DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just finished an oil pump replacement on my 02 1500 4.7L and for future knowledge these issues I am about to tell you were not present before the tear down. So after starting the engine for the first time it had a rough idle and a little misfire and engine light came on with a problem on ignition coil number 6 and after the engine warmed up a bit then more codes on ignition coils 6,1,5,8,7. Every time I reset the codes it jumps between these. This is what I have done so far.

Fuel pressure 50
Tested coils
Bought new ignition coil and moved it around the cylinders and still receive same codes.
Inspected/cleaned plugs

After looking at the plugs it seems the ones on the left side of the engine are a golden brown and the ones on the right are black, so I did a quick compression test and left side is 150 PSI and the right is 120PSI. I'm fairly certain the timing was correct when I put everything back together and with the way the cam gears are installed its almost impossible to get them wrong. I did inspect my cam lobes and there was little wear and what was there was consistent throughout all the lobes. Before I pull things back apart I just wanted some advice, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I can't be a big help but what I can do is ask what mileage do you have on the truck, how much did you tear it down? What was the regular maintenance been like, plugs, oil changes? Did you do anything with the cam timing chains? All questions that need to be answered for the forum members to be able to assist you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 4.7 but if you had the cam gears off, it sounds like the right bank camshaft is mis-timed. My guess would be it's retarded, which would account for the lower cranking compression ( later intake valve closing point ). Perhaps you have it repaired already - and if so what was the problem? Good luck with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts