DODGE RAM FORUM banner
181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
My wife has driven my truck twice since I got it in February. She has had issues neither time with operating the dial shifter :)

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,248 Posts
Oh man, this thread again :LOL: Haven't seen it dug up in a while.

Column shifter all the way. :eek:ld:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Well I just bought a new to me Ram, I never have a center passenger in front anyway so I looked till I found one with a full console and a floor shifter, one of the things I had on my list of options to get.
Not sure I would like he dial either, I have a dial for the 4x4 but I wish it was a floor shifter too.

·
Registered
599 Posts
^^ Does not solve, nor answer my question. First off, I don't believe I should have to follow a secret handshake to get a number in my driver's information center that shows what gear my truck's in- my '15 Durango does it all the time, no special procedure required. Second, I don't want MDS turned off- I do see tangible mpg improvements from using the system.

Great for you that it works, but it's not the answer for me.
I felt the same way..I was very pleased to see my 17 Laramie always shows me what gear I'm in!

I don't see anything close to a 2 mpg difference. It's more like 0.2 mpg. I ran for a week with MDS enabled, then for a week with it disabled. 0.2 mpg was the difference. I do about 80% highway driving. But much of my commute is hilly and the MDS is turning on and off quite a bit. Maybe if my commute was on a flatter road I'd see more of a difference.

I can definitely hear and feel the difference with the stock exhaust.
I agree with this, I can feel it engage every time I slowly drive through my neighbor hood and it annoys me!

I CAN tell when it comes on HOWEVER I do like it. If I am driving it hard it doesn't get in my way at all and the mpg gain is nice.
:smiley_thumbs_up:

I mean I kinda figured that the 4 banger didn't have enough power for all those gears. The 200 with the Pentastar is not bad at all
It doesn't have enough power for all those gears? More gears are a great way to compensate for a lack of power...if done properly,The trade off is more shifting.

Oh man, this thread again :LOL: Haven't seen it dug up in a while.

Column shifter all the way. :eek:ld:
:LOL: :eek:ld: :smileup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
The hell with the dial i will straight up not buy anything past a 2012 i love the feel of a truck more "sportier" feel when driving slap shift trans so until ram takes it out and goes back to the T shifter wont happen here.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The hell with the dial i will straight up not buy anything past a 2012 i love the feel of a truck more "sportier" feel when driving slap shift trans so until ram takes it out and goes back to the T shifter wont happen here.
Well there's one. Now we only need 999,999 more people to say they won't buy anything with a dial to make Ram get rid of it. ;)
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Banned
516 Posts
1. Good job resurrecting a 2yr old dead thread lol
2. The 8HP70 will always be superior to the crap RFE in any automatic Ram 02-13; they can't go BACK to the previously used T shifter because the ZF trans is fully electronic, no cable going to it (if your Challenger is an auto, you should know this)
3. The rotary dial can be swapped for the electronic shifter in the cars, it's already been done; Google Hellraiser Black Widow truck or go to their Fb page; 4th gen 66RFE with column shift converted to an 8HP90 with rotary shifter then added a console modified to accept the car style e-shifter.
4. Speaking of your Challenger:

·
Registered
839 Posts
2. The 8HP70 will always be superior to the crap RFE in any automatic Ram 02-13; they can't go BACK to the previously used T shifter because the ZF trans is fully electronic, no cable going to it (if your Challenger is an auto, you should know this)
I was told by a mechanic while back that the 6 speed transmission in my 2012 is fully electronic......there is no "kickdown" cable anymore like the old days, and the column shifter is actually just an electronic "box" that is activated /adjusted by the column shifter stalk. The buttons on the shifter stalk that allow me to go up/down thru the forward gears "live" seem to validate that....or is there a cable that selects drive /reverse/ neutral/ park?

I have never thought to look for a cable while under the truck....

For what its worth, have had no trans issues yet in about 50k miles......

I did have some trans issues in my 03 Durango with the 360......traded it in post haste cause I knew that would be pricey....I know THAT had cables -- kickdown/throttle position AND gear selection....

I prefer mechanical linkages.....none of my older mechanical linkage cars or trucks have the obvious computer delay when stomping it etc......

Drive by wire....blech.

·
Banned
516 Posts
I was told by a mechanic while back that the 6 speed transmission in my 2012 is fully electronic......there is no "kickdown" cable anymore like the old days, and the column shifter is actually just an electronic "box" that is activated /adjusted by the column shifter stalk. The buttons on the shifter stalk that allow me to go up/down thru the forward gears "live" seem to validate that....or is there a cable that selects drive /reverse/ neutral/ park?

I have never thought to look for a cable while under the truck....

For what its worth, have had no trans issues yet in about 50k miles......

I did have some trans issues in my 03 Durango with the 360......traded it in post haste cause I knew that would be pricey....I know THAT had cables -- kickdown/throttle position AND gear selection....

I prefer mechanical linkages.....none of my older mechanical linkage cars or trucks have the obvious computer delay when stomping it etc......

Drive by wire....blech.
Not talking about kickdown cables, strictly take it out of park and put in drive or reverse shift cable. Every RFE has one, even if the truck is equipped with the ability to autostick (no different than the NAG1 in hemi cars, has a shifter cable but you can autostick and paddle shift it all day). It is fully electronic, however you still have to cable shift it to park, reverse, neutral or drive. You probably haven't had issues with your RFE because I'm willing to bet your truck is stock (or fairly stock) with torque management intact lol. Regardless, the RFE is a slow shifter and is well known for its horrible parasitic loss; it just sucks up power. I remember dyno figures on the early hemi trucks, stock 345hp at the crank and you'd end up with 260-270hp at the wheels.
The ZF transmissions are totally different, no cable whatsoever, strictly wiring, even to put in park. Better shifting, able to handle more power, etc. I'd already have one retrofitted if I had the money and absolute certainty it would work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
10 pages and no one has mentioned the single obvious advantage of the console shifter. A comfortable place to rest your hand. When I switch vehicles, I always have to retrain my right hand. Other than that, I don't mind the dial at all. The column shifter in my wife's 2500 now seems so retro.

·
Registered
60 Posts
10 pages and no one has mentioned the single obvious advantage of the console shifter. A comfortable place to rest your hand. When I switch vehicles, I always have to retrain my right hand. Other than that, I don't mind the dial at all. The column shifter in my wife's 2500 now seems so retro.
Your right hand is that hand that holds the beer :oops:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Resting your hand on any Shifter (is never a good idea) will add undue stress to the linkages....or is this an "Old Wives"tale

·
Registered
29 Posts
Resting your hand on any Shifter (is never a good idea) will add undue stress to the linkages....or is this an "Old Wives"tale
If my truck was that delicate, I'd buy a different one. I'm gonna go with the old wives theory. Modern transmissions are mostly electronic anyways. so there really is no linkage. The shifter is just a glorified switch.

·
Banned
516 Posts
Answered your own question

If my truck was that delicate, I'd buy a different one. I'm gonna go with the old wives theory. Modern transmissions are mostly electronic anyways. so there really is no linkage. The shifter is just a glorified switch.
Agree. Only the RFE shifter has a cable for changing gears. ZF's in any Mopar don't have that capability, so it's all electronic. Looks like a T handle, but no cable whatsoever, just wiring. The newer 300's some of them get the rotary dial like the trucks:

If I manage a ZF retrofit, I already have a console and floor shifter, so making this work won't be hard at all:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really like the dial shifter, especially when plowing; it's a quick, intuitive shift from reverse to drive and drive to reverse- I don't have to look to change it. I also like the cleaner look without the column shifter, but everyone's different.
dude if you have to look while you shift with a column shifter you shouldn't be allowed to plow lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, I've never driven dodge until I got my '13 express and now I want to look at trading up for a newer one. I don't like the dial gear shifter on the dash. I believe another thread stated that means you have the 8 speed transmission which is better that the 6 speed option. But I can't stand the dial. Is there anything aftermarket I can do to change the dial shifter to one on the column? I know it'll prolly have to be electronic like the dial instead of cable like the traditional column but I just can't stand the dial. Any options I just don't know about yet would be really helpful before I make a decision on what truck to buy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CJ I totally agree with you !
That knob bugs the boogers outta me ! The masculinity of having a shifter in the PALM of your hand is unbelievable. Can you imagine Vin Diesel shifting a knob in Fast and Furious ? NO BECAUSE THAT TAKES AWAY THE BALLS.
Getting used to it or not. Your still circumcising the masculinity .

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
dang- some people digging out the old stuff...

181 - 200 of 206 Posts