DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I'll be possibly buying a 2017 1500 Laramie 4X4 5.7L V8 from CarMax with 36K miles for about $36K. I have a couple questions first...
1) If it is in good shape is this a decent deal?
2) I'm worried about the transmission after 100K miles as I had issues in my 1996 Ram, 2000 Jeep, and 2014 Jeep and swore off all Crysler after that and yet here I am :oops:. Should I be concerned?
3) My other interest is a F150 because I really like the different drive modes like Eco and Sport. Does Ram have anything like that?
4) I'll be pulling a 6K+lbs boat... too much for this truck in the smokey mountains?
5) If you have a truck similar to this would you buy it again, what options would you have as a must, and what should I be aware of or concerned about going in?

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I attached an example truck I found near me. Single owner, accident free 17 Laramie with 36k miles for $33k. That’s a fair price. I’d stay away from CarMax I personally think the truck you mentioned is overpriced.

·
Registered
713 Posts
ZF 8 speeds are about as trouble free as any on the market. Same as Bently, BMW and others use. Only way that they could improve would be to put in the 90 series that the Hellcat uses. I know a guy on the Ecodiesel forums with almost 1,000,000 miles on his. He has only changed fluid at 100k intervals. If you want different modes, get a Pedal Commander, have had one on my 2017 Ecodiesel for almost 100,000 miles, love it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2016 Laramie 4x4 myself. Only thing I would recommend is that if Apple CarPlay or Android Auto is important to you double-check because I'm not sure if those were added in 2017 or 2018. 2016's don't have them and it's the only thing that bugs me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This week I'll be possibly buying a 2017 1500 Laramie 4X4 5.7L V8 from CarMax with 36K miles for about $36K. I have a couple questions first...
2) I'm worried about the transmission after 100K miles as I had issues in my 1996 Ram, 2000 Jeep, and 2014 Jeep and swore off all Crysler after that and yet here I am :oops:. Should I be concerned?
3) My other interest is a F150 because I really like the different drive modes like Eco and Sport. Does Ram have anything like that?
4) I'll be pulling a 6K+lbs boat... too much for this truck in the smokey mountains?
5) If you have a truck similar to this would you buy it again, what options would you have as a must, and what should I be aware of or concerned about going in?
I just sold mine last month for $35k. It had everything and I would get compliments for the unusual color and interior which I special ordered. However, for me the 2017 was a lemon, parts falling off, bad insulation, water leaks in the interior in several places, not just the third brake light but including that too, noisy squeaky interior etc. And on a personal note, I hated the short bed. I sold it and moved to a 2020 standard bed crew cab, a Laramie LongHorn that had everything on my wish list. It rides nicer and I'm really happy with the longer standard bed. The only issue with the new one is the horrible Harman Kardon sound system. The 2017 Alpine was far better. Everyone who rides with me has brought it up, that the older Alpine in the 2017 was a much better sound system. Previous to the 2017 I had a 2500 ith the Cummins Desiel for 12 years. That was the best RAM I've ever owned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. I have a 2016 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with 130,000 miles. I plow and tow a 7,500LB trailer, and (knock on wood), no issues. My trailer hookup has a leveling/anti sway device and I did install air bags in the rear coil springs.

I did purchase the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty knowing the mileage I drive.

As an F150 (2013 Ecco boost), owner, the F150 seemed to be built a little more tougher than the Ram.

Would I buy the 15000 again? I would go with the 2500 next round.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would look elsewhere for a comparable vehicle, or go private party. I got my 2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Lone Star Crew Cab at a dealership that was going out of business in 2018 for $25.9K with 30,500 miles. I've got nearly 70K trouble free miles on it. They are charging too much, IMHO. Car Max is a rip off, but if you love the truck, that is all that matters!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
when I bought my 17 Ram Sport in Jan. of 2017 I paid 40000 out the door on 52,800 sticker. My truck has heated and ventilated leather, alpine stereo, 32 gal. gas tank, 20 inch wheels, etc. I priced an F150 with same equipment and it was 9000 dollars more. I have had a couple of recalls and the exhaust manifold replaced. This is the best truck I ever had and I have had fords and chev. 58000 miles and rides likes a luxury car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.