the cost/benefit is marginal for me.
I didn't really think the extra capacity would be that important to you, I just wanted to demonstrate that it is a stronger transmission.

I believe the MPG numbers RamTech gave were for 4x4s, my sticker highway mileage is 21, but from what I remember its 22 for 4wds FWIW.

Where did you get the $2300 figure albertg1? Last I checked it was only a $500 option.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
"Weak Spot" with 6-Speed Trans and 5.7 Hemi??

Thunderhorse - There's an $1,840 credit if you order the 6-speed. $1840 + 500 = $2,340 more for the 8-speed vs the same truck with a 6-speed (in my case a 1500 Tradesman, RCLB, 4x4, 5.7 Hemi). The 5.7 Hemi and 6-speed is Quick Order Package 25B for 1500 Tradesman models. If it was a $500 option, it would be a no-brainer for me. In that case, I would do the 8-speed with the 3.92 LSD rear, instead of the 6-speed with the 3.55 LSD rear.

HammerHead - What do you mean by "weak spot"?. I have a '97 Silverado K1500, 4-speed auto now. There's no weak spots in my current ride that concern me...at it's a 4-speed. Please explain what 'weak spot' I would have with the 5.7 V8, 6-speed and 3.55 rear in a 4x4 RCLB? I'm not buying this truck for 1/4-mile runs...

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
Ah, I didn't realize you were counting incentives:doh:

I believe what HammerHead was referring to is more commonly known as the "dead spot" between 2nd and 3rd gear (I think that's where it is). It means when cruising at certain speeds for example, when you execute a pass then you have to kick the pedal pretty far down for it to downshift and then it will run back through the gears. I've felt it in my dad's 2009 with the same transmission, but called the 5 speed back then. It never really bothered me, but I probably have a more conservative driving style than the preponderance of members here. The best way to see for yourself it to just test drive them both, which it seems you are already going to do (no reason not to, test drives are free), and see if you notice it to a significant degree. Yes the 8 speed is a better transmission, but whether or not its $2340 better is subjective and up to you to decide.

That transmission was designed about 15 years ago with 6 gears, but 2 of them are second gears: one for upshifting, and the other as a kick down gear. They changed some things with it for 2012 that did not include the gear ratios, and started calling it a 6 speed instead of a 5 speed as it was previously called. Its a solid, reliable transmission, but its not a true 6 speed.

Reactions: Ric McC.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I honestly see nothing wrong with the 6 speed, most people also talk about how durable they are. I personally have the 8 speed, but gas mileage is a huge thing for me as I tend do drive a lot for work, when gas gets back to 4 a gallon and it will, I'll be happy I have the 8 speed as every little but adds up. But if gas mileage isn't the big concern for you I say get whatever one fits your needs.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a 13 with the 6 speed. I understand the cost factor as well but if I could go back I would get the 8 speed. Have the dealer calculate monthly payments on both and see how much of a difference it really is.
I have the 3.92 gears also and the 3.21 with 8 speed has much better performance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the 6 speed in mine and so far it works great. I am getting about 19 mpg average with the 6.4l. I have not towed anything yet though.

For me it was keeping the cost down. I wanted a new truck and I had a dollar amount for a payment so I got what I could afford. I plan on keeping it for a long time so I am not worried about the tradein value nor am I worried about the mpg. If I was worried about the mpg I would have looked at the diesel in the 1500.

My suggestion is get what you can afford and don't worry about the resale value. When that time comes a buyer will be more worried about overall condition, maintenance and miles.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I would do the 8-speed with the 3.92 LSD rear, instead of the 6-speed with the 3.55 LSD rear.
This is the only choice when buying a Ram truck :gy:

·
Registered
168 Posts
IDK, I know some people claim to get close to the rated mileage with the 6 speed but I have it with 3.55s and I can't even get close. On the other hand it seems that the 8 speed crowd meets or exceeds ratings with ease.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I have the 6 speed in mine and so far it works great. I am getting about 19 mpg average with the 6.4l. I have not towed anything yet though.

For me it was keeping the cost down. I wanted a new truck and I had a dollar amount for a payment so I got what I could afford. I plan on keeping it for a long time so I am not worried about the tradein value nor am I worried about the mpg. If I was worried about the mpg I would have looked at the diesel in the 1500.

My suggestion is get what you can afford and don't worry about the resale value. When that time comes a buyer will be more worried about overall condition, maintenance and miles.
Your truck was not available with the 8 speed. Totally different ball game.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Thunderhorse - There's an $1,840 credit if you order the 6-speed. $1840 + 500 = $2,340 more for the 8-speed vs the same truck with a 6-speed (in my case a 1500 Tradesman, RCLB, 4x4, 5.7 Hemi). The 5.7 Hemi and 6-speed is Quick Order Package 25B for 1500 Tradesman models. If it was a $500 option, it would be a no-brainer for me. In that case, I would do the 8-speed with the 3.92 LSD rear, instead of the 6-speed with the 3.55 LSD rear.

HammerHead - What do you mean by "weak spot"?. I have a '97 Silverado K1500, 4-speed auto now. There's no weak spots in my current ride that concern me...at it's a 4-speed. Please explain what 'weak spot' I would have with the 5.7 V8, 6-speed and 3.55 rear in a 4x4 RCLB? I'm not buying this truck for 1/4-mile runs...
The week spot is between 30-50MPH; if you punch it the tranny will not drop down and grab a lower gear. It just bongs down slowly increasing in speed:smiledown:
Anything outside that MPH window you punch it and it will hit like a hammer. BUT it has that big week spot. The first time I experienced it I was cruising about 40MPH and a Toyota Camry pulled up next to me and wanted to go. I gave him the thumbs up and punched it. Long story short I got my pants dropped and fingernails painted. :158: I was truly embarrassed. If we had more road I think I could have done better but I didn't and got spanked by a 4 banger :doh:

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
Have you driven the 8speed? If you havent, do it and you'll want it
+1

Test drives are free; it won't hurt anything even if you end up getting a 6 speed. Its never a bad thing to have experience with a greater variety of options.:wavey:

·
Registered
218 Posts

Good points. But just to clarify...the 6 speed in the Ram 2500 is not the same 6 speed that goes into the 1500.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts