DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My traction control and anti-lock brake lights recently came on. I took it to the dealership and they said it would be $115 to run a diagnosis. Hell no. I'm not paying that amount of money for them to plug a cable into my truck.

I took it to AutoZone to have them run a diagnosis but it came up blank because their OBD isn't compatible with my truck.

Does anyone know of an OBD scanner compatible with my truck?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
My traction control and anti-lock brake lights recently came on. I took it to the dealership and they said it would be $115 to run a diagnosis. Hell no. I'm not paying that amount of money for them to plug a cable into my truck.

I took it to AutoZone to have them run a diagnosis but it came up blank because their OBD isn't compatible with my truck.

Does anyone know of an OBD scanner compatible with my truck?

Thanks!
Huh? Which AutoZone did you go to? Apparently the one with morons. OBD II is universal. Now, some scanners will need to have different modules to read different vehicles, but beinst that they are a parts store, that shouldn't be a problem. Go to a different parts store. Preferably one without morons.

Reactions: Ric McC.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Huh? Which AutoZone did you go to? Apparently the one with morons. OBD II is universal. Now, some scanners will need to have different modules to read different vehicles, but beinst that they are a parts store, that shouldn't be a problem. Go to a different parts store. Preferably one without morons.
:LOL: thats funny

·
Addicted to the Z
15,440 Posts
Any OBDII scanner will work on your truck, in fact I built my own check out this thread http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=54769. :D However I ended up purchasing a bluetooth scanner from BlueDriver, it works wirelessly to my IPad and has tons of cool features. My SC tuner can also scan for codes. Just some options to consider.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Any OBDII scanner will work on your truck, in fact I built my own check out this thread http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=54769. :D However I ended up purchasing a bluetooth scanner from BlueDriver, it works wirelessly to my IPad and has tons of cool features. My SC tuner can also scan for codes. Just some options to consider.
Very impressive! The force is strong in this one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Auto Zone's scanner only reads "Check Engine" codes which are mostly smog related. For problems beyond smog and drivability issues you need a scanner that reads frame and other codes. Most of those are kinda spendy and will cost more than the $29 version. For the best you can spend literally thousands but you get what you pay for. Those have bidirectional controls that will not only allow your vehicle to tell it what the problem is, but will allow you to operate valves and motors too. Kinda like having an extra pair of hands. And yes, they can also do ABS Brake Bleeding. I bought a decent one for under $200 from Launch Tech USA. Which brings me to another point, there are lots of scanners made in China and you will only get service from them. And good luck trying to talk to customer service! LOL! Do your own research like I did. Google "Best OBD II Scanners", and watch videos. It took me weeks to finally decide. And fyi, there is Launch China and Launch USA. Like I said, be careful, it's tricky and confusing. And buyer beware, lots of them hide the fact you need to purchase upgrades and different modules for different vehicles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just saw this thread dated 2013-MUCH has changed.
Just ordered(Amazon) the OBD Link MX+(iPhone) for my 2018 Ram Tradesmen 6.4 gas(seems to be the go-to on YouTube)
Had bought a Foxwell NT510E and wouldn't work so returned-Discovered MANY scanners will NOT work on the 18"ram.Beware,one must press the seller with the question-Will it work on my truck....?
#If you already purchased it:Chinese sellers will say anything to get you to keep it beyond the 30 return(EBay) so you must be direct.
Heard from one subscriber that he bought a Launch Millenium 90-no details on it working.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts