DODGE RAM FORUM banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
There is a reason why that 6 speed is so much cheaper than the 8 speed tranny. If towing with this vehicle, I would think the smoother shifting, 8 speed, would be the more desirable.

I could be wrong, and if so, please chirp in in that, Guys.

I know my 8 speed does seem Clunky, when downshifting, at times. Thankfully it is not always and getting more rare as I get more miles on the truck 6K+ now.

Only times I really notice it is when crawling, residential streets, watching out for kids.
My Greatest Fear, so I tend to go really, really, slow. Only then do I notice the downshift seems clunky. Just occasionally and , as said, it is getting less and less.

No matter which way you do decide, I hope you have many years of happy ownership!
Dave

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hammerhead - OP here. Thanks for the info regarding the 'weak spot' with the 6-speed trans. If this is true with all the 2015 5.7 Hemi, 6-speed, 3.55 rear 1500 trucks, I wonder if the 6-speed tranny shift points can be re-programmed (Ram or aftermarket) for better performance and crisp downshifting on-demand in that 30-50 mph zone? Anyone know?

Thanks to others too for your feedback.

I have some test drives to do before I decide... hope I can test drive the truck without a salesman going along for the ride. I'll want to run it through the gears at highway speeds and local roads.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Hammerhead - OP here. Thanks for the info regarding the 'weak spot' with the 6-speed trans. If this is true with all the 2015 5.7 Hemi, 6-speed, 3.55 rear 1500 trucks, I wonder if the 6-speed tranny shift points can be re-programmed (Ram or aftermarket) for better performance and crisp downshifting on-demand in that 30-50 mph zone? Anyone know?

Thanks to others too for your feedback.

I have some test drives to do before I decide... hope I can test drive the truck without a salesman going along for the ride. I'll want to run it through the gears at highway speeds and local roads.
I got a custom motor and tranny tune from Jay and he made it run Amazing but still has that week spot. The week spot is smaller but still there. I'll ask Jay about it and report back. But to be honest I'm not disappointed with my 6 speed anymore after the work Jay did on it; stretching out the gears to 6100RPM's it pulls hard. Running high 4's and low 5's 0-60 and all my 1/4 mile runs are under 14 seconds. But, the tuner voids your warranty if the dealership finds out about it. Not sure if you want to take that chance.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just bought a 14 With the 8 speed and Pentastar... Only thing I noticed pulling a enclosed twin axle 6x12 Uhaul trailer was in inclines it hunts gears a bit if you have it in Cruise control but coming back I turned the cruise of and it did good... Sure I got slower going uphill but it didn't hunt gears as much...
I am not going to use it for mainly towing... It's a passenger vehicle that tows 3-5 times a year so overall the 26 MPG highway is freaking awesome..
I drank the DIAL koolaid...

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Just bought a 14 With the 8 speed and Pentastar... Only thing I noticed pulling a enclosed twin axle 6x12 Uhaul trailer was in inclines it hunts gears a bit if you have it in Cruise control but coming back I turned the cruise of and it did good... Sure I got slower going uphill but it didn't hunt gears as much...
I am not going to use it for mainly towing... It's a passenger vehicle that tows 3-5 times a year so overall the 26 MPG highway is freaking awesome..
I drank the DIAL koolaid...
Your truck was hunting more gears because of the v6. The hemi makes a difference.

Reactions: Ric McC.

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Your truck was hunting more gears because of the v6. The hemi makes a difference.
So if you have a Hemi it hunts less gears, I thought it was the trait of the tranny, not the Motor...I am still satisfied because it pulled good... Most of the towing I will be doing will be about 1800 lbs so it will be lighter Thant the boxy U haul enclosed 6x12 I was pulling....I love my Big Horny 1500

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
So if you have a Hemi it hunts less gears, I thought it was the trait of the tranny, not the Motor...I am still satisfied because it pulled good... Most of the towing I will be doing will be about 1800 lbs so it will be lighter Thant the boxy U haul enclosed 6x12 I was pulling....I love my Big Horny 1500
Ya I'm not knocking your v6. I have it in my Durango. The hemi has around a 100 more hp and torque. So that will make a difference with trucks with the same 8 speed and gears.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ya I'm not knocking your v6. I have it in my Durango. The hemi has around a 100 more hp and torque. So that will make a difference with trucks with the same 8 speed and gears.
I knew about the extra hp but was curious if it shifts the same, you know like going uphill, does the Hemi drop a gear or 2 like the v6, I mean as quick or is it gonna stay in 8 speed longer than the v6...that isn't what I dont understand. Not sure if the tranny shifts quicker or slower depending on the motor?

·
Registered
519 Posts
keep in mind guys it's a different trans behind the hemi.

the v6 doesn't have the 8HP70

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
keep in mind guys it's a different trans behind the hemi.

the v6 doesn't have the 8HP70
Correct, the v6 gets the 8HP45 or 845RFE- but they are still all geared the same. The differentiating factor is engine power given that the trucks weigh about the same.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I knew about the extra hp but was curious if it shifts the same, you know like going uphill, does the Hemi drop a gear or 2 like the v6, I mean as quick or is it gonna stay in 8 speed longer than the v6...that isn't what I dont understand. Not sure if the tranny shifts quicker or slower depending on the motor?
The Hemi will stay in top gear longer because it has a lot more torque and can easily pull the higher gear. The calibration of the transmissions is different to better match the characteristics of the engines. If the V6 stayed locked up in top gear you would start bogging down and losing speed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Hemi will stay in top gear longer because it has a lot more torque and can easily pull the higher gear. The calibration of the transmissions is different to better match the characteristics of the engines. If the V6 stayed locked up in top gear you would start bogging down and losing speed.
Ok so the tranny is calibrated differently...that makes sense...like it knows that there is still power so it doesn't have to downshift...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Hammerhead - Thanks for the info...I'll stay tuned for your update from Jay. Thanks
Heard back from Jay and spot is to protect the tranny, I don't know how or why but he's a professional and I trust him. It's there for safety as not to damage the tranny. Apples to apples the 8 speed is far better bottom line, But if you have the 6 speed or want the 6 speed Jay will maximize its performance.
Now, with the 6 speed you have the option to shift into a lower gear manually to compensate for the week spot. But I think most people will tell you that's a bad idea. Stresses the tranny.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Either one will get ya there.

I put 72k on a 5 speed w/o any problems whatsoever. Traded it in on a 14 w/8 speed.

I don't tune/race, or specialize in 'hold my beer and watch THIS!' maneuvers,,, Like-minded drivers should see similar results! LOL!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all -

I saw a 2015 RAM 1500 Tradesman, 4x4, V8, 6-speed today at a dealer that has the traditional steering column shift lever vs. the dash-mounted electronic dial shift knob.

1) Is the steering column shift lever a mechanical linkage to the tranny, or is it electronic like the dial shift knob?

2) Were the trucks with the steering column shift lever built earlier than the current dial shift knob models?

3) Is the column shift lever more desirable for any reason??

Thanks...
Regards
I'm in Baltimore im looking for a cummins 4x4 , what im asking is where can i find one that has low mileage, with a column shifter not really liking the turn dial , I need something that'll be able to handle these city streets as well as not getting stuck while i have the bed of the truck filled with hvac parts and ductwork, if not the diesel what would you recommend ? Since ill be running up alot of miles on the truck itself, but i need it to last well over 300,000miles

41 - 58 of 58 Posts