DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Confused about dodge anti-spin differential? Bought a 2019 ram 1500 classic hemi 6 months ago with a 3.92 gear ratio. The dealer told me I had an anti spin differential and it even said it on the car sticker. However now 6 months later I have jacked it up and looks like it’s an open diff since both the wheels move the opposite way while in park. (It’s rwd and not 4) Can someone explain, or was I lied to by dodge?

·
Registered
2014 8 Speed Hemi 3.92
1,416 Posts
Look up your VIN, it’ll show all standard and optional equipped features for free.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Confused about dodge anti-spin differential? Bought a 2019 ram 1500 classic hemi 6 months ago with a 3.92 gear ratio. The dealer told me I had an anti spin differential and it even said it on the car sticker. However now 6 months later I have jacked it up and looks like it’s an open diff since both the wheels move the opposite way while in park. (It’s rwd and not 4) Can someone explain, or was I lied to by dodge?
If you can move the wheels by hand while in park sounds like something is wrong since trans locks in park...

When you jack rear and its in neutral, if wheels spin same direction you have limited slip, if they spin opposite direction you have open differential.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If the transmission is in park (locked), and if the wheels are moved by hand slowly enough, opposite rotation is the way it should be. The limited slip will kick in as the difference in rotation gets more extreme, and with transmission in neutral, rotation should go to same direction. With transmission in park, it should bind and not want to move. I don't know how big the speed difference needs to be to get the clutch packs to bite. There's probably a spec test laid out in service documents somewhere about how much differential effect is allowed before the "limit" is reached. This is just one of many reasons I miss having access to a shop manual or a complete workshop information system.

From what OP said at the start of the thread, I suspect that things are okay. My truck has the anti-spin (limited slip) option, and I gave it a little work to do once or twice in the snow last winter - it performed fine.

EDIT - I am addressing how the LD clutch-pack limited slip (Anti-Spin) diffs work; the heavy duty (HD) axles are different, and I believe they are Torsen diffs, which will only rotate same direction when turning the axle by one wheel.

bspRAM

2018 Laramie 1500 CC, Peragon bed cover, Rhino spray-in bed liner, Bed Rug, OE bed lights, OE tow hooks, OE w-to-w tubular side steps

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Well, the easy, irresponsible way if you're not certain the Monroney sticker is right would be to stop on pavement and let 'er eat. If you leave 11's, anti-spin is there and working. If you leave a 1, there's something amiss. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for this element of humor - and truth ! I tend to be almost too much "gentle with the equipment" - except in emergency. Your advice takes me back (days of yesteryear) . . . . .

bspRAM

2018 Laramie 1500 CC, Peragon bed cover, Rhino spray-in bed liner, Bed Rug, OE bed lights, OE tow hooks, OE w-to-w tubular side steps

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I’ve done 3 burnouts each time it’s left 2 marks
Then you are indeed enjoying the benefits of the anti-spin / limited slip differential.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Thanks for this element of humor - and truth ! I tend to be almost too much "gentle with the equipment" - except in emergency. Your advice takes me back (days of yesteryear) . . . . .

bspRAM

I tend to go easy on my truck most of the time too. Back in the late 90's and 00's my cars were fed a constant diet of junkyard tires to appease my right foot. Now that tires are much more expensive (so are my vehicles for that matter) I tend to be a bit nicer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your 3:92 is no different from any other differential including fwd cars. Limited slip allows the diff to "lock" and place power on both wheels to improve traction. Some manufactures call it positraction, limited slip, whatever. It is all the same.. You have a diff that sounds like it is working correctly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just an FYI, under the right launch conditions you can get spin from both tire even in an open diff....I have done it a couple of times. I believe a lot of it has to do with the power output of our engines, i.e. enough traction and even traction that the engine over powers and both wheels spin

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I asked the tech at amsoil before ordering the H8P70trans oil and the rear dif oil he sail the 1500 4wd has it but again where does it say? VIN or something on the dif itself

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I asked the tech at amsoil before ordering the H8P70trans oil and the rear dif oil he sail the 1500 4wd has it but again where does it say? VIN or something on the dif itself
Why are you changing the transmission oil? It has a lifetime oil in it and only needs changing if you burn the oil. Do you know that this transmission does not have a dipstick to check level and there is a special procedure that you have to check it by removing a plug on the transmission while it's running and up to a specific temperature. Also to change the oil you have to drop the pan, which includes the transmission filter all in one. Then there is a special way to fill it and it even includes running the transmission. Also it uses a special oil and has to meet the requirements. If you do it wrong or wrong oil, you just bought yourself a transmission. This transmission is built by Chrysler with the permission from ZF transmission of Germany and is used in a lot of different vehicles from cars to trucks and is capable of handling 700 ftlbs of torque.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If the transmission is in park (locked), and if the wheels are moved by hand slowly enough, opposite rotation is the way it should be. The limited slip will kick in as the difference in rotation gets more extreme, and with transmission in neutral, rotation should go to same direction. With transmission in park, it should bind and not want to move. I don't know how big the speed difference needs to be to get the clutch packs to bite. There's probably a spec test laid out in service documents somewhere about how much differential effect is allowed before the "limit" is reached. This is just one of many reasons I miss having access to a shop manual or a complete workshop information system.

From what OP said at the start of the thread, I suspect that things are okay. My truck has the anti-spin (limited slip) option, and I gave it a little work to do once or twice in the snow last winter - it performed fine.

EDIT - I am addressing how the LD clutch-pack limited slip (Anti-Spin) diffs work; the heavy duty (HD) axles are different, and I believe they are Torsen diffs, which will only rotate same direction when turning the axle by one wheel.

bspRAM

In a anti-spin diff when the right drive wheel "spins" 7% the clutches on the left wheel engauge and there you go!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why are you changing the transmission oil? It has a lifetime oil in it and only needs changing if you burn the oil. Do you know that this transmission does not have a dipstick to check level and there is a special procedure that you have to check it by removing a plug on the transmission while it's running and up to a specific temperature. Also to change the oil you have to drop the pan, which includes the transmission filter all in one. Then there is a special way to fill it and it even includes running the transmission. Also it uses a special oil and has to meet the requirements. If you do it wrong or wrong oil, you just bought yourself a transmission. This transmission is built by Chrysler with the permission from ZF transmission of Germany and is used in a lot of different vehicles from cars to trucks and is capable of handling 700 ftlbs of torque.
I don’t consider anything lifetime without at least a break in oil change.If you’re lucky enough to be the owner of a new vehicle it’s on you if you don’t break in all the rotating parts properly then you can be whatever type of owner you want. Only problem is the pan must be replaced with a new one.I will take pictures if you want when I do it so we can see how much metal and clutch material has stuck to the multiple magnets in the OE pan.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It’s not as bad to do as the 14 glk250 7speed Mercedes I did that involved draining the torque converter as well a updated larger pan and overflow tube that a service bulletin called for.But to be honest I do have a lift that it fits on.If you were gonna tackle it watch Weber autos you tube video,and have courage man.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts