DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a company that makes console gun safe for the 2019... can’t find any companies currently.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
Try the search on site here as gun safes have been talked about ... Also Google is your friend,, I found several there , I am not much help but give you a idea..

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a Console Vault in my 2015 and it is excellent. I checked their web site and they are not listing 2019's yet but they are a bit slow to update the site. I had to ask about a Jeep they had not updated yet but was available. So If you have not already, try contacting them through their site. They got back to me within a couple days.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The 19s have a pretty unique console, I am interested t see what the Console Vault for them will look like. I have one in my Ram and really like it because the truck didn't come with any lockable storage. I may get one for the Durango too

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm anxiously waiting for a vault too. Hopefully the 3rd parties will make one that is a better implementation that what Mopar offers.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Are these "Console Safes" or locker boxes hard-mounted...that is...robustly attached to the vehicle? If not, what's stopping the thief from just going with your entire mini-safe? That one from Mopar doesn't look like it would keep someone with a prybar out. Also, anything with a lock on it is an indicator to the bad guy that there's something there that you don't want him to get (a flag). Something that goes under the seat would be better than a big locking door on the top of the console.

I'm not really seeing the purpose. When you're in the vehicle, you need access to the gun, so it won't be in any safe, when you get out, you take it with you, and when you go home, you put it in your safe at home.

Under what circumstances would you want your gun in a safe in your vehicle? Is this to keep the guy who just broke into the truck from also breaking into your lockable storage and taking the gun? Or is this so you don't have to store it in your safe at home and just leave it in the truck all the time?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Are these "Console Safes" or locker boxes hard-mounted...that is...robustly attached to the vehicle? If not, what's stopping the thief from just going with your entire mini-safe? That one from Mopar doesn't look like it would keep someone with a prybar out.

I'm not really seeing the purpose. When you're in the vehicle, you need access to the gun, so it won't be in any safe, when you get out, you take it with you, and when you go home, you put it in your safe at home.

Under what circumstances would you want your gun in a safe in your vehicle? Is this to keep the guy who just broke into the truck from also breaking into your lockable storage and taking the gun? Or is this so you don't have to store it in your safe at home and just leave it in the truck all the time?
1- Yes, that's the whole point.
2- If you carry concealed a lot, then there are times when you will need to leave your weapon in the vehicle (courthouse or any other place with metal detectors).

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Are these "Console Safes" or locker boxes hard-mounted...that is...robustly attached to the vehicle? If not, what's stopping the thief from just going with your entire mini-safe? That one from Mopar doesn't look like it would keep someone with a prybar out. Also, anything with a lock on it is an indicator to the bad guy that there's something there that you don't want him to get (a flag). Something that goes under the seat would be better than a big locking door on the top of the console.

I mean, what if he breaks into your truck with a cutting torch?
Any safe can get broken into, all they do is buy you time and potentially make the robber feel like the juice isn't worth the squeeze. I think most vehicle robberies are smash and grabs, and even if not it will occupy him longer getting it open than just lifting the lid would.

If I am driving a lot I usually carry in a shoulder holster and don't remove the gun, but in addition to what Neurobit said its not just for guns. Passports, checkbooks, other valuables that you'd rather keep behind a locked door than an unlocked one go there too. My truck didn't come with any locking storage compartments so it gives me one-iDK about Mega and Crew Cabs.

Its not like the safe is out in the open so he's going to think "hmm, there are probably valuables in there" and decide to rob it when he otherwise wouldn't have. By the time he sees it he already broke into your truck and is rooting around under the console lid. At that point it either takes him longer to get into or he decides to break contact before the guy who owns the truck comes back and shoots/stabs/beats him to death-since its a good bet a guy who has one has a gun too. It fits much more than just your pistol-IIRC mine will fit 3 pistols with 3 mags a piece and 2 7.62 AK mags all at the same time.

I use mine to hide my wifes Christmas and birthday presents from her also

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just a lack of perspective on my part. I never considered the need for lockable storage inside the truck because A. I never leave anything valuable (like a gun) in the vehicle, and B. I figured the lock on the door makes the entire truck "lockable storage". If someone broke into my truck, probably the most valuable things they'd get is the SD card with my music collection, my flip-phone charger, a bag of Dum-Dums I keep in the console for the grand-kids, and my wicked cool sunglasses (12 bucks at the truck-stop). Even the my Ramboxes (which can be pried open with a medium sized screwdriver" don't contain anything that I'd lose sleep over if it got stolen.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I keep an air compressor, first aid kit, jumper cables, and fire extingusher in mine. All out of sight and not in locked storage, but its much easier to smash a window than get into a steel box in the console.

Whe I am moving for example though, I have important documents and stuff I don't trust the movers with in the truck. Eventually you need to stop for food and fuel, and its a safer place for those things than just sitting in the cab

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just a lack of perspective on my part. I never considered the need for lockable storage inside the truck because A. I never leave anything valuable (like a gun) in the vehicle, and B. I figured the lock on the door makes the entire truck "lockable storage". If someone broke into my truck, probably the most valuable things they'd get is the SD card with my music collection, my flip-phone charger, a bag of Dum-Dums I keep in the console for the grand-kids, and my wicked cool sunglasses (12 bucks at the truck-stop). Even the my Ramboxes (which can be pried open with a medium sized screwdriver" don't contain anything that I'd lose sleep over if it got stolen.
The locked door in your truck can be opened in about 5 seconds by an experienced thief, and that's if they don't smash the window. That's the whole reason for lockable storage.

·
Registered
255 Posts

Most vehicle thefts are smash and grabs since time is of the essence. They'll smash the window and just grab whatever is easily accessible. I bought the ConsoleVault two years ago when I was taking a trip through New Mexico and Colorado. I wanted to keep my Glock and extra cash in it rather than carrying it to the hotel rooms and the ConsoleVault is so heavy, well built and secured in the console, a thief would have to spend far too much time trying to tear apart the console in the hopes of making off with the vault which for all he knows is empty. It gives me great peace of mind anytime I need to leave anything of value in the truck and I've learned to operate the combo lock by feel in a few seconds. This is one of those rare products that really works, comes in handy and really is useful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Safe under rear seat of Crew Cab

I can't seem to find any safes that are made for under the rear seat of the crew cab of 2019 Ram 1500. Looking for one that is under the entire back seat. I have looked everywhere. Any ideas?

·
Registered
110 Posts
With todays technology I am surprised they haven't come out with one that uses biometrics (finger print) entry mechanism like the small gun safes we can get for home. That would be, to me the fastest means of entry in case of an emergency. I have one on the back of the headboard on the bed that I can touch without looking at it and it never fails to work.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I can't seem to find any safes that are made for under the rear seat of the crew cab of 2019 Ram 1500. Looking for one that is under the entire back seat. I have looked everywhere. Any ideas?
I am nit sure they had those for the 4th gens, but if they come out with them it usually takes a year or two for the aftermarket to catch up

1 - 20 of 21 Posts