DODGE RAM FORUM banner
161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
I wasn't saying it would solve your problem, I was merely pointing out a way that you can see what gear you're in if it bothers you that much.

Yes, it works for me. I despise MDS. Makes the exhaust sound like crap, makes no appreciable difference from my calculations (less than 1 mpg), and I feel a slight vibration when it turns on. Disabling it takes less than 3 seconds to do the "secret handshake", and it's become second nature for me. Kind of like putting on my seat belt. I'm not sure there is an answer for you if you don't want to use the method I described. Maybe, if enough people complain about it, Ram will come out with some kind of flash update to display the gear you're in without disabling MDS.
I don't have a problem per se, I was simply pointing out something that I think is an oversight and would be nice to have. No need to get out of sorts, we have a slight disagreement on the benefits of MDS, and that's about all.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't have a problem per se, I was simply pointing out something that I think is an oversight and would be nice to have. No need to get out of sorts, we have a slight disagreement on the benefits of MDS, and that's about all.
It's all good, no one's out of sorts on this end. My apologies if I came off that way on my response.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It would be great if Ram come out with a current gear display software update, should be an easy fix since they already have it for the Durango.

My F-150's had it and I love that feature.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
The 8L90 was kind of like the 6.2L, difficult to find, and I don't think it was even available on most trucks until 2015 or 16 because it was restricted to high trims and availability was poor.

We will see how the 10 speed is; ZF went on record saying once you get over 8 or 9 gears you reach a point of diminishing returns, and the questionable reception of their 9 speed transaxle seems to support that. I think it may be "hunty" though there were plenty of people who said that about the 8HP70 in 2012 and it is not.

I have driven around on a couple tanks with MDS disabled and I get under 17. With it enabled I get about 18 average; the advantage is greater on the highway; if you aren't seeing a difference it is because you aren't letting it engage enough to make a difference. 2MPG is over 10 percent

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,464 Posts
The 8L90 was kind of like the 6.2L, difficult to find, and I don't think it was even available on most trucks until 2015 or 16 because it was restricted to high trims and availability was poor.

We will see how the 10 speed is; ZF went on record saying once you get over 8 or 9 gears you reach a point of diminishing returns, and the questionable reception of their 9 speed transaxle seems to support that. I think it may be "hunty" though there were plenty of people who said that about the 8HP70 in 2012 and it is not.

I have driven around on a couple tanks with MDS disabled and I get under 17. With it enabled I get about 18 average; the advantage is greater on the highway; if you aren't seeing a difference it is because you aren't letting it engage enough to make a difference. 2MPG is over 10 percent
I remember all the posts hating the 8 speed when it first came out. Some people hate change no matter the benefit of it. I read these posts about how bad the mds is I honestly cannot tell when it's on. But I see the benefits of it in gas mileage. These are awesome trucks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
l also like the MDS.....it saves me a little gas. Not that it really matter that much in a 60K truck but that is besides the point, I have it so I use it. Also, I don't think you can hear a difference in sound unless you have an aftermarket exhaust system.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
It is nice to get more range out of a tank. 2 MPG more over a 32 gallon tank is 64 more miles

·
Registered
335 Posts

Had a Renegade with the 9-speed/2.4L as a loaner While Hemily was having some body work done (tailgate clearance warranty), and that gearbox seemed totally lost. Wouldn't stay in gear on a level highway at 75, touch the throttle and it would drop 3-4 gears (an not quickly). Seemed like it was shifting non-stop, a real change from the 8HP70/HEMI and sitting in 8th on the highway despite hills/wind.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't see anything close to a 2 mpg difference. It's more like 0.2 mpg. I ran for a week with MDS enabled, then for a week with it disabled. 0.2 mpg was the difference. I do about 80% highway driving. But much of my commute is hilly and the MDS is turning on and off quite a bit. Maybe if my commute was on a flatter road I'd see more of a difference.

l also like the MDS.....it saves me a little gas. Not that it really matter that much in a 60K truck but that is besides the point, I have it so I use it. Also, I don't think you can hear a difference in sound unless you have an aftermarket exhaust system.
I can definitely hear and feel the difference with the stock exhaust.

It is nice to get more range out of a tank. 2 MPG more over a 32 gallon tank is 64 more miles
Glad you guys like it. If I was seeing that much of a difference I would use it. But since I'm not seeing 2 mpg I can't see much point in keeping it active.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I remember all the posts hating the 8 speed when it first came out. Some people hate change no matter the benefit of it. I read these posts about how bad the mds is I honestly cannot tell when it's on. But I see the benefits of it in gas mileage. These are awesome trucks.
I CAN tell when it comes on HOWEVER I do like it. If I am driving it hard it doesn't get in my way at all and the mpg gain is nice.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Had a Renegade with the 9-speed/2.4L as a loaner While Hemily was having some body work done (tailgate clearance warranty), and that gearbox seemed totally lost. Wouldn't stay in gear on a level highway at 75, touch the throttle and it would drop 3-4 gears (an not quickly). Seemed like it was shifting non-stop, a real change from the 8HP70/HEMI and sitting in 8th on the highway despite hills/wind.
It's called lack of TQ output........that's why it hunts so much. At that point just do a CVT

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
I mean I kinda figured that the 4 banger didn't have enough power for all those gears. The 200 with the Pentastar is not bad at all

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,464 Posts
I CAN tell when it comes on HOWEVER I do like it. If I am driving it hard it doesn't get in my way at all and the mpg gain is nice.
Maybe the Laramie with more sound insulation blocks it more not sure. I've tried but I can't hear or feel any difference and def not like some have described.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Maybe the Laramie with more sound insulation blocks it more not sure. I've tried but I can't hear or feel any difference and def not like some have described.
It's a feel thing that varies from person to person honestly, it's easy as heck in my dad's truck because of the felt power loss due to its driveline. Also once it was changed to an XR-1 it was super easy to tell.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It's called lack of TQ output........that's why it hunts so much. At that point just do a CVT
I mean I kinda figured that the 4 banger didn't have enough power for all those gears. The 200 with the Pentastar is not bad at all
I thought the biggest problem with it outside of the crap ride was that it had plenty of power, but was front wheel drive. BY FAR the worst torque steer i have ever encountered, to the point where it would jump to the right if i stepped on it without both hands on the wheel. AWD would have made it tolerable to drive, but there is a laundry list of things wrong with that vehicle.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
I thought the biggest problem with it outside of the crap ride was that it had plenty of power, but was front wheel drive. BY FAR the worst torque steer i have ever encountered, to the point where it would jump to the right if i stepped on it without both hands on the wheel. AWD would have made it tolerable to drive, but there is a laundry list of things wrong with that vehicle.
Rumor is the Journey will go into the next generation as a RWD vehicle, probably with AWD optional, and there will be a midsize (Avenger?) on the same platform. That would solve the torque steer issue.

I refuse to own a FWD vehicle

ETA for relevance: not sure what the shifters will look like

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
LS3 is king......
Love the LS3 in my Vette but really, the Vette guys make such a big deal about it "It's almost a race motor" blah blah blah. Seriously, LS3 436 hp/6.2 liter is 70.3 hp/l and the Hemi 395 hp/5.7 liter is 69.3 hp/l and it's a truck motor. The Hemi starts better, idles better. Yeah, the Vette sounds better because it's got the active exhaust that is practically straight pipes when it's open. Never drove a Chevy truck with an LS3, they are just too ugly.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Love the LS3 in my Vette but really, the Vette guys make such a big deal about it "It's almost a race motor" blah blah blah. Seriously, LS3 436 hp/6.2 liter is 70.3 hp/l and the Hemi 395 hp/5.7 liter is 69.3 hp/l and it's a truck motor. The Hemi starts better, idles better. Yeah, the Vette sounds better because it's got the active exhaust that is practically straight pipes when it's open. Never drove a Chevy truck with an LS3, they are just too ugly.
Heads, cam, pushrods and the LS3 is a 600hp engine, pair of 76s on an otherwise 100% stock engine with 70lb injectors is 900hp. Kinda hard to argue with the LS platform. However I didn't roll with it since I preferred having something even more esoteric than a 345 HEMI

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Heads, cam, pushrods and the LS3 is a 600hp engine, pair of 76s on an otherwise 100% stock engine with 70lb injectors is 900hp. Kinda hard to argue with the LS platform. However I didn't roll with it since I preferred having something even more esoteric than a 345 HEMI
Did you just say "heads and cam, but otherwise stock"?

Ain't nothing stock about that

161 - 180 of 206 Posts