DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are replacing the struts on our 2011 ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4wd. We got the struts off and decided to replacing the bushings in the lower control arm we got the bushing out but are struggling to get a new bushing in. We don't want to have to take the control arm off the truck. Any one have any tips, or things that worked for them? Truck is down until we can get this back in....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I made a press using a 10 in 5/8 bolt some washers and a piece of metal pipe. Put the bolt through the bushing and control arm, put the piece of pipe then a washer and nut on the other side. Tighten the bolt and it will pull the bushing in. If you search you can find some youtube videos on it. It also helps to freeze the bushing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just went through this this week. What a battle on the drivers side. The lower bolt was fused to the inner sleeve in the bushing. Torches, air chisels, cutoff wheels, and finally renting two ball joint and axle presses from a local advanced auto got them out.

i was appalled by the surface rust on the stock strut assembly. The top nut to undo the strut from the spring was beyond recognition from rust. I had to compress the spring, sawzall the strut rod shaft, and then bring the spring top cover assembly over the vise and air chisel the hell out of what used to be the nut. Finally got them, too. Tremendous battle. I decided based on all the rust to just buy new springs and insulators... and it is all NLA from Dodge. I was able to reuse the old stuff.

All that aside, found a seized caliper so addressed that too. And the Bilstein 1500 setup rides very well. Much less chattering across interstate expansion joints.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts