DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I will be purchasing my first 3500 diesel SRW crew cab to tow our upcoming 5th wheel. I'm looking at used 2015-2018 year ranges with under 50K miles. Having never owned a diesel I've recently learned about all of the deleting (????) and programming people have done to their diesels. My question is if I buy from a non-Dodge dealer, how can I tell if the truck has been deleted or reprogrammed. Having never owned a diesel engine I want one that is stock. I don't want to pay a lot of money for a truck and then a year later have to spend a lot more money to fix it because somebody messed up the engine by deleting/reprogramming. Thanks in advance.

·
8,090 Posts
Deleting often improves the reliability of the engine and truck provided it's done right. However I get where you're coming from with wanting something fresh where you know where you stand.

If it's deleted the emissions equipment in the exhaust will be gone and there will be more of a "straight pipe" with no DPF or SCR filters. Very easy to see by looking under the truck. Another tell-tale sign would be if the EGR and cooler is removed from the engine however those don't have to be removed when deleting so it's not a for sure item.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What are the Stats?

Thanks for the replies. Ended up going with new 3500
I am a 2014 1500 Hemi driver that use to have a Travel Trailer and the truck pulled it just fine. But we are looking at a fifth wheel and need something more robust.

What are your everyday stats with the new diesel?
MPG?
any issues with DEF?
Have you towed anything with it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
708 Posts
One thing, read the owner's manual very thoroughly. 1 thing that I read in mine (Ecodiesel), in cold weather, put on a "winter front". Helps a lot on the warm up, even at 50F. Another thing the time to idle before shut down. I see so many guys with Diesels, just stop and shut off with no cool down. Congrats!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts